Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dell reinstallation CD XP Home Edition SP1a

by janal95 / July 1, 2007 6:27 AM PDT

This came with my Dimension 2400 desktop 3 years ago which of course I updated to SP2. I was wondering if it could be used as the operating system for another laptop without one (maybe Dell or Toshiba) for my second computer and still be recognized for all the Microsoft updates. Someday my Fujitsu 655 TX hard drive will use up all of its rotations!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell reinstallation CD XP Home Edition SP1a
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell reinstallation CD XP Home Edition SP1a
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No...
by John.Wilkinson / July 1, 2007 2:15 PM PDT

The OEM copy of Windows included by Dell is locked to the specific computer, regardless of whether it's still in use on that computer or not. Thus, technically and legally the project is dead on arrival. However, if you're in the market for a cheap operating system have you considered free Linux distros such as Ubunut?

John

Collapse -
by janal95 / July 1, 2007 6:43 PM PDT
In reply to: No...

Thanks for the tip on the other system. There is a possible used Dell laptop which I may purchase on E-Bay with XP Home installed. I guess if I don't receive the installation disk with it, I will be blocked from downloading the Microsoft security updates and in big trouble if
a complete system restore is needed.

Collapse -
Fix for your Fuji 665 TX issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2007 12:06 AM PDT

It's time to back up that hard disk. I suggest Acronis since you can get a copy of that hard disk to DVDR or other such big media.

This is cheaper and less headache than a new licensed copy of XP and then trying to find all the drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
Reply II
by janal95 / July 2, 2007 1:29 AM PDT

I didn't state the second question correctly. The used laptop on E-bay will come with XP Home installed and running, but without the reinstallation CD. Does this mean I can't update the system with the security KB's from Microsoft? I understand in the event of a total failure that I must buy an unused Dell OEM disk(How could this be?) or new/used full version with COA (I think?).

Thanks

Collapse -
It's risky.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2007 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply II

If this were me I would want to know why a laptop running XP doesn't have the original XP installation CD with it. I know that Dell, as with other PC suppliers, do not supply the CD with the package, but I would not expect to sell a computer on eBay or elsewhere without getting that disk from Dell first to include with the sale of the computer.

I would ask the seller questions, and scrutinize their reply for anything that sounds uncomfortable. eg, where is all the paper work for the Dell? Is there a CD? If not, why not? What happens if the Operating System crashes, what fall-back do you have with the seller?

If you purchase that laptop and it crashes when you use it, where are you then?

Just my own reservations.

Mark

Collapse -
Yes you can.
by YankeesNYwins / July 2, 2007 6:50 AM PDT

Just contact Microsoft and read the numbers and they will read numbers back to you and activate it assuming you are giving them the product key on the computer.

Collapse -
Not so
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2007 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes you can.

The CD is an OEM XP CD for an Operating System already installed on a computer. Microsoft will not allow that CD to be used to install on any other computer.

Mark

Collapse -
THANKS FOR THE INFO!!
by janal95 / July 2, 2007 8:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Not so

Please close the discussion. All the facts of the E-Bay sellers are omitted (buyer beware) or never had a major XP crash. My XP Home SP2
went into a CPU loop using the Network Wizard and baffled Microsoft for 1 week and went up 2 levels in support before a complete restore was recommended. Also, the repair option didn't fix the problem. All is ok now. A real bug!

Collapse -
Thanks for reporting back.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 3, 2007 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: THANKS FOR THE INFO!!

Although the discussion can be treated as closed now from your point of view, we will leave the discussion unlocked for a while in case others with similar problems want to see it and comment.

I'm glad you got your problem sorted in the end.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.