Computer Help forum

Dell XPS 9000 will not boot

by kevdogginpa / December 10, 2012 4:03 AM PST

My Dell XPS 9000 will not boot up. When I turn it on, the monitor goes immediately into sleep mode. It has a new motherboard and video card and still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell XPS 9000 will not boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell XPS 9000 will not boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Try booting from an install or repair disc
by wpgwpg / December 10, 2012 4:06 AM PST

If you don't have either, you can create a repair disc on any Windows 7 computer (I'm assuming Windows 7 since you neglected to mention that). To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Create a System Repair disc. Insert a CD-R.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Re: will not boot
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 4:31 AM PST

As you describe it, a new motherboard (assuming the CPU and RAM aren't defective) and video card should have helped, because they would show at least the BIOS messages before Windows starts to load. A monitor showing sleep mode means it doesn't get any signal.
I assume you already tried another monitor. Those are much easier to swap than a motherboard.

But maybe your description isn't fully right, and it only goes into sleep mode after Windows starts.

Three questions:
1. Can you go into the BIOS setup by pressing the right key (I don't know which one, but usually it's shown on the screen and documented in the user manual) very early during the booting?
2. Does it boot from a bootable disk (such as Windows setup, Linux, DBAN, memtest86)? If it boots into memtest86, run it.
3. Does it boot into the Dell recovery partition or the Dell diagnostics? For both, see the user manual. If it boots into the diagnostics, run them.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.