Speakeasy forum

Derek's friend

by TONI H / March 16, 2013 6:34 AM PDT

Chris Pike.........US Navy Seal, Chief

Derek and Chris were stationed together in San Diego, lived next door to each other off base, and were good friends. Did crazy things together with other friends, like having a tug of war with their two pickup trucks, smoking tires in the street, with neighbors standing around in their pajamas enjoying the show.

Chief Pike was Special Ops on a mission in Afghanistan, up on a rooftop, when he and four other Seals took enemy fire. He was alone on the rooftop and was shot in the head, but one of his team risked his own life to bring him down from the rooftop, gave life support until the helicopter could get to him...all the while the four of his team returned heavy fire to clear the way for the helicopter. Most of the enemy were killed with a few running away.

This happened last Saturday.......Chris was flown to Germany and kept on life support until his mother could arrive and say goodbye. Chris is coming home to the USA via Dover Delaware today at 5:30 and Derek and another friend of Derek and Chris named Jim who was also stationed with both Derek and Chris in San Diego, are driving to Dover to meet him and welcome him back.

Although there wasn't anything 'newsworthy' about this, Chris and his mother are from Arizona, and Governor Jan Brewer has had the flags drawn to half-mast in Chris' honor and they will stay that way until he arrives home to be laid to peaceful rest.

This was Chris' second tour........voluntarily.......helping to train the Afghanistan military/police to defend their own country. A real hero in anybody's mind, as are all of our military no matter where they are, active or inactive. Thank you, Chris, for your service, your dignity, your pride in our country, and even if Karzai doesn't appreciate you, we do. He will appreciate you when he realizes what he has lost when all of our troops are home.

God's speed.......... Fair Winds and Following Seas

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Derek's friend
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Derek's friend
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's terrible news Toni
by JP Bill / March 16, 2013 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Derek's friend

I'm saddened by his loss of life and the grief his family and friends are feeling.

Collapse -
Thank you, JP
by TONI H / March 16, 2013 6:51 AM PDT

The tug of war they had.......both trucks were backed up to each other and hooked together via their towing package. Both had to take off at the same time to see which vehicle would actually pull the other away even with forward momentum. Totally insane.....could have wrecked a couple of $50,000 pickup trucks......both drunk at the time........and thought it was the most wonderful challenge. Ya just gotta love the comradery (comaraderie) of the military......they pretty much look for any entertainment outlet that they can share.

Collapse -
Sad news
by James Denison / March 16, 2013 9:24 AM PDT

Sorry for his family and friends.

Collapse -
Derek's Friend.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Sad news

Sad indeed. A salute from an ex British Army soldier.

Collapse -
Honor and grief for his family and friends
by Roger NC / March 16, 2013 9:56 AM PDT

May they all find peace.

Collapse -
Very upsetting Toni, for you, and Derek and Chris' family
by Ziks511 / March 18, 2013 12:18 AM PDT

I hope that time brings them some comfort. I greatly honour him, and his service, and wish only the wrath of God on those who did this to him.

Collapse -
A link
by TONI H / March 18, 2013 12:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Salute...good bye...to His hand
by Willy / March 18, 2013 2:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you, Toni
by Diana Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 9:27 AM PDT

I know that I see the names on This Week on Sunday and wonder about their stories. Thanks for giviing us this one.

Collapse -
On Facebook, one idiot was talking about the cost of a drone
by Diana Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you, Toni

Told her that I would pay twice as much if it would save one of our men or women on the ground there.

Collapse -
by TONI H / March 18, 2013 7:30 PM PDT

Derek and Heather and most of their friends have Facebook pages.......they post a lot of information on their pages for other military families, and although they get the occasional jerk who is a 'know-nothing' type, there are plenty of the really aware who drown them out and show them the 'error of their ways' when it comes to military matters. heheheh Watching the 'debate' in real time sometimes reminds me of a swarm of bees or hornets coming to the 'rescue' of one of their own........one minute there is only one being attacked and suddenly the whole hive is there. Sometimes I think military mindset/communication is telepathic and instinctive.......

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.