Laptops

General discussion

Dell vs HP

by aznjules86 / June 13, 2010 1:34 PM PDT

Hi,

I am looking for a new 17 inch laptop to run intensive design programs. Can anyone recommend Dell or HP? I've heard Dell in general, along with their customer support is good but their quality doesn't like before.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell vs HP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell vs HP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So be more specific?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2010 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell vs HP

If I look at the HP Envy line and compare it to better business Dell units I would take either. Surrounded by Dells at the office the only reason we have trouble is simple. Any failure would be a Dell be that's about all we have.

So the HP Envy?
Bob

Collapse -
laptop recommendations
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / June 14, 2010 3:27 AM PDT

Hi there,

Are there any particular models that you are looking at? With some more information I can help guide you better. What did you think of the HP that Bob suggested?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
HP dv7t and Envy
by funguy123 / June 15, 2010 1:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
HP
by aznjules86 / June 17, 2010 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: HP dv7t and Envy

What is the difference between the Envy and Pavilion series?

Collapse -
In two words.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2010 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: HP

Quality.
Value.

Collapse -
Pavilion vs. Envy
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / June 18, 2010 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: HP

Hi there,

As for the specs on the two laptops through the posted links, the HP Pavilion has 6 GB RAM and a larger hard drive. The HP Envy has 4 GB and a smaller hard drive. However, the HP Envy is more portable because of it's smaller screen size. It really depends on which specs are most important to you.

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Advices on laptop
by geodano / June 20, 2010 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Pavilion vs. Envy

Hi there,

As hp just recently launched their pavilion dv7 select edition, just wondering if you were to compare it with a envy 17, which would be better. They both looks the same in the site other than the keyboard of the dv7. Another thing is that is it possible to customize a Envy 17 and send one out of the US, because I'm currently living in Australia and Malaysia and every time it comes to checkout, I can't proceed due to my address. Australia sells an older version (slow ram n graphics) of the Envy 17 but cost way more compared to the US model; likewise the Malaysian hp online shop only sells one type (Envy 15) with bare modification with an extra huge price tag. I'm just looking for a computer which will last me for at least 5 years down the road, which are capable of doing future tasks in a few more years. (I'm a student using a 5 yr hp pav dv6000, crash when render high graphics work and support low resolution for modern games <Geforce 7400>. unable to continue using it because of batt life and performance. I am happy to lugg around a huge 17 to do my work). Thanks.

geodano

Collapse -
And.... your answer is.......
by ms_triple / October 30, 2010 2:22 PM PDT

Get the HP and choose between the ENVY and DV7T. You have to go to the HP web page and look at all of the customization options available and decide exactly what you want. The reason for going with HP over DELL is simple, HP is readily available for hands on inspections. You will want to decide whether you like the appearance and the screen but one very important feature is the keyboard. You need to type on the thing. DELL is not as easily accessed. Along with this it also poses a greater degree of hassle when it comes to resolving problems. Right out the gate you may pick something you don't like with the DELL because you may only have online information to judge by depending on where you are located. You can eliminate some of this by checking the product out in person before deciding......something easily accomplished with an HP. Of course you will not likely have the exact model you end up with if you customize your laptop but the main issues are the appearance both literal and screen as well as the keyboard. The other stuff is secondary to the initial decision.

Collapse -
Can you extend comparing?
by cnetuser88 / October 30, 2010 3:02 PM PDT

Most of people here seem in favor of the HP. How about HP verses Toshiba? Do you think which laptop is better, Toshiba or HP laptop if they are in the same price line and why? Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.