Laptops forum

Dell Studio 1558 I5 Turns on but wont stay on : (

by grannville / April 14, 2013 3:21 AM PDT

Hi Guys,

I bought a dell 1558 studi laptop and when I turned it on the fans were running like crazy, I installed speed fan and the cores (i5) were at 60 deg at idle.

So I thought, hmm new thermal paste.

Bought some Arctic silver, cleaned it with the Arctic cleaners and skimmed it on as usual.

I replaced the GPU and 2 smaller chips thermal stickers with Pyobia 7wt and slapped it back togther - jobs a good un.

But when it turns on from stone cold, windows starts up and goes to desktop. I can run speedfan and the cores are at 45degs, the fans then kick in successively faster and then the sceen goes black - computer still powered up fans running.

If I then restart it takes less time for the screen to go black - fans now running at vmax

It will happily sit in the Bios screen like a champ, (fans on max mind).

Is it goosed? sometimes It flickers a BSOD but I dont have time to read it before it pegs out.

Any ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Studio 1558 I5 Turns on but wont stay on : (
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Studio 1558 I5 Turns on but wont stay on : (
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I'm confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 3:24 AM PDT

Just bought = warranty. Why are you doing all this work?

I'm left to guess the unit was a dead one and you got it to fix. From the sounds of this I would be changing the motherboard and testing the battery as it might be worn out.

Collapse -
by grannville / April 14, 2013 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused.

Sorry Bob, yeah twas second hand.

Got another battery from my 1555 which does the same.

Seems strange it seems to be overheating but speedfan show temps at 50 max.

Collapse -
Then let's discuss
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah

If you have been around the block a few times you learn that parts can become heat sensitive. A part for what ever reason could fail at a lower temp than a good one. Once in a while a new tech will be sorely confused about this area but the more repairs you do the more likely you will find a part that needs to be chilly to work.

You also seem to be fixated on just the CPU temp. As other parts can be heat sensitive your better tech owns a laser spot thermometer so measure the other parts too.

As to the battery, a laptop can run without it so we always test with and without.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.