Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Dell or Apple???

by dickage / April 26, 2006 2:39 AM PDT

I cant decide wether to purchase the Dell E1705 laptop or Apple iMac.

Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell or Apple???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell or Apple???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dell or Apple
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 26, 2006 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell or Apple???

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

How is anyone supposed to help you with your choice when you offer no further information as to what you intend to do with either machine.

The E1705 is a totally unsuitable machine for running OS X or iPhoto, iDVD, Garageband or iMovie. However, it does have the ability to run thousands of virus programs that will not run on the Mac. The E1705 will run Windows, but I'm not sure you could put that in the plus column.

The iMac is very suitable machine for running OS X or iPhoto, iDVD, Garageband or iMovie. It also has a much larger screen with a higher resolution. It can also run Windows but, once again, I'm not sure you could put that in the plus column.

Were you asking a specific question or just trolling around?

P

Collapse -
Dell vs Apple
by zurple07 / April 27, 2006 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell or Apple

Let me just add that I am on my third Dell computer and I consider Dell a very good machine, but Windows is a complete mess and that is what you will have to deal with.

I plan to get a iMAC on May 10th and can hardly wait. As far as I am concerned Windows is a thing of the past. From now on I will be using MAC OS.

Hope this helps. Good luck om your decision!

Jim

Collapse -
Dell is Complete Crap
by Greg465 / May 3, 2006 6:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell vs Apple

Nobody that knows a hint about computers would buy a dell, HP|Compaq makes the best pc's

Collapse -
Dell is Complete Crap
by vingtsun / May 26, 2006 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell is Complete Crap

purchasing a pc, any brand pc, is the problem - they all are loaded with windows. Even pc world/magazine selected MacOS X as the best operating system. Dell or HP or Sony - all roughly equal to 'best beach in Kansas'!

If you are going to invest you hard earned money then buy the best you can - Macintosh.

Collapse -
mac is not the cheaper alternative
by buco55 / April 28, 2007 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell is Complete Crap

Apple advertises a lot for its Mac computer and they make them look nice. And yes there are some programs who for the proffesionals are a must have. BUt other than that, the old PC is better.
If you don't have to use a certain program which runs better or offers better functionality on a Mac such as for audio/video eddition then your better deal is to stick to a PC.
And yes, maybe Dell is crap because it has reached the point to be overly mainstream and the components of lover quality as a cause, but still you have a wider choice on the PC market.
Don't get me wrong, not a long time ago I was praising the Mac's but it proved too expensive and time consuming to learn how to operate on the new system while the device (macbook) felt like it is going to break.

Collapse -
Those the only two choices?
by lampietheclown / April 27, 2006 11:30 PM PDT

Plan on using it on long flights?
The iMac batteries are to big to fit under your seat.

Like the internet?
Windows is a Malware magnet.

Problem solved.

Lampie

Collapse -
My 2 1/2 cents
by Dan Filice / April 28, 2006 7:12 AM PDT

As asked before, what do you plan to do with either computer? If you plan on doing ANYTHING creative with the computer (movie editing, photo slideshows, music, CD or DVD burning), I'd go with the Mac. By the way, you didn't mention if it was a "laptop" Mac, just an iMac. They come in many different flavors. Anyways, you can do all of these creative things on a PC, but 99% of PCs don't come equipped ready to handle downloading video from camcorders or do they come pre-equipped with any photo, movie or sound software tools. But if you plan on simply doing boring business work, and you need to be 100% compatible with your office PC, then go with the Dell. Join the Rebellion and go Mac! Don't go to the Darkside.

Collapse -
I think we got a troll
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 28, 2006 9:48 AM PDT

and not a very good one.

Probably best if we don't feed it anymore

P

Collapse -
Dell or Apple...
by mike_quesnel / May 23, 2006 6:59 PM PDT

That dell you mentioned is a laptop. The apple imac is a desktop. I'm guessing you want to use it for desktop work, so i wont argue that point that if you are going to carry this computer around, it would be pretty difficult to do so with an imac.

I say, if you know your windows and know how to do things right, go with the dell. If you are a simple person and are doing small simple tasks plus want some simple multimedia software, the Apple iMac is the way to go.

Collapse -
I believe your machine
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell or Apple...

has an internal error.

So far everything you have typed in the Mac forums, has included an error:

The error identification number is 10 Tango.

Could you fix it before you post again please.

Thanks

Collapse -
What?
by mike_quesnel / May 24, 2006 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I believe your machine

I dont know what you are talking about.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That error? It's still there
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: What?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Don't know what error you talking about
by mike_quesnel / May 24, 2006 6:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Error
by mike_quesnel / May 24, 2006 7:19 AM PDT

You say that my machine has an internal error? I really don't see any error. And why would my machine have errors? I've been posting from two different machines (Win and Mac, since i know you are pro Mac), so i dont know how it can be an internal error when two machines are used.
Also, like i said, i dont see any error. Maybe somethings bust up on your machine?

Collapse -
I see it too
by lampietheclown / May 24, 2006 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Error

On both of my machines.

In troubleshooting things like this, consider what both of your computers have in common.

Lampie

Collapse -
Confirmation
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I see it too

Thanks, I did spend a long time checking my XP box at work but when I got home I found the same error when I used my Mac.

Appreciate the confirmation of the error

P

Collapse -
I see it
by innocent_bystander / May 24, 2006 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Error

I'm using a W2K machine and it is there. I'm surprised he can't see it

I_B

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) See it too, on my Linux box
by saywhatnow / May 24, 2006 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I see it
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Seems to be taking him some time to track down the error
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 25, 2006 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: I believe your machine
Collapse -
Dell Laptops have CD-DVD problems
by rstinnett / May 26, 2006 12:21 AM PDT

Every Dell Laptop that has come through our office for repair has needed a New CD RW Drive or DVD/RW Drive. Some DVD drives actually gouge a deep score into a DVD.
If you don't have the 3 year in home repair plan.. They will send you a new drive and you can install it yourself.. This is what you get with their basic warranty. Buy an APPLE or HP/Compaq.. Acers are pretty good as well..Toshiba's run hot. Gateway and DELL RUN FAR AWAY!!! Too many Lemons in that bunch.
Just my 2 cents.. Apple OS is easier to use, once you get out of the Windows frame of mind. Just think Backwards!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.