Computer Help forum

Question

dell "my system" list in driver CD ????

by jboyneedhelp / December 29, 2012 2:21 AM PST

First off let me apologize for not having the time to search out an answer to this question on the forum. It may be here but I'm having no luck.

I have reinstalled the Vista operating system on a dell 1318 laptop hoping to get a little more life out of it. I am doing all this with the operating system and driver cd's that came with the computer.

The driver cd provides a list of drivers that supposedly match the system. Some of these drivers have a check mark and some don't. What are the check marks there to tell me specifically about that particular driver.

I'm initially assumed that the ones with the check marks were the ones I needed to install. On the first attempt everything seemed fine except that my screen graphics were "fuzzy". I fixed the problem by installing the graphic driver at the bottom of the list. A driver that was NOT check marked. This lead me to assume that I was supposed to install all the drivers on the list regardless of the check marks....

OK well hopefully I have explained enough to get my point across. I basically just need a way to know for sure which drivers to reinstall. thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell "my system" list in driver CD ????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell "my system" list in driver CD ????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have you looked at Device Manager?
by wpgwpg / December 29, 2012 2:47 AM PST

The list of devices your BIOS detected will be shown in Device Manager. I believe those Dell resource discs have drivers for all the possible options your particular model can have, so I wouldn't think you'd need or want to install ALL of them. If a device shows up in Device Manager however, you need a driver for it. Anything listed there with ! or ? next to it has a driver problem.

Good luck.

Collapse -
thanks
by jboyneedhelp / December 29, 2012 5:38 AM PST

Thanks. I tried simply installing each one and so far so good. Still not sure if this was the correct way to go about it but it seems to have worked. thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.