Laptops forum

General discussion

dell vs. HP vs. gateway

by reflex32 / February 14, 2007 5:00 AM PST

Just wondering which one you guys think would be better for a student needing a laptop for school and multi media tasks

thanks,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell vs. HP vs. gateway
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell vs. HP vs. gateway
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All have bad for and good for multimedia offerings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2007 5:10 AM PST

You'll have to narrow it down to more specific models to get a good answer here. Certainly no one maker save Apple has this area wired.

Bob

Collapse -
apple?
by reflex32 / February 14, 2007 5:18 AM PST

so youre saying an apple would be good.

here are my options:
-HP dv9000t
-dell inspiron 1505
-Apple macbook
-gateway nx860

which one do you guys think would be best?

Thanks,

Collapse -
Still too wide a spread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2007 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: apple?

Many of those have options for RAM, hard disks and OS.

I think I wasn't clear enough. There is no winner in this group with you listing what could be over 100 models. I don't think anyone will sift through that many for you.

For me, today I'm on the fence with these 2 in the next category. Some Macbook Pro with a bootcamp to XP. Can't decide to go 15 or 17 inch yet.

Bob

Collapse -
ok....
by reflex32 / February 14, 2007 6:27 AM PST

thanks for the help.

Collapse -
I like HP. But the support is only better than Apple.
by fbbbb / February 14, 2007 6:11 PM PST

I don't have any experience of Gateways, they don't sell them here anymore.

HP's are the best built out of the lot I think, surpassing Apple. I like the mix of build quality and conservative engineering. Dell is about the same as Apple - you might get a faultless one, you might get a lemon, it's the luck of the draw - but generally speaking the Dells tend to be more reliable because they're more conservatively built. Apple is more on the bleeding edge in that their laptops need a much higher build quality to work/look properly in the first place and in my experience that's not there quite often. Every single one of my Apple laptops has some issue or another than my HP/Dells don't have or don't exhibit as noticeably.

I really like Dell's support in case of failures, especially if you go for the support uplifts. A few bucks extra at purchase can really help you out when your machine is kapowed. I haven't had any grounds for complaint there. Apple ranks lowest in my book for support. A lot of people get all fluffy about the Apple Stores but I don't like having to book an appointment several days in advance, heading out to town, forcing my way through the scrum and paying extra for the privilege (Procare) because Applecare is too damned slow - especially when a Dell engineer can be with me the following day after something goes wrong.

Collapse -
Where to buy a gateway
by jgrove_2000 / February 16, 2007 10:34 PM PST

You can get a gateway online at www.gateway.com, just like dell, or at circuity city or best buy.

Collapse -
Thank you Captain Bleedin' Obvious.
by fbbbb / February 17, 2007 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: Where to buy a gateway

The US may be the world for some, but not me.

Collapse -
Ok I will be more bleedin' obvious
by jgrove_2000 / February 18, 2007 12:17 AM PST

Gateway and eMachines products are sold in more than 2,000 retail locations internationally, including Canada, Japan, Mexico, the United Kingdom and France.

Collapse -
They're back?
by fbbbb / February 18, 2007 2:08 AM PST

They bugged out of their non-US operations a while back - didn't know they were back (in a very limited way).

I stand corrected. Although a supermarket and a toy shop as the sole stockists is not encouraging...

Collapse -
Gateway and Emachines
by orlbuckeye / August 24, 2011 9:18 PM PDT

are owned by Acer.

Collapse -
dell gateway apple hp
by motleydrew / August 24, 2011 2:08 PM PDT

i cant tell you about the newer ones but i currently own two older laptops a gateway mx6455 and a hp dv4000 on any day i like the looks the weight the battery life the speed and the reliability of the gateway over the hp on the hp i enjoy the the volume buttons being above the keybored on the hp i hate having to scroll down an adjust the volume on the gateway but the hp has had so many problems hardrive crashes mainly i cant find much else to like nothing has gone wrong knock on wood with the gateway ive never owned a dell but my mom has a dell desktop that honestly seems like a virus magnant ive reloaded windows like 40 times on it ive owned one apple a 2001 power pc apple laptop but it was terrable becouse of its age i wont judge apple by that computer my gf owns a 2007 mackbook that crashed rite after the warranty wore out i found out it was the hardrive so for now shes runningopensuse linux of the disk so ill just stay with gateway

Collapse -
I agree... HP is good.
by close5828 / February 26, 2007 1:38 PM PST

I've owned HP notebooks since 2001, and am typing this on my 3rd since then. Each one worked well and my only issues were a defective hard drive on my 1st one, and a failed IrDA port on my current one. In each case, HP repaired it quite quickly and w/out any hassle.

The last time, it was handled via chat over the Web, and no hold times. I sent it out on a Friday, and it came back the following Thursday; it was sent from here in Los Angeles to Memphis, TN.

Apple's repair quality is "ehhh" at best--having owned 3 Powerbooks and 2 Macbooks within 3yrs time (replacement after replacement) b/c of Apple's repair quality, I can attest to the fact that HP's quality surpasses Apple's by far.

HP is a good choice.

Collapse -
What I'd buy and what I've had....
by jgrove_2000 / February 16, 2007 8:32 AM PST

I've have a dell laptop that my work issued. After two years of travel it had some pretty big cracks in the laptop. The dell has all the plugs in the back which is just a pain. The new one they gave me still has most of the plugs in the back. Also Dell?s power supply is a big brick that you have to carry around.

Gateway- I bought a gateway m210 for myself and love it. The one you?re looking at the NX860, Battery life is 9.5!!! 2GB of memory. Man, I want one. ? um can I be your kid?

HP-I had bought my girlfriend an HP desktop. When it got stolen I dealt with a bunch of people from India. She bought an HP laptop, afterward which was pretty nice.

Mac- Buy a mac if you want something that was in a ?cool? commercial because that?s all you get. I looked at a friends and it does have a neat ?break away? magnetic plug. Actually, it has a couple of magnets- hey weren?t we suppose to keep magnets away from out computer? From what I?ve read, Boot camp means you still need to spend $200 for a licensed copy of windows XP or Vista, unless you?re stealing a copy from somewhere. You can dual boot any PC to Linux for free (Linux is really what Macintosh new operating system is)! If you want to play games please read CNET?s article on Macintosh and games. Battery life 6 hours. 1GB of memory. Small screen good for travel bad for doing work. Even my artsy uncle bought a PC laptop the other year; he used to be a die hard Macintosh person.

If I was going to be studying with it at school, I?d want the HP model or the Gateway model because of the 17?. This not a good idea if he is traveling every week, but fine if you are in school. I plan on buying the Gateway model you mention or the new version in the summer of 2008 when I go back to school to get my Masters in Intelligent Systems.

Collapse -
Look at this replacement brick.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2007 8:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Thats a good idea
by jgrove_2000 / February 16, 2007 10:32 PM PST

I bought the Kensington version for my flight from Hawaii to Naples. Unfortunately none of the flights had the airplane outlets and the dell laptop wouldn?t work because it needed a 120 watt power supply. Hopefully this new dell, they issued me will work with it.

Collapse -
hp :D
by *Beba* / February 16, 2007 9:06 AM PST

Well i'll say the Hp dv9000t Happy its better overall

Collapse -
Hp Overall
by *Beba* / February 16, 2007 9:07 AM PST

I'd say the Hp Pavilion dv9000 is better overall

Collapse -
HP dv6000
by ghew2091 / February 14, 2007 9:28 AM PST

I looked at both the dell 1505 and the dv6000t and ended up buying the HP. Paid a bit more but so far very satisfied.

Collapse -
HP?
by reflex32 / February 14, 2007 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: HP dv6000

i hear al the time their CS is aweful. For some reason i just dont like HP

Collapse -
Customer Service
by crash900s / February 14, 2007 7:25 PM PST
In reply to: HP?

I have an HP and an Apple. I've had minor problems with both and let me tell you the customer service is the same. If you paid the extra money for Apple care or for HP's extended warranty then you get great service. If you don't then don't be surprised if you find yourself on the phone with a busted computer and no support. You pay more for Apple care lik 300 for 3 years but you can take it right to an apple store while for 100 I got 2 years from HP but I always had to send the whole computer in but they get it back to you within a week. The build quality on the HP's has really improved definitly rivaling Apple. The price gap between the two is not very much so really it comes down to personal taste and which OS you like.

Collapse -
Nobody is perfect and accidents happen.
by Cyborganizer / February 17, 2007 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: Customer Service

I was surprised to find out that Apple's extra warranty is the only one that does not cover accidental damage. "This warranty does not apply: (a) to damage caused by use with non-Apple products; (b) to damage caused by accident..." In fact, statistics will tell you if a laptop is defective, you will find out in less than a year. Warranties that do not cover accidental damage are not worth more than a year. Since I am a good friend with a statistician, I get to learn things like that. I have had first hand experience with Dell's "craptacular" tech support, but their business laptop warranties are first rate. Dell offers a 3 years on-site and accidental coverage for $248. Sony has a 2-year on-site and accidental coverage for $199. Finally HP's 2-year plan is $249 and Gateway?s is $259. I think Dell's home office series has the worst coverage. A 1-year on-site and accidental coverage costs $209, but this includes LoJack. In the city I will be living in, a stolen laptop is the least of the police's concern. All of these plans are on-site, so you just tell the company to send someone out and hope they are competent. I do not call the company for tech support. I am a student and most colleges have an IT department. When I am no longer a student, I will just rely on CNET. So far every one of my questions is answered on CNET for free. In closing, the only reason I am buying an extended warranty is for the accidental coverage.

Collapse -
What?
by *Beba* / February 16, 2007 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: HP?

Well your walking the wrong road son...

Collapse -
Hmmmm :D
by *Beba* / February 16, 2007 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: HP dv6000

The HpPavilion is the laptop i've been configuring for the pass days on www.hp.com, That is the laptop am going to buy and pf course i love hp i got an hp desktop Happy

Collapse -
Hp
by *Beba* / February 16, 2007 9:12 AM PST

For Multi Media Tasking i suggest you go with the Hp...

Collapse -
Anything but a Toshiba!
by Moonlight Gambler / March 16, 2007 11:44 PM PDT

Out of four Toshiba laptops purchased since December 2000 two have had to be replaced due to component failure, (one in the first week, the other after eighteen months), and one has spent 29% of it's life in for repairs! The fourth, a Satellite 2800, is still going strong - a 75% failure rate.

Apple, Dell , and HP all have better support than Toshiba.

I don't have any knowledge on Gateway or Sony.

Collapse -
(NT) Which models failed?
by Igiveup2 / March 17, 2007 9:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
toshiba
by motleydrew / August 24, 2011 2:13 PM PDT

my grand parants own a toshiba satalite and it gets way to hot to the point it burns. that seems to be commen since i walked into walmart and saw they had a recall on some toshiba laptops becouse they got so hot the batterys would explode

Collapse -
apple
by james75 / March 25, 2007 5:33 PM PDT

i think that apples are better for multimedia, i would get one, but the only problem is getting programes for macs, it's esier to get pc versions!
anyway here's a link for a macbook.
http://shorl.com/redipijyfofry

Collapse -
mac
by cyberj / March 25, 2007 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: apple

i have a macbook and have so far had no probs at all!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.