Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Dell

Question

Dell's Optiplex 7010 mini tower SSD hang-up issue

by dc_2000 / May 9, 2013 7:40 AM PDT

Hi everyone:

I was curious if anyone else experienced this issue? I have a Dell OptiPlex 7010 desktop/mini tower that I bought off the official Dell site. I configured that mini tower to have an SSD drive as the main drive, which I like very much, except one very annoying issue. Sometimes out of the blue Windows 7 will hang up, I can't click anything and the mouse starts spinning in a circle. This continues on for about half a minute and then it always comes back to life. Suddenly I start getting all my previous clicks moving windows, opening things, etc, all at once. This happened at least a dozen of times by now and I started to notice that when this happens the HDD/SSD LED on the case glows solid, which made me suspect that there's something going on with the drive itself.

Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix this?

PS. I tried contacting Dell support about this issue but they are pretty useless. I spent several hours in a chat with a guy once that eventually simply hung up on me. Then I emailed someone at Dell, for which the guy replied with instructions to run their hard drive diagnostic tool, which I did, that did not show any errors. (Note that I don't have a hard drive, it's a solid state drive.) I replied to the guy only to never hear from him again.... So I think I'm pretty much done with the Dell support Sad

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell's Optiplex 7010 mini tower SSD hang-up issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell's Optiplex 7010 mini tower SSD hang-up issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes. and no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2013 8:10 AM PDT

Right or wrong I'm having to update firmware, BIOS and reload the OS. I can't offer any step by step as each machine differs. Sometimes I toss out the SSD and put in a normal drive.

You have a fine warranty issue so be sure to let them try 3 times and then ask them to replace it because its a lemon (or get a refund.)

In short, the industry is still in beta testing.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks...
by dc_2000 / May 9, 2013 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes. and no.

Well, that is the issue. This is our office machine and I can't just send it back to them without having something else instead.... Do Dell consider cases like that?

Collapse -
Only for business sales.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2013 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

I don't know your warranty or such situation but the issue is not unheard of.

But this sounds very dangerous to me. Computers get infected and fail all the time. But no need to write about that here.
Bob

Collapse -
OK.
by dc_2000 / May 10, 2013 5:54 AM PDT

OK. Thanks. Point taken!

Collapse -
I think I got it...
by dc_2000 / May 17, 2013 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: OK.

For those who also runs into the same issue. After a long search this seems to have solved my problem:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails?driverId=0FW0X

That is the Liteon LCT-128M3S SSDR Firmware VQDC update and although I ran it on Windows 7 (and not Windows 8 as that page suggests) I haven't seen those hang-up for awhile... keeping my fingers crossed.

PS. Lesson for the future -- NEVER buy again from Dell!

Collapse -
Re:Lesso for the future-- Never buy from Dell again
by itsdigger / May 17, 2013 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I think I got it...
Collapse -
typo
by itsdigger / May 17, 2013 10:47 AM PDT

meant Lesson

Collapse -
Firmware. Nod.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: I think I got it...

It sounds just like my prior run ins. I can't guess why such is on the market except we are being used as crash test dummies.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.