Dell

General discussion

Dell Not Shipping Windows OS Disk. Why?

by PhilTsalagi / May 24, 2010 1:17 PM PDT

Can someone explain to me why Dell is not shipping the Original Microsoft Operating Systems Install Disk with new computers? This seems ridiculous to me. What if I only want the OS on my computer and not all the other crap? I'm I not purchasing a license to own the software? Please shed so light on this for me.
Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Not Shipping Windows OS Disk. Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Not Shipping Windows OS Disk. Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a new dell machine.
by bob b / May 24, 2010 11:42 PM PDT

It came with an oem windows disc and a drivers disc.

That seemed ok to me.

As for crap......are you talking about the shareware products?

This machine had a bunch of that stuff installed....none of which I wanted.

Sooo....boot from the windows disc....format....install.

After that's done....install the drivers.

POOF....all the shareware has vanished.

A nice spiffy clean install of windows.

Collapse -
Well discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2010 12:58 AM PDT

I see that media can be had for a price so your choice it seems.

But here's the BIG question you asked -> "I'm I not purchasing a license to own the software? "

1. You can't own the software but merely have a licnse.
2. And the license Dell offers is, most of the time the OEM one that dies with the machine. Some forget that (or don't want to know.)
3. To cut costs, most makers let us make restore media.

Well discussed and if Dell won't talk to you about this, why are you buying this?
Bob

Collapse -
Details
by PhilTsalagi / May 25, 2010 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Well discussed.

I understand about the license and software ownership. I just miss-spoke. When I originally discussed this with Dell I asked if I would get the Windows 7 Media disk because I would be reformatting and performing a clean install to get rid of all elements of the 3rd party software. I was told yes. The machine arrived without it and with instructions to create a repair disk with their software. I find it very inappropriate to install software that someone doesn't want on a machine. They don't even give you the option to have only the OS installed.
I spoke with the sales team about this and at this time I am waiting on the Original Windows 7 Operating System Disk. I will have to see what they send. If I get an Original Microsoft disk, I will consider the issue closed. If not. I'm not going to be happy and will consider a lesson learned and go back to building my own.

Collapse -
This will end badly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2010 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Details

As the version you are asking for is not the Dell OEM version this is likely to end badly.

Since this is your sticking point, why not get it back to them so you can go get what you really wanted?

Here I can opt for a full reinstall (I'm willing to buy the Windows 7 license) but there is so little extra installed on the Dells that today I wonder what all the hub bub is about. I'm here and it took just 15 minutes to dust off what Dell added. It would take a day to clean install the OS, find all the drivers and then there's that Dell Quickset.

But hey, your time, your choice. Next time, get it without the OS and supply your own.
Bob

Collapse -
No OS with my brand new Dell Latitude $2800 laptop.
by dirigodev / July 7, 2010 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: This will end badly.

I spend more than $200k a year with Dell. I have >130 systems. To get a laptop without an OS is stupid. At some point we'll need to reformat this unit. The OS License # is not even provided.

I'm a very unhappy customer. My I.T. department does not have time to burn OS backups. The software disc should come with the unit.

Collapse -
Then see if you can find a supplier ...
by Kees Bakker / July 8, 2010 6:39 AM PDT

that meets your needs. How about one that sells Microsofts Volume Licenses?

Kees

Collapse -
Dell has a plan for such buyers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2010 1:28 AM PDT

I can't answer what is going on here but Dell has plans for businesses that demand such things.

If dell doesn't, then stop buying them.
Bob

Collapse -
OEM version
by tuixun / July 7, 2010 3:49 PM PDT

if you use the OEM version of Dell , the problem will be occured , you can take changing version to consideration!

Collapse -
Replacement discs
by Osprey4 / July 9, 2010 8:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
NO
by padyboy / May 28, 2013 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Replacement discs

No I cannot-----------------"page temporarily unavailable" thanx to dell!! Must buy something NEWWWWW!!!

Collapse -
Since it's a dell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: NO
Collapse -
No OS (OEM) With New Computer?
by pkrply9 / July 10, 2010 12:33 PM PDT

I have now had three Dell computers and had the problem of not receiving the OEM disc once but that was my fault. If my memory serves me correctly when ordering by phone I specifically asked for the disc. The other two I ordered on-line and there was a box to check if you wanted it or not. One I did check the box and the one I did not. Needless to say I had the problem of getting it after the fact but eventually all worked out. But the best solution is as said many times before, get the computer and the hardware from the manufacturer but then spend a few extra bucks and get the full OS from your favorite retailer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.