Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dell or HP...HELP!

by sumner929 / November 19, 2009 2:30 AM PST

I need a new desktop as mine crashed (RIP). I was looking through Black Friday deals and came across two potentially awesome computers. One was a Dell and one was an HP, the only difference between the two was the HP had AMD Athlon x4 while the Dell had AMD athlon x2. Both came with 20 inch monitor, printer, 4GB Ram 640 Memory all for $499

My question is, which one do I get? I've been loyal to Dell for quite some time (since 97). I just want the most bang for a my buck and the computer to last a long time. The one I had that just died I've only had for 2-3 years (Inspiron e310 desktop). Please help, and thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell or HP...HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell or HP...HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd say neither
by Jimmy Greystone / November 19, 2009 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Dell or HP...HELP!

I'd say neither, since at that price point, either system is likely to be a POS. However, if you had to buy one or the other, I'd go with the Dell simply because they're LESS likely to fail in some way. Which isn't to say they won't, and around the $500 mark you're taking your chances in a big way no matter what the brand, but just to pull some random figures out of the air, a Dell might have a 1:4 chance of failing, while an HP might have a 1:3 chance.

There's no free ride with electronics. You can either pay up front with cash, or you can pay over time in terms of problems and frustration. It's up to you which one you choose, but you have to choose one.

Collapse -
dell or hp
by Tianyi Han / November 20, 2009 10:19 PM PST

Dell...
What they lack for in labtops, they make up with all around great configurable desktops. I'm using an Inspiron 530S and it works great(I went XP before Vista became dominant)

Collapse -
HP for sure
by lmustric / November 23, 2009 9:37 AM PST

Didn't even read your post, just the subject line, but had to reply! I used to be a Dell person until I ended up with 2 bad hard drives in a row from them. Switched to HP products and have been happy.

Collapse -
Forget Dell
by pedrojim / November 23, 2009 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: HP for sure

After 3 bad Dell desktops in 3 and a half years, I'm done. Each one was worse than the last. The last one, which I purchased last year, was the last straw for me. Whithin 5 months Dell had replaced the motherboard, hard drive, processor, memory, and finally the power supply. This computer had everything new and still did not work right! The computer was under warrant and came with a 19 inch lcd monitor. At the time a 19 inch lcd monitor was going for about $200 dollars. I gave a $1000 dollars for this computer. I offered it to the computer tech that had came 4 times to fix it for $350 with the lcd monitor. He bought it, Good bye and Good Riddance. I purchased an HP june 2008 at Office Depot and have not had a single problem! Also HPS are easier to work on. I only shut my computer off when I go to bed. Hope this helps, Olpedro

Collapse -
I'd have to disagree
by Jimmy Greystone / November 24, 2009 12:59 AM PST
In reply to: Forget Dell

I'd have to disagree on that one.

I service Dell systems for a living, and so while some of their designs are less than optimal (the Optiplex 2xx series comes to mind, and virtually every small form factor, let alone ultra small form factor) every time I've tried working on an HP/Compaq system, that makes even the worst Dell designs seem excellent.

I also service Apple systems, and while I'm a huge fan of the Mac Pro case, which is an absolutely beautiful design internally with everything being on easy to pull out trays and aside from the optical drive, completely cableless. The iMac G5 was also a pretty good design from the technician's standpoint. Set it down, undo about three captive screws, and just yank the back off. All their new designs are just awful. You don't even want to know what a pain it is to replace the motherboard in a MacBook. And the new aluminum iMacs require you to take off the glass cover, which is untempered glass, then you have to take out the display, before you can get to any of the other internals except for the RAM which is located at the bottom.

So, I'd have to say the tech they sent out to fix your system probably didn't really know what he was doing. To be honest, Dell's certification process is a joke. It's an open book, no time limit, online test. And a lot of the questions are very poorly worded, or they'll put in questions where the answer is nowhere to be found in the reading material.

But every now and then you do run into a problem that gives a lot of false readings. On a couple of occasions I've been called out to try and fix something that looks like one problem but turns out to be another.

And there is some actual evidence that HP systems have a higher failure rate. The company SquareTrade sells extended warranties on electronic devices. They recently did a survey of about 30,000 laptops and according to their figures Dell has an 18.3% failure rate within 3 years. HP ranked last with a 25.6% failure rate within 3 years. Incidentally, Acer had a 23.3% failure rate within 3 years. Which seems to be pretty much in line with my contention that HP and Acer are duking it out for the right to say they make the biggest pile of crap. Seems HP is winning at the moment, but Acer is nipping at their heels. Probably within the margin of error on the survey, so they could well be neck in neck. So basically, 1 in 4 HP laptops can be expected to fail within 3 years. Dell is a bit under 1 in 5.

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf For all the gory details.

I myself have an Inspiron 530 desktop that basically runs 24/7 except for about 2X a year when I go on a 1-2 week trip to visit family half way across the country. Served me well for about 1.5 years. I also have a Studio Slim that I've used as a HTPC for about the past 7-8 months, and has served me well. I have had a few minor issues with my Studio 17 laptop. First one I got was defective, but they replaced it. The replacement has been pretty reliable. Enough so that I plan on replacing my two desktop systems with a Studio XPS 8000 imminently. I'm perfectly willing to eat my own dog food so to speak.

Collapse -
Agree?
by pedrojim / November 24, 2009 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: I'd have to disagree

Hey Jimmy, just wanted to respond. I've read the statistics on CNET and Crave and you're correct. I dont disagree with you about the statistics. I was stating my personal expierence. I've also had several friends that have had bad expierence's with Dell desktops. As my post stated, mine were nightmares. After 3 DESKTOPS in 3 and a half years, you can understand my frustation. Our family buys new desktops and laptops about every year and a half. We have also purchased 4 Dell laptops in the last 4 years. They've all been great. We sold all but our first laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6000. I kept it because it still works great, has XP and runs Musicmatch. Its still one of the best looking laptops out there. Just to let you know, I'm also computer repair guy. Olpedro

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.