Download.com Site Feedback forum

Alert

"Demon tools lite" contain malware

by cperng / February 7, 2013 3:31 AM PST

Daemon Tools Lite contain malware. After installed the program it change my browser default. Browser automatically went into search.conduit.com. Besides, it installed tone of junks in Windows.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Demon tools lite" contain malware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Demon tools lite" contain malware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This one?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 3:45 AM PST
http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon

I've tried this tool in the past but did you get it from the source or did you select one of those download sites with install wrappers?

Keep in mind that some virus scanners will mark this as suspect due to the hooks it must place into the OS. I'm encountering folk that yelp at every antivirus finding. They rarely know what a false positive is.
Bob
Collapse -
Virus/Malware confirmed in Demon Tools Lite
by cperng / February 7, 2013 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: This one?

Scanned with Windows Defender and there are 2 Malwares after the download installation
Rougue Wind32/Winwebsec
Exploit Java/CVE-201201723
To verify, you are welcome to download and install youself.

Collapse -
Since you didn't answer my question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 12:09 PM PST

I have to take it that you got it from somewhere else.
Bob

Collapse -
Download.com, it is not as safe as you would think
by cperng / February 7, 2013 9:56 PM PST

No, the malware was discovered after the download installation. I selected the download site directly from the Download.com not "other places".

Suggested you try it out. If you do care about Demon Tool.

Collapse -
Please tell me you got it directly or not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 2:15 AM PST

"Note: Disc-Tools.com is an authorized publisher of DAEMON Tools software. Any unauthorized distribution of our software is strictly prohibited. If you would like to distribute DAEMON Tools software, including publishing on your site, please fill in Publisher application form with your full name, specific website URL(s), and point of contact. We will respond as soon as possible. Thank you."

I offered this so you could directly answer my question. If you went to download.com then you might be looking at those install wrappers and not the real thing.

Because of my aversion to install wrappers I'll take the direct download every time. How about you?
Bob

Collapse -
ps. DAEMONToolsPro520-0348.exe
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 2:23 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: download and install
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 10:40 PM PST

Sorry, I use another program (Virtual Clone Drive), so I've got no need to download and install it. But, since you have it, did you already send it to www.virustotal.com? If you upload it, they have 30 antivirus programs look at it and report the result. As Bob said, it might be a false positive.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.