Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Desktop icons and taskbar properties keep changing, HELP!!!

by Steven8557 / January 17, 2007 1:39 AM PST

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem with my desktop. I keep placing my icons where I want them on the desktop and every time I either reboot or refresh the desktop they jumble up again. The only thing I have checked in the properties menu is "Show Desktop Icons". I have installed "Icon Restore" and it works until I run a program, open a browser, or even open "My Computer". When I close whatever I am working on and return to the desktop, everything is jumbled again. In addition, the taskbar properties keep changing on reboot. On the Properties menu I have "Keep the taskbar on top" etc., "Group similar" etc., and "Show Quick Launch" checked. I also have several items in the notifications area set to "always show". On reboot, the "Show Quick Launch" becomes unchecked, and the notification area items either change to "hide when inactive" or become part of the "Past Items" list.
I have tried various virus scans (I have AVG installed), spyware and adware programs (I have Adaware, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster installed), and registry programs(CCleaner, EasyClean, and WinPatrol). Nothing unusual ever comes up. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any suggestions, fixes, links, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Steven

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop icons and taskbar properties keep changing, HELP!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop icons and taskbar properties keep changing, HELP!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Taskbar
by 1101doc / January 17, 2007 2:08 PM PST

Try the repair tool from Kelly's for the taskbar:http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm While you're there, look through his other stuff-might have something for the icons.

You might be interested in my approach to icon control:

Rt. click your taskbar.
Hover over "toolbars."
Choose "new toolbar.

In the "New Toolbar dialog box left click "Desktop," to highlight.
Choose "Make New Folder" button at lower left.
OK

You now have a "New Folder" on you desktop. BUT.
This is a Toolbar Folder!
Drag the folder to any open margin of your screen(left,right,or top) and drop it there.
You now have a new toolbar!

Go to the little bumpy line at the top of the new toolbar and Rt. click.
Choose "Always on top."
Do it again and choose "Auto-hide."
Now the toolbar will pop out when you bump that Desktop margin with your cursor.
Other Rt. click context choices are "Show text" (gives title of icons)
and "Show title." (Displays name of toolbar) " View" offers large or small icons.

But wait! The "New Folder" is still on the Desktop. Rename it as you wish, but leave it there.
Any shortcut icon you drag and drop into that folder appears in your new toolbar
AND disappears from your Desktop!

Shortcuts in the toolbar are one-click launch shortcuts, just like "Quick Launch."
All normal Rt. click shortcut icon context functions are available inside the toolbar.
Drag and drop inside the toolbar to arrange icons.

If you move the toolbar folder off the Desktop, you will lose all your icons.
Ditto if you put it in a containing folder. Just leave it there. To completely clear the desktop,
Rt. click an open space and untick "Show desktop Icons." Rt. click Taskbar>Toolbars>tick Desktop.
Now you will have a small vertical pop-up toolbar over by the systray for desktop icons.

YES! You can do the same for the other empty margins of your Desktop and have four
Quick Launch toolbars that autohide, but are always on top even when you have the screen
full of something else. (I leave the Taskbar up and autohide the other three, but that's up to you.
Now when you get a new shortcut on your Desktop you can just drop it in whichever toobar you want.

To customize the covers of your three remaining desktop items
(I added a fourth-work folder-for balance)
Rt. click,choose "Properties">Customize>Change Icon.
Here you can select one of Windows' lovely preinstalled icons,
or "Browse" your computer for your own icons.

You now have a Desktop with only three or four customized icons and
nothing else but your beautiful wallpaper AND all your regularly used
Shortcuts are always avaliable in one click.

Collapse -
Icon Restore
by dbchetola / January 17, 2007 8:42 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.