Computer Help forum

General discussion

desktop very slow to load

by hartlanders / September 4, 2009 12:39 AM PDT

I have windows vista home premium on a pavillion slimline s7700e
computer i have 1GB ram a dual core prcessor and 160 GB hard drive.
I have this problem with the desktop taking 3.0 minutes to load after i sign-in with my password.I have super spyware,malware bytes and avast anti-virus free edition.I scan for spyware and it shows no spyware.It loads ok when i go to selective startup.I am at a loss as to what causes this.
Thanks for any help,Edward

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: desktop very slow to load
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: desktop very slow to load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thigns to try
by jeff_windows_team / September 4, 2009 1:00 AM PDT

Start by limiting your computer to running one anti-virus and one anti-spyware program at a time. You might want to take a look at what other programs are loading at startup and disable ones that are unnecessary.

Collapse -
Vista on 1.0 GB RAM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2009 1:03 AM PDT

Is going to be slow going. I'd not fix a thing yet. Maybe you can upgrade to Windows 7 real soon (October) and avoid more RAM.

Collapse -
Try these things:
by d_adams / September 4, 2009 6:26 AM PDT

Here are a few things to do:

1. Only use one anti virus program at a time. Only one is necessary, and it takes a long time for even one of them to start up when you log in.
2. Upgrade to 2GBs of memory. 1GB is a little small for Home Premium. Since you can probably do this for less than $20, it's a no-brainer.
3. Defragment your hard disk once a week. You can set the defragment program to automatically do this.
4. Eliminate any startup programs that you don't use. Have the computer only start up the programs that are absolutely required, like your virus software. Excess startup programs are usually the cause of slow startup.
5. Try to shut the computer off as little as possible. Use sleep mode instead.
6. Upgrade to Windows 7 a few months after it's released. I tried the trial version, and it seemed to run a good deal better than Vista. But, wait a few months so they can work out all the bugs and problems that will surely arise as soon as it's released to the public.

Thats about all the tricks I know. I have an older Dell with Vista Home Premium. It now has 3GBs of memory, cheap dual core AMD processor, and a 5400 RPM hard drive. With those specs, it's about maxed out, but it still takes about 2 minutes to start up.

Like I said above, the virus software is probably one of the things slowing the computer down the most. I have just one program (Live OneCare), and it takes about 45 seconds to start it up. Besides, you really only need one program.

I really doubt that a virus or malicious program is your problem. It isn't uncommon for a Vista computer to take 2-6 minutes to startup, because computer manufacturers put the operating system in computers that cannot run it very well in order to make cheaper machines. It's just the way it is, and you can't do much much about it, other than buy a really fancy, expensive, computer.

Try these things out, and you'll probably be able to get it down to 2 minutes or less.

Collapse -
re:slow loading
by hartlanders / September 4, 2009 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Try these things:

Thanks to all very much!I will try the tips and will post results.

Collapse -
Thank you
by JessicaD42 / September 8, 2009 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Try these things:

Thank you for evaluating Windows 7 and it's great to hear that you are enjoying your experience so much! If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here:

Microsoft Windows Client Team

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.