Dell forum

Resolved Question

Dell X1 board replacement

by mnewsome / September 12, 2012 6:28 AM PDT

Already have the board and recently downloaded what is supposed to be the Dell repair manual. I see a series of images but still cannot tell whether the proceedure begins from the keyboard side or the bottom. I have significant experience with desktop boards and some with notebooks. Hoping I can connect with one who has changed this particular board. I have uploaded the service manual images I have and can share it if needed. Much thanks in advance for an informed response.

mnewsome has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell X1 board replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell X1 board replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by mnewsome

Collapse -
Dell X1 board replacement
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / September 12, 2012 10:00 PM PDT

Hi mnewsome,

You can refer to this Service Manual for Latitude X1 which will show all the components of this computer.
Observe the following safety precautions before performing any steps:
1. Turn off the system and disconnect any attached peripherals including the battery and the AC adapter (printer, USB flash drives, SD card, ethernet cable).
2. Once done, press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.

Start with disconnecting the keyboard. Remove the seven screws labeled "K" from the bottom of the computer. Hereafter, follow the sequence as shown in the link for disassembling system board.

Hope this helps.
Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Your efforts are noted
by mnewsome / September 17, 2012 6:09 AM PDT

Manpreet:

Truly appreciative of your efforts. I doubted that I would ever see this service manual.

Cordially,

Maurice Newsome

Collapse -
Glad to be of help
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / September 17, 2012 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Your efforts are noted

Maurice,

Thank you for the response.
Glad to be of help.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Answer
Have the service manual but...
by mnewsome / October 9, 2012 6:00 AM PDT

I have the keyboard removed and the manual requires that the "display ground screw" be removed. There are two in the area that corresponds to the manual. Not sure I can link you to the camera shot of my machine but the memory housing is the best landmark. Just to the right are the two screws... The letter "M" imprinted on the memory housing is closest to one of the screws.

Do not know which of the two to remove. The link to my microsoft live folder is
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4AD6AABD72471DBB!6720

Much thanks for your continued support

Collapse -
Display ground screw
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / October 10, 2012 5:28 AM PDT

Thank you for the response.
Please remove the screw that you have marked as blue. The other screw marked in red is for the memory module.
You will remove this screw and another screw as shown in the image (no.2 screw): <span
Here is another image for a better view: <span

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
System board Project [continued]
by mnewsome / January 17, 2013 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: Display ground screw

Greetings Manpreet:

I write to report that the system board is replaced but the reassembly of the machine is not complete. I know it should be a simple matter of reversing the steps but I find myself at a standstill.

There is a series of images uploaded to a Microsoft online folder demonstrating where I am with the reassembly. The link to the images are below this text. The display is next to but not connected to the main element and so I am seeking specific guidance on what to connect and in what order. You have been more than helpful with this project and it is my hope that I might see this machine working once again. Much thanks for your attention as I await your reply.

Cordially,
Maurice

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=52B21D2F3F75A51A!2781&authkey=!ADmqTD_PIjq6_BA

Collapse -
System board replacement
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / January 17, 2013 10:47 PM PST

Greetings Maurice,

I am glad that you have successfully replaced the motherboard.
The pictures are uploaded in the skydrive folder: http://sdrv.ms/UAl8tN
Now the components need to be connected in the following sequence:

1. Memory Shield: Put the memory shield in place, insert and tighten the captive screw labeled 'M' as shown in the image (Memory Shield)
2. Palmrest: Connect the touch pad cable from ZIF connector on the system board as shown in the image (Palmrest connection). Place the palmrest on the base and ensure that the snaps attach to the base. Insert and tighten the screw labeled 'P'. Turn the computer upside down on a flat work surface. Connect the six M2.5 x 5-mm screws to the bottom of the computer as shown in the image (Palmrest screws).
3. Display assembly: Once the palmrest is connected, connect the display with two screws marked in red to the hinges metal strips marked in yellow and to the palmrest screw holes marked in red as shown in the image (Display hinges and metal strips connect to the palm rest). Connect the captive display-cable ground screw. Connect the display cable using the pull-tab and connect the two antenna-cable connectors.
4. Hinge covers: Connect the hinge covers as shown in the image (Hinge cover). Open the display all the way (180 degrees) so that it lies flat against your work surface.
5. Keyboard: Place the keyboard on the palmrest at a 45 degrees angle. Connect the keyboard cable to the system board and engage the two system-board connector tabs as shown in the image (Keyboard connection). Turn the computer upside down. Connect the seven M2.5 x 5-mm screws labeled 'K' to the bottom of the computer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Replace motherboard
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / October 11, 2012 6:11 AM PDT

Hi Maurice,

Did it work? Were you able to replace the motherboard?

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Power on System Check
by mnewsome / January 22, 2013 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: Replace motherboard

Greetings Manpreet:

I write to report that the board now powers on but other issues are noted. New images will show that the power button light is on but so too is the ethernet port. Additionally, the display does not light

The board was replaced because of the broken power connector and should not have an effect on the link light or the display. I believe that the display connection is proper but would ask for troubleshooting guidance.
The hyperlink is: <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=52B21D2F3F75A51A!2865&authkey=!ACRzRCjzowtls20

Cordially,

Maurice

Collapse -
Check if the laptop finishes Power on Self test
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / January 22, 2013 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: Power on System Check

Greetings Maurice,

Restart the laptop and check if the keyboard status lights flash or show any specific pattern.
Also, press the Caps lock key while the laptop is powered on and check if the light is illuminated

You can try to perform the Dell Diagnostics to determine if it is a display issue:
1. Turn off the computer; press and hold the <Fn> key, push the power button and release the keys simultaneously.
2. A blue screen will appear stating Pre-boot System Assessment.
3. If there is no display, you will hear a beep corresponding to this message, 'Were color bars displayed?(y/n)'.
4. Press 'N' key if the color bars are not displayed. During the LCD BIST, a solid color screen is shown and five different colors are displayed. While the colors are displayed, the system beeps every 2 seconds and the lock lights (Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock) illuminate to indicate the test is running.
5. If there is no display during the LCD BIST, you may have to reseat the display cable.
6. Please connect the laptop to an external monitor (if available) and toggle the display using <Fn> and <F8> key.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

LAST CHANCE TO WIN

Free trip to the Grand Prix

Don't miss your chance to win a trip to the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Monaco for you and a plus-one.