Computer Help forum

Question

Dell XPS 15 Battery Meter Inacurate. HELP!!! :(

by milkjunkie90 / May 7, 2013 6:47 AM PDT

Hi I have a Dell xPS 15 LS502 with core i7 processor and windows 7. It is just over a year old. Recently I find that the computer dies instantly when the battery meter runs down to about 42% or so. When I plug it in, switch the computer on again and hover over the battery meter icon it says 0% remaining and it gradually charges up as normal. What seems to be the problem is that the computer seems to think there is more juice in the battery and registers the battery meter too high. Is there any way to fix or reset this? Also there is no warnings that the battery is faulty or needs to be replaced. Any ideas? It is driving me nuts!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell XPS 15 Battery Meter Inacurate. HELP!!! :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell XPS 15 Battery Meter Inacurate. HELP!!! :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
TRUE!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2013 8:04 AM PDT

OK, let's get the basics out of the way fast.

1. The stock battery is your 300 cycle unit so at one year with daily battery use the battery could do exactly what you noted and nothing is wrong. It's just worn out.

2. Even so, there is no known battery meter that can accurately predict how many minutes left given the old battery (one year is OLD!)

3. Try BatteryBar. The free version is nice and can show the wear on the battery.

4. Ask Dell how to calibrate the battery.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Dell XPS 15 Battery Meter Inacurate. HELP!!!
by DELL-Appu_S Dell staff / May 7, 2013 10:04 PM PDT

Hi milkjunkie90,

As suggested by Bob, try calibrating the battery. Here are the steps:

-Remove the AC adapter from the laptop.
-Turn on the laptop. Allow it to run on battery power until the battery is drained to 0 percent of capacity.
-Remove the battery from the laptop. Keep it aside for 1-2 hours.
-Place the battery back into the battery bay.
-Plug the AC adapter. Charge the battery overnight. Do not power on or use the laptop during this time.

In addition, try updating the BIOS of the computer and check the Battery Health Meter. You can download the BIOS update Here.

Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
*Battery is 10%> or >10% charged.
*Battery charger should be connected.
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved.

To check the Battery Health Meter -> right click on the battery icon on the taskbar -> choose 'Dell Health Meter' -> click on 'Battery Health' tab ->• examine the information shown in the window. If the battery needs to be replaced, a red icon would be shown along with a message confirming that the battery is no longer able to hold a sufficient charge.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Appu S

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

SEEING COLORS?

What do the color stripes mean on your tires?

Brian Cooley tells you why you might see various color lines on the wheels of your automobile.