TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Denon Receiver Problem - Video but No Sound

by zandedad / February 3, 2009 4:38 AM PST

I own the Denon AVR-2809CI AV receiver. I connected a Panasonic Blu Ray via HDMI cable to Input 1. Output from receiver to TV also with HDMI. Until yesterday, the connections were fine - I was able to watch Blu Rays and DVDs without problem. Today, I tried to play a Blu Ray disc and although I got a picture, there was no sound. Tried a DVD - same result. Played a cd and was able to get audio through the speakers, so those are hooked up properly. Played the Blu Ray directly into TV through the HDMI cable without a problem, so it's not the player, the cable, or the TV. The receiver "Mute" is off. "HDMI Audio Out" is set to "AMP" - when I changed it to TV, it passed the audio signal to the TV. I've read and reread the manual several times to no avail and before I spin my wheels with Denon customer support, I thought I'd try here. Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Denon Receiver Problem - Video but No Sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Denon Receiver Problem - Video but No Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The same Problem, but with DVR and DVD connections
by WaltT / February 10, 2009 12:30 AM PST

Hello we are both in the same boat. My Denon is in the shop now. And of course tech has just found a problem playing a DVD through the Denon. I have gone online and discovered this has been an ongoing issue with several of Denon's models, 1909 for example. I am starting to wish I had bought the Yamaha amp now. Denon does not seem to want to acknowledge a problem with their products, at least that is what the forums are saying. If you just bought it (Within 30 days)take it back and get your money back, wish I could.

Collapse -
Input mode settings?
by Dragon06 / February 10, 2009 7:21 AM PST

have you assigned input sources to input connections? For example, input source is your DVD player and then you'll assign HDMI1 as your input connector (as long as your cable is installed to input 1). I have a denon 1908 and it took me a while before I had configured the receiver by assigning the different inputs I had going into it. I had a dvd player, tv audio, and a video game system audio going to the receiver. I had to assign each device to whichever cables I had going into it by the connection. I hope I could help. Not trying to second guess anything you've done, but I understand your frutstration.

Collapse -
Inputs Assign
by WaltT / February 11, 2009 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: Input mode settings?

Thank you for your input. I have done what you have indicated three times, switching optical imputs and hdmi inputs for the components. Still the same problem. Everythings is hooked up perfectly, watching a TV show or movie and the sound drops out, its very random. I hope they will just replace with a new Denon. I''ll even pay more for the 3808, it seems no one is having problems with this model.

Collapse -
And now it works...
by zandedad / February 11, 2009 1:23 AM PST

Thanks for your input. The problem seems to have corrected itself on its own accord, though from other posts it appears it may rear its ugly head in the future. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the present.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by daniel_ebc / September 30, 2011 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: And now it works...

Got a sound technician to come check thinking it was cable connection problem and after he press one button eveything was ok. Didn't know what he did though. Then 2 months later, the same thing happened. Now there is no sound from the TV, just picture, and when connected to a media player, have picture and no sound again. This happened twice already. Once I even disconnect everything and sent it to Denon Service Ctr but they found no problems. When i connect all the devices, I still get no sound only pix. Darn bloody frustrating. I bought this in late January 2011 this year and I am about to give up meddling with the inputs! Think I'll have to purchase a new AVR

Collapse -
Possible solution
by baileyannesmom / July 9, 2012 7:09 AM PDT

I may have a possible solution to this problem. Our Denon receiver stopped putting out sound for no reason also. My husband called Denon and talked to a most helpful technician. All that was causing the problem was a buid-up of dust in the headphone jack. The technician said to my husband "I know this will sound crazy, but blow into the headphone jack as hard as you can." He did, heard something click and now we have sound. So simple, yet who would have thought of that? Hope this helps!

Collapse -
by paveliv / July 13, 2012 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible solution

I had the same problem discussed in the forum - got tv picture but no sound on amp.
I was thinking all the possibilities and even wanted to find a headphones to plug in and out.
After I saw the post above, I came and hit a little the headphone jack and the sound turned on!

My receiver 1910. We have very hot summer and I assume smth switched in the jack because of temperature (but this is just a guess). Stil it helped! Happy

Collapse -
by jdils1 / July 18, 2012 11:31 AM PDT

My denon all of a sudden went out, video but no sound. My husband tried everything to get the sound back, I was thinking the worst....then I got on here, found your recommendation to "blow in the headphone jack" and low and behold it worked!!! THANKS!!!

Collapse -
OMG, it worked!
by / December 27, 2012 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: THANKS!!

Our Denon receiver went out on Christmas Day. My husband took a can of compressed air, blew it into the headphone jack, hooked it back up and low and behold it works! It's a Christmas miracle!

Thanks so much for your post.

Collapse -
Can't believe it either, but OMG it worked!!!
by jrfitzny / April 2, 2013 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: THANKS!!

Thanks for the tip. Had my girlfriend try this while I was out of town, and it worked beautifully. I have a 2013 model Denon, so this is still relevant.
Thanks again!

Collapse -
I wish it worked for me
by Richard_Fitzwell / August 2, 2012 2:05 PM PDT

I have a Denon receiver with a Comcast cable box. I was watching TV and hit the Volume button on the cable remote. The AUX light blinked instead of the cable light, and the sound disappeared from my TV. And I have not been able to get it back. And no one, not even the people at ABT in the Chicago area who installed it, knows what happened. Incredibly frustrating.

Collapse -
Problem with Cable Remote disabling Denon Sound, How to fix
by able12tv / August 20, 2012 10:11 AM PDT

We had the same problem and here's what we did to fix it. We went to the menu on the Denon Remote then went to Input Mode and change to HDMI from Analog. It fixed our problem. We've had that happen twice though when we have the cable remote in AUX mode and then the sound suddenly goes out.

Collapse -
This is amazing it worked thanks...
by xon501 / August 3, 2012 5:50 AM PDT

I wouldnt have tried this if i wasnt desperate, but it actually worked thanks...

Collapse -
Agree, it worked
by spe3_dotmac / August 26, 2012 6:40 AM PDT

Had same issue, Denon 1610, audio just stopped, during olympics (of course)
fiddled with every setting read and reread manual, read and reread bat pig, material,
checked every connection,
was ready to trash unit,
found this thread,
blew into headphone jack
really hard,
audio returned

happy, but what the #$%^?
did the denon folks engineer here?
(besides a time waster)

thanks to all for posting

Collapse -
Thank you! It worked!
by sunten4 / October 28, 2012 2:12 AM PDT

I have had the same problem with my older AVR-688 on and off for several years now. This morning when it was not working again, I decided to purchase a new receiver. I had a new Onkyo receiver (will not buy a Denon again) in my cart ready to finalize and decided to search again for possible solutions. I found your reply and went out to my great room to give it a try. The first time I blew into the headphone jack, it clicked but did not stay on. Then founds some headphones to plug in and it worked immediately. Unbelievable! Thank you so much!

Collapse -
Possible Solution-genuises
by Lavabee / November 9, 2012 10:42 PM PST

Just googled to find why my Denon receiver is not outputting sound, found this forum. Thought this was crazy & felt like an idiot blowing into the headphone jack. Well i don't anymore. Volume returned within seconds. So weird, but awesome. Thanks!

Collapse -
Denon Sound.
by humangamike / November 10, 2012 11:55 PM PST

Blowing in the headphone jack worked for me too,

Collapse -
by Bwm77d / November 27, 2012 11:00 AM PST

I had my Denon AVR-1610 for 3 years and all of a sudden the sound stopped. I found this forum first and come across this post. To my surprise, I blew on the head phones jack and the sound came back. OMG. Thank you everyone

Collapse -
by Jack070 / November 28, 2012 3:02 AM PST

Thank you so much for posting this solution. I put in a movie this morning and was surprised that it would not play, even though the TV and CD functions played just fine. I entered the problem into Google as a Samsung blu-ray player problem, but it sent me to this c/net site and since I do have a Denon receiver I found that pretty amazing right off. When I saw your solution it seemed pretty easy to try and lo and behold the sound came right on!! Truly amazing and I am very grateful to you!

Collapse -
Wow...and thank you
by Michael_Sutton / December 10, 2012 9:40 AM PST

I've had the same problem several times. The last two days without sound. I just read this pst and blew into the headphone jack and it worked. Unbelievable! Thanks for posting this.

Collapse -
It worked!
by thdocoro2000 / December 16, 2012 12:23 AM PST

I scanned the manual for two hours trying to figure out what was wrong. FInally turned to typing my problem in to Yahoo, found this forum and lo and behold a quick burst of air into the headphone jack cleared everything up. Un-freaking-believable. God bless the internet!

Collapse -
That is amazing!!!
by JacquelineIreland / January 13, 2013 5:20 AM PST

That is amazing!!So simple but yet something I would never have though to do in a million years. The sound is back on. Perfect!!! You saved me a tech bill.

Collapse -
Thanks !!!
by MikiSc / March 24, 2013 3:53 AM PDT

had the same problem - saw your post - blow into the headphone jack

and the sound turned on Cool

Collapse -
Another Success Story
by BBR0107 / June 6, 2013 5:03 AM PDT

Tried your solution and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately, I only saw it after I paid a tech to fix the problem (which he obviously did not). When you think about it, the answer is so simple and logical (the dust was "tricking" the unit into thinking that headphones were connected). In any event, thank you for taking the time to post this. Tech had me halfway convinced that the unit was broken and that replacement was my best option. Figure you saved me around $400-$500.

Collapse -
Thank You!!!!!
by MsInternational / August 28, 2013 11:24 PM PDT

Baileyannesmom thank you, thank you, thank you! I have a Denon AVR-1909 that just stopped working (I have picture but no sound). Of course I contacted the store I purchased the receiver and a tech came out....only to work for him. So next he suggested that I should "purchase" a new one for him because I the receiver is 5 years old. Well this didn't feel right. I put off for months getting one. I decided to research and discovered what you suggested; gave it a try and bamm! I am back in business. Thanks for the info. Now I am enjoying and having better feelings about Denon but no great feelings about the local store (Kadairs) that was trying to get over on me!!!

Collapse -
by ekaufmanre / October 5, 2013 6:52 AM PDT

Denon AVR 1910 - Digital audio processor purchased in July of 2009. I just had the same problem...picture but no sound.

I called Best Buy's "Geek Squad" home theater team (they're the ones who set up my whole system 4 years ago). Their technicians charged $99.95 to come out to my home, check everything under the sun, only to leave and tell us our Denon processor is broken and we need a new one.

Thank you so much to "baileyannesmom" from 7/9/12 for your post. You just saved me several hundred $$ on a new processor, and now I'm calling back Geek Squad to demand a refund on the $99.95 I already paid!

Collapse -
It works
by clintbco / December 31, 2013 11:35 AM PST

I knew it was a relay issue and thought I'd need a new relay, but one healthy puff and all is well. Thanks!

Collapse -
by ChrisELewisJones / January 17, 2014 1:08 AM PST

I have spent hours piddling around with the TV, the leads, the settings, the TivioBox and then was BLOWN AWAY in a second when I read this.

Collapse -
I might have a different problem
by Hongkonger14 / January 31, 2014 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: Amazing

I have a Denon AVRX1000 hooked up to a Marantz XD500 BD player by HDMI. The signal keeps breaking between player and amp. I've gone through all the setup menus and tried everything but it still keeps cutting out. Sometimes just momentarily but at other the signal (both audio and video) stops altogether.

Anyone have any ideas?

Collapse -
Denon No Sound Fixed !
by Famous_Flyer / November 11, 2014 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: Amazing

No Sound from Denon 5.1 AVR 789 Receiver - Fixed !

After 5 years of flawless service, no sound from any source from my Denon Receiver (Tuner, TV, DVD). Don't buy new until you have tried this simple solution.

Flawlessly simple solution by blowing the dust out of the headphone jack port. A few strong puffs and it worked.

For good measure, I inserted headphone jack back and forth several times to ensure the port was seating itself properly. While you are at it (with power first !), its not a bad idea to vacuum the headphone port (and the whole receiver for that matter) and spray some compressed air into the headphone port to really clean it out.

Thanks to all who responded !

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.