Computer Newbies forum

Question

Dell Optiplex Won't Boot UP

by Lwj328 / May 10, 2012 3:40 PM PDT

My granddaughters computer. Has been working fine. Four days ago my wife took over a new modem {internet provider Clear}. Kids also connected to tv the same night.Computer will not boot up. Tried to do system repair and system response is CD drive is not available.When system gets close to booting {will not boot in safe mode] the fan starts racing I cleaned fan, heat sink and applied new thermal compound. The screen also goes very dim.

All four diagnostic lights are green

I am lost here. I have numerous Dell Optiplex parts here but I do not know where to start.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Optiplex Won't Boot UP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Optiplex Won't Boot UP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tell more about this close to booting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2012 3:48 PM PDT

It appears the machine did in fact BOOT. It just didn't boot up Windows. It could be the old issues with old CD drives and failing hard drives but the clues and story are too slim. But I'd still swap those out.
Bob

Collapse -
by Lwj328 / May 24, 2012 8:48 AM PDT

Hi, I have five Dells because they are cheap and easy to work on as long as they work. In my grandaughters, I have tried 3 DVD which I just pulled a month ago when I updated by PCs' Have tried two hard drives. Have replaced power supply three times; replaced the IDE cable for DVD. Removed the graphics card. Replaced the RAM. Replaced the hard drive connection cable. I have one more hard drive I am going to replace even though I am pretty sure the first two are ok. All these parts were pulled from working computers; I buy a couple every month strictly for parts. Only cost is $50 - $60. It is the challenge that drives me on this. PC still will not boot to windows and does not ego

Collapse -
All that means is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 10:35 AM PDT

You didn't find the bad part or parts. But you did reveal you are swapping drives but didn't write you reinstalled Windows. That's a great clue.

Has anyone told you why Windows fails to boot after such a move? (I won't today)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
by Lwj328 / May 24, 2012 8:47 AM PDT

Hi, I have five Dells because they are cheap and easy to work on as long as they work. In my grandaughters, I have tried 3 DVD which I just pulled a month ago when I updated by PCs' Have tried two hard drives. Have replaced power supply three times; replaced the IDE cable for DVD. Removed the graphics card. Replaced the RAM. Replaced the hard drive connection cable. I have one more hard drive I am going to replace even though I am pretty sure the first two are ok. All these parts were pulled from working computers; I buy a couple every month strictly for parts. Only cost is $50 - $60. It is the challenge that drives me on this. PC still will not boot to windows and does not recognize the DVD drive.

Collapse -
Bad caps
by Willy / May 25, 2012 9:06 AM PDT

You didn't state what Dell PCs are at work here. But, often enough many a Dell has the "bad caps" or the mtrbd. is kaput. If you did a complete re-install, etc., all that was left is the mtrbd. which probably didn't get swapped out, you have your clue. Google for bad caps examples and YES! I have replaced many a Dell mtrbd. for clients.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by Lwj328 / May 25, 2012 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad caps

Hi, was not thinking, can't reload windows because PC does not recogize DVD drive; All of my PCs are GX280's; do you think it is a bad motherboad?

Collapse -
Very common
by Willy / May 26, 2012 12:50 AM PDT

If another drive works or tests OK elsewhere, then consider a bad mtrbd. and/or the drive port itself is bad. A good test is make a bootable Ubuntu disc, make sure drive is 1st boot device and check results. If it still doesn't work, then very probable bad mtrbd. or port. The Dell GX260 and 280 models are constant mtrbd. replacement items. The good news, if you had a working Dell GX280, replace the mtrbd. can w/o any other item fix the problem. Of course, you do need to check and inspect any replacement mtrbd., it just MAYBE one I've sent back. Wink

FYI- Google for bad caps examples, understand it doesn't need to be entirely blown or so obvious, many are slightly tilted or busted/distended bottoms.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.