Desktops forum

General discussion

Dell vs. HP Desktop?

by suzycat1 / October 13, 2010 11:20 AM PDT

I have had 2 Dell desktops over past 11 years, and now need to upgrade. I was ready to purchase an Inspiron 580 w/Intel i5-760, until several people told me Dell isn't as good anymore and to buy HP. Looking at HP p6680t and E410t w/same processor and same memory, etc. Very similar prices. Which company makes the better product these days?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell vs. HP Desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell vs. HP Desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
dell vs hp
by jenifer04 / October 13, 2010 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell vs. HP Desktop?

My receive with HP (3 unsuccessful motherboards in lower than a twelvemonth and horrible communicating by consumer non-service) - I faculty never get HP again. I've had 3 Dells (1 screen; 2 laptops) over the by past few decades. rattling few problems beyond replacing due to age.

Collapse -
Open opinion here
by Willy / October 13, 2010 11:08 PM PDT

If you review these forums, you'll find just about all makers have problems, some more than others at times or for certain models, yada, yada. The point being, it doesn't matter about the end product but rather how the warranty and/or support service makes a problem/trouble system become working again. In the case for Dell and HP, both don't measure-up to past history. They both fall down on after sale service. However, IMHO Dell is the better of th two. At the same time, I truly believe the "self-help" from their support websites are very good, its the actual people support you count on that differs from one maker to another. Everyone has a "horror story" its the number of real horrors make differ one from the other. I do suggest if possible buy the "business model#" to help lessen problems as they *maybe* more robust and capable. Further, the support could be just as worthy of the sale.

If you like, check out other vendors that make 3rd party PC's which are fact nothing more than "generic PCs" build by local or online vendors. In many cases these offer the h/w side are as good as any other OEM type system. Further, they usually can be more customized PCs, but again look at what your getting plus read the fine print on any purchase. No matter where you get the system, keep the paperwork and if support is required maintain a log.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Willy -- need clarification
by suzycat1 / October 14, 2010 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Open opinion here

Hi Willy:
I think I am getting that message that both are pretty similar. You mentioned "IMHO Dell". Can you please clarify? I looked at the company's business models, but they don't seem to offer the same amount of RAM and hard drive. Almost forces you to go to the Home/Home Office side.

Collapse -
Clarification
by Willy / October 14, 2010 1:31 AM PDT

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

IMHO, isn't a type of Dell system, sorry if that caused confusion. For Dell business models, look for the OptiPlex label. Under Dell, you can customize what the basic model# provides, just be sure you verify that when ordering. You can later however do that as well, like adding more ram, etc..

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Dell v HP
by janice2010 / October 15, 2010 11:42 AM PDT

I have friends reporting horror stories from Dell. I have an Acer Desktop and Laptop. Acer wins hands down with their after sales service. My laptop was bought second hand, after the warranty had expired, and when a problem arose with the cursor I contacted technical support and they solved the problem for me - at no charge. When I get to buy another desktop it will be an acer.

Collapse -
Dell vs HP opinion
by wb2001 / October 16, 2010 12:07 AM PDT

I have 4 HP machines, Vista,(2)XP,98SE. Right now, my main is an HP8100CTO (custom build from 8100e). An as HP EPP (discount) customer, my loyalties are rewarded. HP has always been there for me, even past the warranty with advise and without charge. That said, I recently acquired a Dell Inspiron 518 (it was on the curb), with no hard drive or DVD drive. I contacted a Dell "rep", and asked how I could obtain the "legal OS DVD". He guided me thru the Transfer Ownership process. Four days later I called, my new ownership was finalized, and obtained the OS DVD for less than $20. The "rep" gave me his personal # at Dell, and told me to call if I needed help. Furthermore, he instructed me as to what extra driver downloads where needed from the Download Site.

Answer: Loyality is rewarded. But a new customer at Dell is cultivated.

Collapse -
Dell is better
by 16Darkmax / January 5, 2012 1:08 AM PST

i have had dell for 10 years and it is better in my opinion i have had no trouble with costumer support and the pc is great quality

Collapse -
Dell vs HP Desktop
by Rick4047 / March 2, 2012 2:28 PM PST
In reply to: Dell is better

A few weeks ago (2/24/2012) I received my HPE Phoenix h9t Desktop and I love it!
I've always purchased Dell but at the end of the day I could not find myself to do it. Since I had never owned an HP I was a bit hesitant so I spent a lot time comparing and researching. I discovered that I could not get as good of a deal with Dell in price or configuration.
When I compared apples to apples in configuration (CPU, Memory, drives, etc...) HP was a little less expensive. What really swayed me towards HP was that with Dell I could not get the configuration I wanted... No Solid State Hard Drives, No TV Tuner, No Bluetooth, the 8 gig memory they offered took up all 4 slots which would force me to repurchase that 8gig again when I save enough to upgrade to 16gig, No free 15 month antivirus and no Office 2010 starter. Also, the reviews on customer service gave me a sense that things are better with HP.
If you are looking for a high performance Desktop, my recommendation is get one of the HP Phoenix offerings. I specially recommend you get a Solid State Hard Drive...My HP h9t boots in about 10 seconds. Finally, and although it's just cosmetic I really like the sleek look of my HP h9t. The clear side panel with red glowing interior and lines are pretty cool. I hope I've helped you in making your decision in which ever direction you go. Cheers!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.