Desktops

General discussion

Desktop specs for video editing

by bruceg17 / April 15, 2005 5:41 AM PDT

I am mostly doing basic functions like Word and Excel, but I would like to edit video. Aside from having a firewire port, what kind of processing power, memory, hard drive, etc. do I need to have? I would prefer to keep the cost to a minimum, below $1,000 if possible. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop specs for video editing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop specs for video editing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Recently replaced, but what I used to use was...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2005 6:24 AM PDT

An Acer TER-600 with a P3 600 MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, 40 GB 5400 RPM drive and Windows 2000. The video wasn't anything special and it worked for years.

Today you would be hard pressed to find a new laptop with lesser specs.

Bob

Collapse -
desktop specs
by ozos / April 17, 2005 11:37 AM PDT

um, i'd say a Pentium 4 as they do excellent in encoding
you could do a Pentium 4 2.66A (newegg has them for around $144 retail box (you get a HSF with it))

and then 512MB to 1GB of RAM (either 2x256 or 2x512) and then for the hard drive you get what you need
if it was me, i'd get a 120GB Maxtor as it'll cost around $75-$80 and work fine (it's ATA-133 2MB cache, yeah it's older school, but it gets the job done)

and then you could consider a sound card with multiple inputs/outputs, or a video/audio capture card...or just get the Firewire port and (never used Firewire for video camera connection) audio capture (unles audio moves over the Firewire, i know Firewire is easily capable, BUT I don't know if it's used for both)

Collapse -
What about the Mac Mini?
by bruceg17 / April 18, 2005 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: desktop specs

I have used both Windows and Mac. My old Power PC was always more stable than any Windows machine so I would not mind going back. Can the Mac Mini handle the video editing?

Collapse -
What about the Mac Mini?
by jcrobso / April 18, 2005 7:34 AM PDT

Can the Mac Mini handle the video editing? YES!!! What is
iMovie!! iDVD!! Final Cut!!! What is firewire!!. John

Collapse -
(never used Firewire for video camera connection)
by jcrobso / April 18, 2005 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: desktop specs

Never?? Well you are missing out. Firewire is the best way to capture video and audio. From some video software programs you can operate the camera controlls. John

Collapse -
i don't film...
by ozos / April 18, 2005 11:07 AM PDT

i don't use digital cameras of any kind
i'll keep my 35MM SLR and Hi-8 Video camera until I HAVE TO buy new ones (i just got my SLR, and it's not going away, as for the Hi-8, it's older (but still nice) and if i was replacing it, i'd go digital (i don't use it enough, read: once a year)

so aside from that
i just remembered the Mac Mini
a friend was doing his video editing work on it, the thing just ate it right up, and for $500 it's a great deal

i'd get that

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.