The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Dell Vista Express upgrade

by topherbone / January 30, 2007 5:33 AM PST

Ahh, buying a new computer from Dell over the holidays was supposed to give me the best of both worlds. I was going to have time to tinker with it during a vacation and I was going to get the Vista upgrade as soon as it came out.
Unfortunately, Dell now states that they are hoping to send the upgrade package out 6-8 weeks AFTER Vista is available.
Needless to say, I should have waited.
Has anybody heard a solution to this problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Vista Express upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Vista Express upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Someone finally picked up this story
by topherbone / February 22, 2007 11:48 AM PST

I'll answer myself...since I'm the only bonehead BOL listener who did the Vista Express Upgrade program
Tom's Hardware Guide (not related to Mr. Merritt) discusses this industry wide problem and notes that none of these "express" upgrades have shipped yet.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/22/windows_express_upgrade/

Collapse -
That Sucks
by Balls_Maximus / February 22, 2007 12:10 PM PST

Does anyone know in Universities are carrying Vista upgrades yet? I recall getting my XP pro 64 bit upgrade for $20. College kids like myself would buy friends XP, and office, for dinner and beer money. (Note: I never did that, that would be wrong.) I'm sure someone at Ohio University would do it for you.

Collapse -
Well you are not the only bonehead.
by jancawa55 / March 2, 2007 10:25 AM PST

I have been holding my breath and waiting for my "Express upgrade". I died waiting. The only confirmation I got was an acknowledgment that I am due one and will be contacted when they begin the program. (Systemax by the way)
One month has gone by since Vista release and may well be another before I hear anything. I am running Vista RC1 which I already had. Now MS is nagging me to upgrade since RC1 is no longer supported. I'd threaten to never buy another one with an express upgrade but I am so old I am likely to be gone before the Core2.

Collapse -
Express Vista fianlly here!
by irishspirit7 / March 2, 2007 12:17 PM PST

I can relate so here is my first post to any board on CNET. I had waited,saved and window shopped for almost a year and in December (around the 22nd)I called Dell and ordered a replacement desktop and my first laptop. Both came with the Express Vista Upgrade. DHL delivered my package yesterday, March 1st. I guess I had hoped for better customer service than that. It ticked me off when I saw Vista in Costco and other retailers long before I saw it delivered to my door! I do n ot have time to download it yet but hope to over the weekend.

Collapse -
I'll shut up now
by topherbone / March 2, 2007 12:52 PM PST

At least it wasn't the dreaded 6-8 weeks AFTER they started shipping. I got my upgrade package yesterday along with the help disk from Dell.
I'll report back on the installation process.
I still don't appreciate the way it went down though.
Thanks for not letting me feel alone!
Chris

Collapse -
Let Me Know....
by irishspirit7 / March 2, 2007 2:58 PM PST
In reply to: I'll shut up now

When did Microsoft first send Vista out? I got the disc and the help disc plus a booklet. It says you need to back everything up before you upgrade. How do I do that? Let me know how it goes when you get it done and how you like it.

K

Collapse -
Upgrade woes
by topherbone / March 4, 2007 2:26 PM PST
In reply to: Let Me Know....

irishspirit...
Well, if you have another computer networked to your "to-be upgraded" computer you can copy files that way, otherwise you can burn your stuff to a DVD.
I ran the upgrade fairly flawlessly and all of my stuff was still there. Unfortunately, there were some glitches with Sonic software and installshield software. It also took me several days to get Norton 2007 working right (its upgraded if you have Norton 2006 on your Dell system).

But as I tried to activate a copy of Office 2003 on this computer, I got the blue screen of death and one of my Raid 1 drives died. I thought fixing that was the beauty of having Raid drives but after an hour chat with Dell, they said "You will need to backup your information as best you can. We will need to erase everything on the system and recreate the RAID array and reinstall windows."
Yikes...so now my computer only boots up in safe mode and I'm going to have to spend countless hours reinstalling everything.
I wish I had better luck...that being said Vista worked well when it did work.
Good night,
Chris

Collapse -
Bonehead again
by jancawa55 / June 10, 2007 8:20 AM PDT

Well doggies! I just got my Vista "Express upgrade" in the mail Friday June 8. Isn't that special! Only a mere 6 mos after buying the computer. I already bought Home Premium (3 mos ago) when I gave up on the upgrade. Now what to do with this upgrade to Business? which is a ******* choice from XP2 but what the hey. Is there a market for this hmm I have to check E-Bay.

Collapse -
Like you I Bought Another Version
by Renegade Knight / June 12, 2007 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Bonehead again

I bought Vista Ultimate and installed that. Then I tried to sell my unused and uninstalled Vista Express upgrade on eBay to another computer user who had a qualifying system.

Microsoft blocked my auction. They said "It's a part of the computer it came with" they did nothing to acknowlege the fact that I already have Vista Ultimate on it (which by the liscence agreement is part of the computer) or that others would have a legitimate right of use.

Thus per MS I have Two Vista's both a "Part of my computer" one of which has never touched the computer and I'm out money on the deal. They seem to have an entire department who has the time to monitor auctions and ask eBay to pull them, provide generic answers to specific auctions they blocke and who can't answer specific questions or actually propose solutions to problems created by MS to begin with.

I'm not a happy camper when it comes to MS.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.