Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dell won't wake up

by wborgen / February 21, 2013 5:09 AM PST

I have a Dell Dimension DIME521, Windows XP, Media Ctn. Edition, Version 2002, AMD Athon (tm) 64x2 dual core processor 3800+, 1.00 GHz, 960 MB ram. My problem is the computer will not power up after sleeping or hibernating so you have to power down by holding in power button on tower and pressing again to start back up. This started about a year ago but has gotten worse over time. At first after cleaning up/deleting files and defraging this would take care of it for a while but now doesn't seem to help much. At first the time frame of being able to wake it up was longer but now you have about 30 minutes maybe before you have to power down tower and restart. I've been told to power down on the tower is not good. How long will the system take this? We currently have DSL @ 768/256 but it seems slower than that. Any help would be appreciated.

non-tech60

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell won't wake up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell won't wake up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a really common problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Dell won't wake up

If you research "XP WON'T SHUTDOWN" you discover thousands of posts and maybe 10 times that advice on a cure.

Since this sounds like the usual problem we rarely try to fix it today as the clients don't want to pay for OS REPAIR so we backup what files they want to save then reinstall the OS. If that doesn't cure (does better than 1/2 the time) then it's the hardware and given the age of the PC, few fix that.
Bob

Collapse -
Dell won't wake up
by wborgen / February 21, 2013 8:18 AM PST

It's not that it won't shut down. It doesn't wake up after going into sleep mode or hibernation. I have increased the amount of time it takes to go into sleep and hibernation to put a band-aid on the problem. I have to power down the switch on the tower and re-start it to get started again.

Collapse -
You didn't reveal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 8:40 AM PST

If Start, Shut Down works. Again there are many reasons for this failure but I find many folk are put off by the lack of diagnostics on the issue. Or rather "You're kidding me" as you go over how we find a cure.
Bob

Collapse -
Dell won't wake up
by Shepbob / February 25, 2013 9:15 AM PST

I don/t know that much about hibernation but just curious if you have it checked in Control panel//power options/hibernate. If you do what happens if you uncheck it?

Collapse -
hibernation is checked
by wborgen / February 25, 2013 10:12 PM PST

I looked and "hibernation" is checked in power options of the control panel. The problem first started when you'd let the computer go into sleep mode on it's own by not doing anything at all when finished using the computer. Then when you'd try to power up again later by moving the mouse or tapping the space bar the computer would sound like it was trying to start up but couldn't and the monitor screen stays black. The noise the tower makes when this is happening is much more drawn out or slower. Then At first I found that if we manually hibernated with the start button you could wake it up most times by just pushing the power button on the tower. Over a period of a few months that does not work most times anymore. So now I've been telling everyone in the house to just manually shut it down with the start button every time your done and when you do this it always restarts without a problem. The problem is the are 3 kids 8-12 years old in the house and they don't always remember to do this so invariably we end up doing a manual power shut down hold holding the button in on the tower for about 10 seconds and restarting it using the same button but Ive been told this is not a good thing to do especially as often as it seems to happen. The other thing is when I end up having to do this I'm really not sure of how my kids have ended their last session on the computer and when asked about it they don't remember what they did. I did increase the times for standby to 1 hr. and hibernation to 2 hrs. to alleviate some of the problem of the kids not remembering to power down but it's just a band-aid to the wound. I'm just looking for ideas to correct it but I'm no computer expert so layman's would be appreciated. Thanks greatly for any info/ideas.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.