Dell forum

Dell Studio XPS 435mt lights power indicator but won't boot

by Steven7000 / March 24, 2013 7:57 AM PDT

Dell Studio XPS 435mt lights power indicator but won't boot.

2 or so years old Dell desktop is down and not wanting to come back up. Fans are off.

When I press the power button, the power LED blinks orange, otherwise it's off. Windows 7, sp1 I think, 6 GB RAM

Are there any answers or advice for this one?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Studio XPS 435mt lights power indicator but won't boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Studio XPS 435mt lights power indicator but won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Dell Studio XPS 435mt lights power indicator but won't boot
by DELL-Appu_S Dell staff / March 25, 2013 2:36 PM PDT

Hi Steven,

I would suggest you drain the residual power from the laptop. Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer -> remove the power cable -> press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds -> reconnect the power cable and check.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to remove all the memory modules and reseat the graphics card (if available) from the computer. Put one RAM at a time and check if there is any change. Ensure that you check in all available slots with just one RAM.

You may refer to the service manual . Please ensure to follow the safety instructions.
Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Appu S

Collapse -
I had same issue on my Dell Studio XPS 435MT, it was PSU
by cxy / September 17, 2013 2:32 AM PDT

I had a similar issue. Power LED blinked orange. Holding down power button made the fan pulse like it was trying to start running but didn't have enough power. Following other peoples' advice on the Dell forums, I replaced the power supply with a higher capacity power supply (I used a Corsair CX430) and that took care of it.

Collapse -
Had same problem for a couple years. Fixed it, finally.
by enzoab / November 7, 2014 11:14 AM PST

I got this PC for free. From time to time it just wouldn't start; power light on, ampler board light on but puch the button and nothing. Sometimes, after I pulled a USP cable out it would magically start, etc. Finally this unit just would start up. I bought this supply:

480W Power Supply for Dell Studio XPS 435MT N250K J860K DPS-360FB-1A PS-5361-2

from this seller on ebay: kdmpower

Less than $50, arrived in two days, new, with other wiring to cover other units.

PC now starts every time, no more issues. very happy.

Collapse -
Dell Studio XPS 435mt won't start...
by zsoltbende / September 10, 2015 12:05 PM PDT

I got the dell studio xps 435mt in 2009. in the fall of 2013, i noticed one day that the computer would not startup when i pressed the power button. I waited a couple days and tried again and it did start up, ever since then, getting the computer to turn on was a battle, I would unplug and replug the power cord over and over again, unplug and replug the cat5 cable from the NIC because for some reason it would sometimes help start the computer. I've been doing this the past 2 years and getting by, sometimes it would start immediately other times it would take dozens of attempts. Finally in sep of 2015 i couldn't get the computer to turn on after an hour of trying the above. I noticed the green light on the back panel of the power supply was much dimmer than usual. I've also realized based on prior experience, that my chances of starting the computer seemed to depend on the brightness/steadiness of this green light on the back. So i read a bunch of forums and threads about difficulties getting the dell studio xps 435mt to turn on and a lot of people said a new power supply was the answer. I went to best buy and got a 520 watt insignia power supply. It is a tighter fit in the case compared to the factory installed 350 watt power supply but it fits perfectly fine. No problems attaching the 4 rear screws of the power supply to the chassis either. I think the easiest way to install the new power supply is to start with the 8pin motherboard connector then plug in all the remaining connections first(except the top cd drive) before trying to fit the power supply in the chassis. Then position the power supply in the chassis and then plug in the top cd drive. A number of people have said the reason the power supply fails is 1. computer power supplys lose power as they age and 2. a 350 watt power supply is underpowered for the dell studio xps435mt. After all the connections were made, everything powered up no problem. I shut down and powered up again to see if there would be any issues. There were none. Additionally i've noticed that some of the usb ports that didn't work before, work now, i imagine because they were insufficiently powered. I manage to squeeze out 6 years from my factory power supply, not bad considering typical lifespans of pc power supplys. If you're experiencing similar issues with your computer, I would suggest that you don't need to test your power supply or motherboard or power switch, just get a new power supply with more wattage. Make sure the replacement power supply has 1. an 8 pin or a 4+4 pin motherboard connector(the 520watt insignia is a 4+4 connector). the other connectors (24 pin motherboard connector), hdd, disk drive and graphics card connectors are pretty standard. When you remove the old power supply and install the new one, be sure to touch the computer chassis periodically to discharge static electricity. Also note the shape of the motherboard connectors as they fit only one way(some have rounded edges some are square). The new power supply only cost me $50 to bring life back to my computer so I'm pretty happy about that.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.