Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Delta-Search

by jerrywh1 / March 18, 2013 7:21 PM PDT

While downloading a *.pfd viewer Delta-Search invaded my computer. It replaced my home page and redirects me to it when I try to go to my home page in either IE or Google Chrome. How do I get rid of it. I removed it using the "uninstall" function of the control panel, but it still is showing up. I'm running Windows 7.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Delta-Search
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Delta-Search
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2013 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Delta-Search

I can't tell if you changed your home page back. Uninstalling does not do that for us.
Bob

Collapse -
Check For The Malware Like This
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2013 4:12 AM PDT

First, open each of the browsers mentioned, click on "Tools" in the upper left, then choose "Add-Ons" or "Manage add-ons" or something similar. Once there, look for the Delta-Search add-on and remove or disable it from there.. Once that's done, access your browser's homepage settings and reset it back to one of your choice.. (For example, for Internet Explorer, click on "Tools", select "Internet Options", "General" tab, and in the "Homepage" section, change the listed homepage there.

Once that's done, proceed on with the instructions below to scan the computer for malware.

If you can download the tools listed below on the problem computer, great, but you may need to use a separate, clean computer, download the tools, copy them to a DIFFERENT flash drive or CD, then transfer them to the infected computer.

Once that's done, then restart the computer into "Safe Mode with Networking" and use the instructions below. If you can't start in Safe Mode, then run all the tools while in "normal" Windows first, then run them in Safe Mode afterward.:

After downloading or transferring it to the problem machine, run the
following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run.
(courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)There are 3 different
versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be
patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all
the background programs.Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as AdminYou only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and
SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which
you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem
machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill. After that, run a full system scan
and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program
and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to
rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/SuperAntispyware

Manual Update
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Delta Search Support Department
by Delta-SearchSupport / March 24, 2013 2:24 AM PDT

Hey
We in the Delta Search Customer Service Department are sorry to hear that you are havnig a problem with our Search Page,we will be happy to help you to remove Delta Search from your computer, Please send us an email at Support@delta-search.com and we will send you the quick and easy instructions to remove Delta,

Respectfully

The Delta Search Customer Service Department

Collapse -
(NT) Why Not Simply Post Them Here For All To See?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 6:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
oh come on
by lucky7m / March 25, 2013 5:35 AM PDT

@Delta Search support: oh, come on guys, you can't be serious. You are sorry? Somehow, I find it hard to believe. Better improve your software instead of making such a mess with web browsers.

From 0 to #66 in a few months.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/delta-search.com

Pure white hat? I don't think so...

Collapse -
(NT) Delta Removal Instructions
by Delta-SearchSupport / April 2, 2013 9:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
Removal Instructions
by Delta-SearchSupport / April 2, 2013 9:46 PM PDT

In order to remove Delta search and tool bar from Chrome or Firefox first of all follow these instructions to remove them from the browsers:

CHROME:
Open Chrome. Click on the Customize and Control Google Chrome icon
Under "On startup", choose the option "Open a specific page or set of pages.
Click on "Set pages" and delete Delta's page from the list by clicking the small x icon besides it
In order to change the Search Engine in Google Chrome, please follow the instructions below:
Click on Settings ,Under "Search" click on "Manage search engines.. If you see Delta Search as default, please click on a different option (Google, Bing etc.), make it default
Remove Delta by clicking the small 'x'
You may also check if any Delta extension is installed in your Google Chrome. For this, please do as follows:
Go to Tools ,Extensions
Remove any Delta extension (Translator, Toolbar) from the list by clicking on the small trash can icon that will appear when you point the cursor over it.

Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel , Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel , Uninstall a Program.
Search for Delta toolbar on IE in the list. Select the program and click Remove button.
If you are using Windows Vista/7, click Uninstall up near the top of that window.
Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools >> Manage Add-ons.
Select Toolbars and Extensions. Uninstall everything related to Delta Ltd. from the list: Delta toolbar, Delta toolbar helper, Delta IE plugin, DeltaToolbar.com, etc.
Select Search Providers. First of all, choose Bing search engine and make it your default search provider (set as default). Then select Search the web (Delta) and click Remove button to uninstall it (lower right corner of the window).
Go to Tools , Internet Options. Select General tab and click Use default button or enter your own website, e.g. gooog.com instead of search.Delta.com. Click OK to save the changes.

Beside that , go to Control Panel menu on windows and go to Add/Remove Programs and remove any Delta feature, Browser Manager or Browser Protector feature, also check for these in the Extentions menu on Explorer or Chrome,and remove all

this should remove and clean delta from your computer,

if you still have problems and questions please email to Support@delta-search.com, so our technical stuff can assist your further

Thank You

Collapse -
Delta-Search
by jerrywh1 / April 3, 2013 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Removal Instructions

This worked. My thanks to all who offered help. Sorry not to be responsive as I should have been, but I'm battleing some health issues and this went on the back burnner for a while. Delta-Search may be a great program, and I saw nothing to indicate that it was a destructive virus, but I want to be in control of what goes on my computer and really get upset when I'm re-directed to a location I didn't ask for.
Jerry

Collapse -
This does not work in Windows 7
by JustWondrin / August 15, 2013 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Removal Instructions

I've tried to remove your malware, and when I click on "uninstall" I get the message that I need to talk to the administrator (that would be me) because the administrator has set policies to prevent this action. There is no option in Windows 7 to turn off administrator so that I can remove this program from my computer, and as long as it's on the computer, it is impossible to disable from Chrome. I have tried to remove it from Chrome, and under settings and extensions it's no longer visible, removed it from extensions and search engines, but it still shows up when I open my browser. You need to stop this!

Collapse -
I am not delta.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2013 4:25 AM PDT

Please try Grif's and of course follow up with my suggestion. I use Grif's advice a lot as well as ADWCLEANER from bleepcomputer. Here's the link. But remember this is not automatic. We may have to set the homepage manually.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.