Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Desktop Icons won't move

by BKennelly / March 10, 2009 1:20 PM PDT

I can't get the icons on my Windows XP computer to move at all. I can't even drag them to the other side of the screen.

Any suggestions on this rather annoying problem.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop Icons won't move
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop Icons won't move
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read about this PRANK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2009 2:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by BKennelly / March 10, 2009 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Read about this PRANK.

Thanks for your advice but I don't think that is my problem my icons still work at this time I just can't move or drag them anywhere.

Collapse -
When you right click the Desktop
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 10, 2009 7:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

and select "Arrange Icons By ->", what options are selected?

There should be the following;

Name
Size
Type
Modified
---------------------
Show in Groups, (may be greyed out)
Auto Arrange
Align to Grid
---------------------
Show Desktop Icons
Lock Web Items on Desktop
Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard.

Which ones are selected on your display?

I just have "Align to Grid" and "Show Desktop Icons" selected.

Mark

Collapse -
It didn't work
by BKennelly / March 11, 2009 7:55 AM PDT

I had the same ones selected and the icons still will not move.

Collapse -
Prank
by SolutioneeringNJ / March 11, 2009 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: It didn't work

The prank would be my guess. I enacted this prank on a few co-workers and it drove them crazy.

Collapse -
I still don't think that it is a prank
by BKennelly / March 11, 2009 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Prank

The icons still work, I can still double click on the icon and get the application to start. I just can't move them around the desktop

I hope that cleared a few things up, once again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Microsoft's answer???
by SolutioneeringNJ / March 11, 2009 11:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 11, 2009 8:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Microsoft's answer???

I haven't seen anything about RPC's effect like those before.

A good find, and hopefully the answer to this problem.

Mark

Collapse -
RPC?
by BKennelly / March 12, 2009 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting.

Not sure if I follow you about RPC? What does RPC even stand for?

Thanks for your help in advance

Collapse -
Re: RPC?
by Tufenuf / March 12, 2009 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: RPC?

BKennelly, RPC stands for "Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service" which the Microsoft link states but I don't believe that is your problem and messing with it can cause big problems. Try right clicking your Desktop, choose "Properties", under the "Desktop" tab click the "Customize Desktop" button under the "Web" tab make sure that ALL boxes are unchecked, click OK/Apply/OK.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service
http://www.theeldergeek.com/remote_procedure_call_(rpc).htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Worth a try
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 12, 2009 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: RPC?

Tuf's option is certainly worth a try.

But if that fails, just have a look at the RPC Service.

You can get to the Services Console by going to Start > Run, type in services.msc and click OK. When the console opens, scroll down and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC). You may have to drag the "Name" column header divider to the right to see the whole name, and 'do not' get the entry confused with the one below, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator.

If the Services Console does not list any entries, then that is a sign that RPC has been disabled. In which case you would have to edit the registry as stated in the Microsoft link given above.

Remote Procedure Control (RPC) should be set to "Manual" if your XP is below SP2, or "Automatic" if your XP is SP2 or above. You can change the setting by double clicking the entry, and then in the "Startup type:" select (Manual/Automatic). If you want to start it straight away, click Start if the button is available.

Mark

Collapse -
WHEN YOU RIGHT THE DESKTOP
by TORNADO_CYCLONE / May 6, 2009 3:48 PM PDT

WHEN I RIGHT THE DESK AND CURSOR OVER THE ARRANGE ICONS BY OR RIGHT THE TASK BAR AND SELECT TOOLBARS EVERYTHING TO THE RIGHT OF IT IS GREYED OUT. HOW DO I RESTORE IT SO I CAN ACCESS THESE?

TORNADO

Collapse -
WHEN YOU RIGHT CLICK THE DESKTOP
by TORNADO_CYCLONE / May 6, 2009 4:07 PM PDT

I AM USING XP PRO AND I HAVE YET TO GET AN ANSWER TO ANY OF MY QUESTIONS ON THIS SITE. WONDER WHY?

WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON THE DESKTOP AND SELECT THE ARRANGE ICONS BY OPTION ALL THE LIST TO THE RIGHT IS GREYED OUT. HOW DO I RESTORE IT. CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION FOR ME?

Collapse -
Re: WHEN YOU RIGHT CLICK THE DESKTOP
by Tufenuf / May 6, 2009 10:07 PM PDT

TORNADO_CYCLONE, Right click your Desktop, choose Properties, under the Desktop tab click the Customize Desktop button, under the Web tab make sure that ALL boxes are unchecked, click OK/Apply/OK.

Also check out the link below.

http://www.winxptutor.com/showdesktopicons.htm

Did you download some screensavers as some are known to cause problems?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Another possibility
by DADSGETNDOWN / May 7, 2009 7:35 AM PDT

ALL THOSE CAPS are like shouting/ugly/disrespect etc and so on, and not cool.

I wonder if maybe your parents or someone has installed a program preventing you from doing this, or maybe you have a non legit copy.

Collapse -
Besides the prank/malware/virus
by DADSGETNDOWN / March 13, 2009 12:22 PM PDT

Either "Auto Arrange" is checked, or maybe the "arrange by area".
Or Reboot and see what happens.
Did you mess with svcs or ms configuration ?

Collapse -
I Don't Believe So?
by BKennelly / March 13, 2009 2:31 PM PDT

I am pretty sure that I haven't messed with ms configuration, and we have tried many reboots none of which have worked.

Couple questions though even though I am pretty sure I haven't messed with it what does svcs stand for so I can make sure that I haven't messed with it?

and I have never seen an arrange by area option is that an option that Windows XP would have to solve this issue? if so where is it located?

Thank for all of your help

Collapse -
Arrange icons by
by DADSGETNDOWN / March 13, 2009 6:28 PM PDT
In reply to: I Don't Believe So?

Right click ON the desktop the menu that pops up has at the very top
"Arrange Icons By" and you move your mouse up to that and it swings open with choices, IF Auto Arrange is selected deselect it (select it again in other words).
Auto Arrange will not let you move them, other things like low resources, spyware and things like that too.
Svcs I will leave to someone else, you really don't want to mess with those unless you knwo what they do, or someone knowledgeable tells you to.
They all do different things. and Could be anything.

Collapse -
Icons wont move
by Chilllout / March 22, 2012 2:27 AM PDT

yeah the auto arrange setting is the one whos holds your icon to the desktop.. thanks this has been helpful

Collapse -
Desktop Icons Won't Move
by arizkid / March 13, 2009 3:26 PM PDT

Had the same problem, one of the ladies on this forum provided the following for me and it corrected the problem:

Copy one of the below, and paste it into your START/RUN/OPEN and run it, then do the same with the otherone..... don't ask me what they do (maybe someone on the forum can tell us) the only thing I know is it solved my problem....

regsvr32 ole32.dll

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Hope it works as well for you as it did for me, that was rather irritating to say the lest.....

Ed Parker

Collapse -
ok
by kyrgatos / December 9, 2010 12:27 AM PST

Yes, that worked for me also

Collapse -
Thanks ArizKid!
by SuperDestroyer / May 14, 2012 10:11 PM PDT

Running "regsvr32 ole32.dll" and "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" worked for me as well! Not sure how I created the problem in the first place though..?

Collapse -
Desktop Icons Won't Move
by Rabbiedab / August 16, 2012 3:10 AM PDT

This suggestion of "registering" worked as indicated. Thank you for the info. One other thing though... when I double-click my icons in START and the QUICK LAUNCH they do not work unless I right-click and select "Open". I'm curious what the reason for this is!

Thanks Again to A-L-L of you who take the time to assist your associates in staying productive.
---Rabbiedab

Collapse -
Long time ago...
by bsalaengphan / May 7, 2013 6:34 PM PDT

.. but I found myself stuck with Windows XP and got this problem.. Your solution works, thanks a lot, I spent nearly all day on this until I found your simple answer. (PS a lightening strike threw a lot of stuff off balance here)

Collapse -
This worked for me
by jimmiji / April 28, 2010 12:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
try hitting ESC key few times.
by Venkatesh_babu_as / February 19, 2013 12:58 AM PST

Try pressing ESC key few times, i had similar issue and this resolved my issue

Collapse -
worked for me
by TheeBOBJohnson / August 19, 2013 4:53 AM PDT

The 'ESC' trick worked for me on my Windows 7. I wonder what was selected or had focus that was preventing me from moving icons...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.