Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Desk top Icons Won't Stay Put

by Longblades / June 28, 2008 2:43 AM PDT

The background for my desktop is a photo of my dog. I have the icons arranged around the perimeter so her face shows. The icons are also clustered according to use; work, fun, utilities etc. But every now and then they all just jump into grid formation in the top left of the screen, and in no particular order. This happens quite sporadically. It can take a couple of months between these jumps or happen once a week. It does happen sometimes after a power outage, but not always. It happens when I start the computer up in the morning, there they all will be, rearranged. Is there anything I can do to prevent them leaving the order and placement I wish to have them in?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Desk top Icons Won't Stay Put
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Desk top Icons Won't Stay Put
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Desk top Icons Won't Stay Put
by Tufenuf / June 28, 2008 2:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks. Have Done. Now It's Wait and See n/t
by Longblades / June 29, 2008 6:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Be aware that periodically ...
by Edward ODaniel / June 29, 2008 8:36 AM PDT

the icons may still "rearrange" themselves for various reasons.

That is why the utility has both the "save ... layout" (use every time you make a change to the desktop that you want saved) and the "Restore ... layout" options.

A slightly better option (better being relative) is WinTidy which allows saving different named layouts for different situations and even resolutions.

Collapse -
Icon Restore was Terrible
by Longblades / August 7, 2008 4:29 AM PDT

I did try it but now my icons move every time I restart the computer. Yes, I can restore them, but now I have to restore them every time I start up. This is worse than before. I have just uninstalled icon restore, a feat that requires the download of a separate utility, why is that? Now I will try the second option suggested. P.S. I was at one time using a room planning program that required a change of resolution but have not done so for months.

Collapse -
inspiron 910 mini scattering icons
by bobscomputers / October 18, 2008 2:01 AM PDT

SEEMS NOTHING WORKED TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM, THEN I LOOKED INTO THE VIDEO DRIVERS. THE NEW DRIVERS FOR THE SMALL SCREEN ARE NOT NATIVE DRIVERS,
WHEN SET IN 800X600 THE ICOND STOP SCATTERING THERE ARE ONLY 2 SETTINGD 1 NATIVE , 1 ODD BALL SO SETTING IT AT 800X 600 SOLVED THE PROBLEM

Collapse -
Resolution changes, even color count changes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2008 2:12 AM PDT

Results in icons finding new screen positions. Heck even tapping F5 can cause icons to move.

-> You might be asking "Why?"

Sadly the reasons are far too many and there is little hope I could list them all.
Bob

Collapse -
There is ONE solution
by DerfX / February 14, 2009 11:32 PM PST

Buy a quality UPS

Nothing ever moves or changes one bit on my machine unless I move it.

Collapse -
Try to set a proper resolution
by tom11723 / February 14, 2009 11:21 PM PST

I have similar problem and resolved. My observation:

I have accidentally set the screen resoltuion to 1024x722. Then Windows XP start doing the "auto rearrange the desktop icons" lining up icons from top left corners each time I reboot.

After I fixed the resolution to 1024x768, the icons stay in their position without further problem on reboot.

I think it is because Windows found that the user defined resolution does not match the driver allow resoltion and try to remap cause the reset operation. May be the display driver only allow some discreate etting say 640x480, 800x640, 1024x768. Any setting outside these setting could cause windows xp to doing something to resolve the difference - hence rearrange the icons.

Collapse -
desktop icons won't stay put
by omegadirective3 / October 26, 2009 11:54 AM PDT

what you need to do is right click the desktop, and the first selection is "arrange icons by, and deselect auto arrange and auto grid and that will solve your problem.

Collapse -
Nope....
by sonnystarks / September 1, 2013 3:43 AM PDT

Does not work as a reboot solution. One must reprogram reboot somehow...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.