Desktops forum

General discussion

Desktop - Floor or Desk?

by forgottenman / January 21, 2011 8:53 AM PST

I've recently been informed that my computer at work is a "desktop" style computer & may not be placed on the floor, but rather must be placed on my valuable & space-limited desk. Is this true? What do the manufacturers say?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desktop - Floor or Desk?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desktop - Floor or Desk?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
dust, etc.
by steve66 / January 21, 2011 11:39 AM PST

My guess is that there could be cable clutter on the floor. Or, more likely, they're worried about dust. Computers do get dirtier on the floor and are less likely to be cleaned. Dust inside the box is not good.

Collapse -
by mopscare42 / January 21, 2011 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: dust, etc.

Never heard of that before. As Steve66 said maybe they think it would stay cleaner on the desk.
At one time I did networking, computer installation and repair for a major bank and not once did I see or install a desktop computer on top of a desk. They were always placed on the floor,under the desk or counter out of the way. It was also much easier making the cables nice and tidy that way. If it was a carpeted floor, we put a plastic mat under them.

Collapse -
Now what?
by forgottenman / January 23, 2011 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: ????

Thank you, Steve66 & mopscare42. So, there's no such thing as a "desk"top that cannot be placed on the floor? I can appreciate an IT guy's desire to reduce dust, reduce the chances of it getting kicked, as well as his desire to make it easier for himself to access it, etc., but I'm having a hard time with grasping that those things would summarily outweigh the everyday deteriment to the user that has to work around it. I've also heard that by the time dust builds up to a point that it may cause an issue, the hardware is long obsolete & past it's useful life anyway. . .

Collapse -
I have a Desktop on the floor
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 23, 2011 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Now what?

although I have elevated it off the carpet using 4 old house bricks. That allows air to circulate all around the case and give sit a firm standing.

It's an older Desktop and my newer one sits on a special cabinet to my side, so the one on the floor isn't ideal, but it works.

Dust build up is a potential problem much sooner than old age gets to the hardware. We generally recommend a yearly house clean by opening the case and using an air aerosol to remove the dust from fans, circuit boards and air vents.

Collapse -
by technut81 / January 22, 2011 7:40 AM PST

Well for the most part a "desktop" is a generic term. However, there are some computers that are better situated sitting on a desk vs the floor. If you frequently access your CD-rom or any other part of your computer then it is more practical to have your computer on the desk. Likewise if you work in a dirty enviornment then it should be on the desk.

On the flipside, most tower style pc's are designed to be placed on the floor. But there is the danger that they can be kicked or cables ripped out of them (both of which happen frequently at my work).

Bottom line, if your boss says that your company provided PC must be on your desk then they have most likely identified reasons for that and it is in your best interest to make do. I would suggest that maybe you start researching on organization practices to ease the clutter on your desk.

Collapse -
Hmmm....I think of the 'desktop style PC's' as like those
by VAPCMD / January 22, 2011 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: hmmmmm

from the old Leading Edge, AST, Everex, Compaq, etc., where the case sat long side down (horizontally) on the desk.

On the other hand, towers were specifically designed to run standing vertically whether they were located on the floor or alternatively on the desk.

While my tower is a full tower and could easily sit on the floor, I have it sitting on the desk vertically for easier access and less dust inside.

Collapse -
The case sits vertically with a little base that holds it
by forgottenman / January 23, 2011 4:19 AM PST

upright. They are only a couple of months old.
So it sounds like your vote would be to place it on the desk based primarily upon how you use it. As the user, I was never given the option. . .thank you, VAPCMD!

Collapse -
IT guy vs. boss
by forgottenman / January 23, 2011 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: hmmmmm

Thanks for the input, technut81. . .that's good info. I almost never access it. Our office is kept impeccably clean, too. It was our IT guy that laid a blanket claim that the "desktop style computer is not designed to go on the floor, & therefore must go on the desk". That's what didn't pass the smell test. Being the accepted authority in our office on all things IT, who were me or my boss to second guess him? We have a pretty wide area under our desks & could easily place it underneath outside of the line of kicking-fire, so to speak. I am quite organized, & can & will work around it, but I did want to explore the claim. Thanks, again!

Collapse -
Workplace system
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 23, 2011 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: IT guy vs. boss

Whatever we say, of course we could not offer any argument against policy in the workplace.

Personal preference often has to make way for such workplace considerations.

Collapse -
Well said, Mark. . .
by forgottenman / January 23, 2011 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Workplace system

. . .Or as Voltaire once said: "It is dangerous to be right when the accepted authority is wrong."
Thanks, again!

Collapse -
Very true,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 23, 2011 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: Well said, Mark. . .

and I forgot another consideration. Cleaners!

In the UK we have office cleaners who do a great job. Anything left on the floor gets vacuumed, polished, kicked, dumped in the trash, or moved. Often, all of those things. We learned never to leave anything on the floor if we wanted to see them or use them again! Happy

It could be an important factor where you work.

Collapse -
ahhh IT
by technut81 / January 24, 2011 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: IT guy vs. boss

While I don't want to bash on IT people, in a lot of companies (mine included) IT departments are not always full of the brightest individuals. Often times they will come up with policies to make their job easier.

As I mentioned above if you have a Tower PC then it is fine on the floor. Personally, I don't like the idea of computers on the floor - but that is just personal preference.

If your IT guy wants your computer on your desk and you feel its just out of laziness then put it on your desk - and then put all your files, books, plants, office toys, etc directly in front of it and see how he will like doing service jobs after that Happy (think that is mean you should see how I treat my local Geek Squad people).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.