Dell forum

General discussion

Dell Vostro startup issue - new PS?

by BamaPanda / February 24, 2010 4:13 AM PST

Hi
1st post here.

I have a Dell Vostro slim case. For quite a spell now if allowed to go to sleep OR just turned off - most of the time it will not start back up. If I turn off the power strip for a period of time, then it will start.

When in the sleep mode the light stays on at the front of the case, blinking to show power is still there.

I have downloaded and installed the latest bios, which did not help. My first thought is the power supply, but I thought it might be wise to check here before I get another.

Thanks for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Vostro startup issue - new PS?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Vostro startup issue - new PS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi, Bamapanda:
by Osprey4 / February 24, 2010 9:53 AM PST

It sure would be helpful if you provided the model number.

Normally, my response to such questions is to say that desktops are not designed for power management, so don't use standby or hibernate. And DO NOT use an external switch. Just use the normal shut down and start up procedures.

Collapse -
Thanks ...more info
by BamaPanda / February 24, 2010 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: Hi, Bamapanda:

Thanks for the reply.

It is a Vostro 200; XP Home w/ SP2.

Good point on using power settings. I will keep that in mind.

The main problem is not actually related to that, though. I can turn the unit off and if the power is still to the unit via the power strip, it will not start back up. When I trip the switch off on the power strip for a period, then flip the switch before I turn the PC back on - it will start.

When I did a Google on this, there seemed to be a lot of similar situations with Dells ..but little solutions that I could find. Hope to find an answer here, even if it is just a problem that Dell has - but has no solution for.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Another question
by Osprey4 / February 25, 2010 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks ...more info
Collapse -
Battery and power supply issue
by tom.schavo / February 27, 2010 6:59 AM PST

This is a common problem with Dell vostros. This is happening due to static created by battery when power supply is plugged in and plugged out.

Try this, simply take of the battery once and then press the power button for like 10 seconds. you will feel that the laptop goes dead and static is flushed out. Now plug it only with power and see if it works normally. If it does, then you have isolated the issue pretty well and you know its battery creating issue. Plug back the battery and if problem persists again, then change the battery. Check out vostro troubleshooting on the dell site here: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/product_support/product_support_central?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=VOS_N_1200

Collapse -
Dell Vostro 200 powering on & off issues revisited.
by Dthatton / May 15, 2010 6:36 AM PDT

I'm searching for results for the same issue. The information provided in this thread is incorrect since the vostro 200 in question is a desktop not a laptop. Coincidentally this is the only pc (again a vostro 200 like the original poster) i've purchased from dell that ever had an issue. I bought it for my parents business and now it has a powering problem. The computer powers itself off and the power fans come on late at night while they are sleeping as if the computer is trying to turn itself on. Their only recourse was to turn the power strip off totally to the machine. It now turns itself off randomly when in use. It may last 3 hours, it may last 3 seconds. It will then randomly turn itself back on again it may be 3 minutes it may be 3 hours. Nothing is overheating, nothing tests as "bad". All updates are current and i'm at a complete loss. I've read quite a few people having this problem with no answers. Tossing this out to the tech wolves with bigger teeth than mine.

Collapse -
Try this
by choffman41 / June 3, 2010 10:55 AM PDT

Try going into the CMOS setup and check the power management settings.

Collapse -
CMOS
by Dthatton / June 4, 2010 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

I changed the power management when I first set it up. Now I can't even get it to power up enough to start windows. Going to have to try the power supply after all I guess. I bought them a new system already because I don't want them to have a loser computer for their business so now it's just a matter of seeing if I can keep the vostro or if it becomes spare parts in my office. Just tired of messing with it and no-one seems to have any idea other than "it's a common problem with vostro systems". I'd think if it was that common, Dell would have done something about it by now.

Collapse -
Factory deffects Vostro 260s
by reycestero14 / May 16, 2014 4:32 AM PDT

I bought 60 of them. During warranty I was denied the parts to fix 6 of this lemon computers, this is a factory defect, it requires a new motherboard, power supply and cycle switch. The reason I say is factory defect is that they know how to fix this particular problem that requieres swapping those specific parts.

I KNOW MICHAEL DELL DOESN'T CARE ANYMORE... LIKE ANY COMPANY OUT THERE THAT GOT BIG... THE HELL WITH THE CUSTOMERS.

I SAY HITTING WHERE IT HURTS. I WILL STOP BUYING FROM DELL... IF MANY OF US BOYCOTS THEM THEY WILL START LISTENING.

Collapse -
This thread is more than 1541 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2014 5:26 AM PDT

And so few machines have a warranty that long.

I'm encountering folk that have 5+ year old machines that need repair and the owners are screaming "factory defect." It's hard to agree on that one.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.