Windows Vista forum

Question

Desktop image and fonts stretched horizontally

by ksteil / July 9, 2011 1:28 PM PDT

I had a new video card installed by a Dell technician. The desktop image and fonts are distorted horizontally now - very annoying.
Have tried on the Control Panel under Personalization, Display Settings, to follow the suggestions listed there. After every re-boot the problem is still there or even worse.
My PC is a Dell XPS 420 with Vista.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop image and fonts stretched horizontally
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop image and fonts stretched horizontally
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just Some Suggestions...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 11, 2011 8:39 AM PDT

1. Visit the video card manufacturer's website and download, then install the latest driver for that card.. (If it's the same default card as came with the computer, then the correct driver may reside at the Dell website.

2. Change the screen resolution to something other than you currently have it.. (RIGHT click on the desktop, choose "Personalize", then select "Display Settings", then move the resolution slider to a different number. If you wish to increase the resolution above the default; and you must remember that your monitor must support this new resolution, then click the Advanced Settings button, then click the Monitor tab. In the monitor tab window remove the tick mark from the 'hide modes that this monitor cannot display', then click Apply followed by OK. An extended display resolution range should now be available.) Depending on the size of the monitor, which you didn't give us, you may need to change it to the default "native resolution" for things to look good. Give us a little more information and we might be able to tell you the native resolution for the monitor you're using.

3. If you've already done the above steps, then occasionally the constant changing of the display settins is caused by a faulty codec that may have been installed. Try removing any unusually codecs that you may have installed for your system.

In addition, if your system has the option for dual monitors in your Display settings, make sure you have the monitor set as "primary".

And finally, and this seems to work for most, click on Start, then type "Run" in the search box, then press the "Enter" key. Now type "msconfig" (without the quotes), in the Run line and click on OK. When the System Configuration Utility opens, in the "Boot" tab, UNCHECK the box next to "Base Video", then click on "Apply", then OK and restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
font and images stretched
by ksteil / July 11, 2011 10:25 AM PDT

Hi, Grif
Thank you for your reply and suggestions! I will certainly copy and file them away for reference.
I was neglectful in not posting earlier as to what I had found out in the mean time.
I researched Dell's help pages without any success and couldn't get onto their forums for annoying reasons
I don't want to go into.
So I kept trying and finally found that the video card their technician had installed has it's own control panel! Therefore, any changes in resolution I made on my PC's control panel did not fix the problem.
I don't know what I would do without the wonderful people on this Forum who share their knowledge and are
interested enough to help others.
Thanks again Happy
Karin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.