Laptops forum

Dell or Asus?

by teveringham / May 24, 2011 9:14 PM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> I have been looking for a 17.3" gaming laptop and have done quite a bit of searching. I have finally narrowed it down to 2 laptops which I can get in my country, South Africa. I want to play high end games like Crysis 2 in FHD! I am unsure if the Dell can run it. The Asus is more expensive but it just appeals a bit more to me and seems to be more of a gaming laptop than the Dell. Will the Dell be able to run big games in FHD and will it's cooling system hold up? I am unsure so I am seeking some professional help. Here are the specs for both laptops.<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Dell XPS L702x Series Notebook XPSL702-I72720-6100 Silver Anodized Aluminium, Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor i7-2720QM 2.2GHz 3MB L3 Cache, 6144MB DDR3-1333 SO-Dimm Memory (1x4096,1x2024), 1TB (2x500) SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive, DVD Super Multi Writer optical drive, 17.3" FULL HD TrueLife LED (1920x1080 resolution) TFT LCD Display, nVidia Geforce GT 555M with 3GB dedicated graphics 3d capable, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN, 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN, 2.0MP Webcam, Backlit Keys, 9 cell battery, Bluetooth, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64, 3 Years Next Business Day On-site Warranty

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell or Asus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell or Asus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
The Asus is on hold in the USA so
by orlbuckeye / May 24, 2011 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell or Asus?

would check the availability. Also it's listed with the i7 - 2630 in the USA. It's also listed with 2 500 GB HD's but no SSD. Are you sure it has 3 drive bays? If it does have 3 drive bays it will be a buit heavier then the Dell. Asus has one of the best manufacturer warranties around. Some models have 1 year accident and 2 years parts warranties.

I think the devastation in the far east affected manufacturing on laptops in the area. So check the availability if you want it now.

Collapse -
The Dell
by iPodTouchSmile / May 28, 2011 11:02 PM PDT

Overall I think the Dell is faster. You listed their speeds without the Intel turbo boost which would boost just over 3.0 ghz. The graphics card doesn't sound as good but it should do you.. They both aren't as speedy so you might wanna find another laptop

Collapse -
Stay Away From Dell Hell
by colorado_mtns / June 6, 2011 8:51 PM PDT

Dell actually makes a very good product, however, no company can produce that many units without some faults along the way. The real test is whether they will stand behind their work. Unfortunately, in these troubled economic times Dell has chosen to do away with anything even closely resembling "customer service."

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.