Dell forum

General discussion

Dell need to reformat. No dell factory image restore points!

by veganhs / July 18, 2012 9:20 AM PDT

Long story (in detail below) short: I think I need to reformat my dell studio 14z and when I go to dell factory image restore... there are no restore points. This leads me to no option of restoring to factory settings. Someone please help me!!

Hi, I have had my dell studio 14z 64bit vista for almost 3 years (intel(r) core (TM) 2 duo windows 7 home premium. It runs great (besides the 6 cell battery is going), but lately I've been getting the warning: low disc space: you are running low on disc space on recovery D: I have 14.6gb used, 42.5 mb free. This just happened recently. The only thing I've downloaded lately was when I was taking a test on firefox, I had to switch over to internet explorer and update java. I've since then uninstalled java but that didn't do anything. So maybe it wasn't the java that saved to D: but I don't download games, tv shows ,movies, or anything like that so I don't know what it could have been.
Staples looked at it and said something was saved to D: disc that wasn't supposed to. I can't refrag, I've tried disc clean up which is the recycle bin of 0 files... I've tried everything. I tried to do a system restore point with C: drive but that didn't help. There are no D: drive restore points.. so I decided to back up all my files and do a reformat. So I went to do dell factory image restore but there are no image restore points. none. I now can't do the image restore.
When I got the computer I turned it on and it was loading and I noticed a scratch on the computer so I hard shut down while it was loading because I didn't want to do anything to the computer in case they wouldn't exchange it. I returned it because of the scratch, got another one with a dent , so I settled for the first one with the scratch. Started up again and it was fine. This is the only thing that makes me think that since I did a hard shut down on the initial boot up of the brand new computer, that it didn't restore a factory image restore point..?? But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
The computer runs fine, it's just that annoying D: drive alert. I'd rather just start fresh anyways since I have everything backed up and maybe it'll make my computer run smoother starting fresh.
What are my options?
I don't have an internal disc drive but I have an external drive. The CDs that came with the dell are:
"operating system"-reinstallation DVD, Windows vista home premium 64bit SP1
dell drivers and utilities for reinstalling dell studio 14z computer software
microsoft office 2007

What do you think I should do? Any advice would be helpful.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell need to reformat. No dell factory image restore points!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell need to reformat. No dell factory image restore points!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About drive D
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2012 9:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
thank you
by veganhs / July 19, 2012 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: About drive D

what is the normal disc space used up in D drive on a healthy running computer?

Collapse -
Can be near zero on drive d.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2012 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

This is nothing but a recovery partition. No free space required.

Collapse -
by veganhs / July 20, 2012 10:06 AM PDT

you mean the remaining space could be near zero ?

Collapse -
(NT) It's a restore volume. Nothing more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2012 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: zero?
Collapse -
quick question
by veganhs / July 24, 2012 6:13 AM PDT

someone told me to delete windows from D drive. is this the right move to make? he said it'll free up a lot of space (because as of right now, i can't make ANY system restore points because there is no room)
is it normal for windows to be in D drive?

Collapse -
Only if you want to break the restore system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2012 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: quick question

It seems odd to worry about it since in stock form, the setting is to ignore low disk space on the restore volume.

Can you share why there is a sudden concern here?

Collapse -
RE: Dell need to reformat. No dell factory image restore poi

Dear Veganhs,

I would be happy to assist you with this query. My name is Shomprakash, and I'm a member of the Dell Social Media and Communities Team.

Essentially, the Dell Datasafe Factory Image can be "Created" as a base image. The link to install the DSL Software is at :

Once you download the standalone setup file, you will be required to run the setup. Kindly note that the process of "Base Image Creation" is a long process, and it will allow you to create a new recovery image based on the current status of your hard drive.

However, if the purpose of seeking a factory image restore is to remove additional programs which are already installed, kindly follow the process to do a clean windows re-installation using a Windows Re-installation DVD.

Clean OS Re-installation Steps using the OS Disc are provided:

(First you need to make sure that your External ODD is selected as a bootable device in the system BIOS)

Link for OS Re-installation Steps:

(Once you visit this link please select your Operating System Type as originally shipped with the order ensuring that the correct options (32/64bit) are selected )

If after installing Windows, you need to seek the Dell Branded Utilities, you will find them at the website "My Dell Downloads" (Link :

If this reply was helpful or if you need a further follow-up, Kindly respond here. I will be glad to assist you to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Thanks & Regards
Dell Social Media Responder

Collapse -
quick question
by veganhs / July 24, 2012 6:14 AM PDT

hi thanks for your reply. i don't think i want to make a factory image because something is in the D drive that should not be.

someone told me to delete windows from D drive. is this the right move to make? he said it'll free up a lot of space (because as of right now, i can't make ANY system restore points because there is no room)
is it normal for windows to be in D drive?

Collapse -
RE: Factory Restore
by DELL_shomprakash / July 24, 2012 5:05 PM PDT
In reply to: quick question

Thanks for the response.
Going through your query, I believe that you may have more than one partition for your primary operating system. I would suggest that the Operating System be limited to the primary partition, as per standard Dell procedure.

Ideally, the primary partition (C:) should contain the Windows Installation Directory.
The Recovery (D:) is intended to be a hidden partition that stores your computer's base factory image.

So if a clean installation helps you to restore this operating mechanism, I would suggest you to go ahead.
But don't forget to back up your data first, as a clean OSRI cannot be reversed.

All the best!

Dell Social Media Responder

Collapse -
Try to download the software But is for Win 7
by tusharaipatwar / January 14, 2013 1:10 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.