Dell forum

General discussion

Dell OptiPlex GX270 Won't Boot

by litchj / March 21, 2009 3:53 AM PDT

I am looking at a friend's Dell Optiplex GX270. Apparently, the screen went black while he was using it and it won't boot anymore. I have run Dell Diagnostics on the machine and the hard drive. All tests are successful. I have pulled the drive and I would expect to get a "drive not ready" error or something similar from the BIOS. I can get to a boot menu by pressing F12, and I can get the CMOS setup to come up by pressing F2. Can I assume that this machine only needs a rebuild of WindowsXP, or could something be wrong with the hardware? This machine has an UltraATA hard drive in it. I tried booting a standard ATA drive that I know has a good installation of WinXP, but it would not boot either. This has me confused on how to proceed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell OptiPlex GX270 Won't Boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell OptiPlex GX270 Won't Boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Found Articles About Motherboard Issues
by litchj / March 21, 2009 5:51 AM PDT

After doing more searching, I found some articles about the motherboard in this model PC having issues with its capacitors. This apparently causes the black screen issue. Does anyone know any more about this?

Collapse -
Dell OptiPlex GX270 Won't Boot
by Tombee56 / March 21, 2009 7:51 AM PDT

As a field engineer for Dell, I have replaced more than enough of GX270 motherboards. I would suggest you look at the capacitors on the motherboard. If they are swollen, then you have found your problem. Look at the top of the caps. If you see a "K" then the cap is OK. If you see an "X" then it's swollen. Only answer is a new mobo.
Here in UK, although Dell's warranty would have expired, they made the goodwill gesture of extending for swollen caps on mobos. However, that extension expired about December 2007.
BTW The part number is DLC-FG015

Collapse -
Failed Capacitor
by litchj / March 22, 2009 1:24 AM PDT

Thank you so much for the information about how to detect a bad capacitor on the GX270 motherboard. Yes, in fact, there is one capacitor bulging with an X on the top. All others have the K as you mentioned. I guess this machine is junk. You have saved me time and $$ trying to fix this PC.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.