TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Denon & Samsung - optical audio not working

by marthaready / June 11, 2013 1:33 AM PDT

I have a Samsung CN55C8300 TV connected to a Denon AVR 1912, with cables going up wall, across the ceiling and down the wall again for a total of about 25 ft. The problem I am having is with the audio optical connection.

I have a small TERK flat digital antenna connected (coaxial) to the TV and want sound to come through the Denon's, not the TV's speakers, which is the only way it works right now.

I have an HDMI cable connecting the Denon (Monitor OUT) to the TV (IN), which takes care of audio & video, from other sources, transmitted in that direction (Denon to TV).

What does not work is the transmission of sound from the TV (OUT Audio Optical port), to the Denon (IN Optical (TV) port) with the optical cable. The optical cable seems to be good - there is light at the other end ... but no sound.

Changing the speakers setting from TV's to External does not help - it just goes silent; although I have been told sound should come out as long as the optical cable works, regardless of the TV Speakers setting.

The only other setting I know to check is the Denon's INPUT ASSIGN. The options there for the multiple input sources are: hdmi, digital and component. For TV there is only Digital and Component. And under Digital, I choose optical, my only other option being coax.

I have tried it with a RCA cable and I get the result I need but I would prefer the optical connection, since I already purchased a long enough optical cable, and because I think the optical sound should be better.

Can you see something that I am ignoring? I would really appreciate any suggestions from the experts. Hopefully I have supplied all details needed. Thanks- Martha

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Denon & Samsung - optical audio not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Denon & Samsung - optical audio not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
You need to double check Samsung model #- not found as cited
by Pepe7 / June 11, 2013 3:13 AM PDT

Please repost the actual model number. I need to reference the online manual to learn the actual restrictions of your HDTV. Not found as is, unfortunately.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
correct Samsung TV model# is UN55C6300SF
by marthaready / June 11, 2013 7:56 AM PDT

sorry! the correct model number is UN55C6300SF.
Thanks

Collapse -
Here's the thing...
by Pepe7 / June 12, 2013 4:01 PM PDT

You are viewing OTA content, which is mostly (99%) 2.0 content and not 5.1, so the improvement in sound doesn't amount to much via the digital optical connection in your case. In this regard, I would suggest you continue to use what works since there clearly is some sort of conflict with your equipment preventing the Denon from working properly, or the HDTV simply does not work as it should via digital optical out in back. Boost the sound quality a little by utilizing the 'faux' dolby settings on the receiver.

Collapse -
Here's the other thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2013 4:05 AM PDT

25 foot should work but as a test we would try the normal 6 foot cable first. I'm sure some consumer will blurt out their gear is that far away but the cost of a service call will include such a test. They may tell you it's not supported or supportable at that distance so give Pepe7's idea a try too.
Bb

Collapse -
Shorter or different cable definitely worth a try (n/t)
by Pepe7 / June 13, 2013 10:20 AM PDT

n/t

Collapse -
Answer
OK with RCA cable
by marthaready / July 1, 2013 2:44 AM PDT

Finally I was able to replace the 25ft optical cable with an RCA.
It works ... I get sound from the reception of the digital antenna to the TV to the Denon. I need to play with the sound settings, as Pepe7 suggested, because right now the sound quality is not worth all the trouble I have gone through, since sound only comes out of 2 speakers.
I was not able to test if a shorter optical cable would do the trick. Maybe one day I will get to do that just in the name of R. Proffitt and of course, of this great Forum Happy
Thank you all very much for you help!

Collapse -
Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: OK with RCA cable

I had hoped to hear more folk with long optical runs. It should work but not be supported by the makers or installers. This sort of no-mans-land does cheese folk off.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.