Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Dell Mini 9

by woodfern / December 2, 2008 11:26 AM PST

Does anyone know if I can use a Dell Mini 9 with a local dial up ISP?

I don't have, nor will have any other option.

I want it for a backup to my Dell 4600.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Mini 9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Mini 9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2008 11:32 AM PST
In reply to: Dell Mini 9

1. Bluetooth dial up modem (would require work.)
2. Wifi dial up modem such as the WiFlyer.

Item 2 is likely to work fine.

Collapse -
mini
by woodfern / December 2, 2008 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Two ideas.

Neither of those are an option for me, as I said.

Collapse -
(NT) So why isn't using a dialup modem an option?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2008 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: mini
Collapse -
(NT) How about a USB modem?
by Coryphaeus / December 2, 2008 10:37 PM PST
Collapse -
These netbooks are giving pain to USB modems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2008 10:45 PM PST
In reply to: How about a USB modem?

The WiFlyer is a rather neat solution since the netbooks (all) I've seen have wifi. So wifi to the wiflyer to the dialup.

Bob

Collapse -
Options
by woodfern / December 2, 2008 11:47 PM PST

Thank you all for the suggestions.
I guess this is part of my problem....I don't understand any of the other options.
For 11 years I've just been plugged into my phoneline using a local ISP.
Rural area, so I don't think wifi is a option right?
Woods, so no clear view to Southeast horizon for satellite, right?
Would a external USB modem run the Dell Mini 9?
Or should I forget the Mini and move up to another with internal modem?

Collapse -
Found one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2008 1:52 AM PST
Collapse -
?
by woodfern / December 3, 2008 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: Found one.

I'm sorry to be so dense but how does this answer my questions?

If I get the external USB modem, it comes with a cd to install it. Plus the external dvd writer that is offered with the Mini 9 build, to use the cd in, of course.

So what is this link? I went and looked at it. Would I need it also?

Collapse -
The link is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: ?

The result of searching for a compatible USB modem. Some will not accept my answers without links to such things. In your case it only served to confuse you.
Bob

Collapse -
Modem
by woodfern / December 4, 2008 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: The link is...

You're right:)
That's not a link to a compatible modem is it? Isn't it a link to a driver to download to make the USB modem work?
Wouldn't the USB modem ordered come with the cd to install?
I guess this does mean that the Mini 9 would work on a USB modem.
I tried it once already on Mini with Ubuntu and the red tape was too complicated for me to even get the modem installed.
So I'm going to start over with a XP Mini this time.

Collapse -
"Conexant D400 External USB 56k Modem "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Modem

To me that was all I needed. I needed to find the drivers for the USB modem for that mini. Once I have the drivers I can search for the product.

You seemed to be dismissive of the first too solutions so I offered a third. Maybe you need to call Dell and have a chat.
Bob

Collapse -
I have woodfern's same problem
by technorat / December 9, 2008 7:28 AM PST

I want to get a netbook that I will use with wireless at cafes and such but at home have only dialup (same as woodfern--rural area, satellite no good because of trees, only other options very costly). Apparently no netbooks come with built-in modem. Like woodfern I do not understand the option 2 offered above--I thought to use wifi you had to have broadband to begin with. Whatever, the wiflyer costs $150--egads that's half the cost of the netbook! Nor do I understand the bluetooth option; for starters I assume that your netbook has to come with bluetooth. Seems the simple solution is a USB modem--just google them or check newegg.com or buy.com--can get them as cheap as $16. just a tiny box with usb plug on one end and phone jack on other end, software to run it provided also. They don't have the greatest reviews, but at least an option. I'm not a techie by any means but I plan to connect my laptop at times to my dell desktop, making my own little network--netbooks do have Rj45 LAN connectors, so this is easy with the proper cable (woodfern if I can figure this out, you can). Another thing I plan to do is I ordered for $10 on sale what's called a KVM switch with cables that let's you use the desktop's keyboard and monitor with another computer/laptop/netbook. In other words you can switch between the desktop and netbook at home when you want the comfort of the larger keyboard and screen but need the innards of the netbook. So I'm ready to go except I haven't bought a netbook yet--am holding out for a 10" with XP for under $300--almost doable in the right sale with the right coupons and rebates I hope. Woodfern let us know if you get the USB modem option.

Collapse -
wifi VS mobile broadband Internet Access
by ibmz9 / January 25, 2009 5:03 AM PST

Okay, first off I think that you need to understand the difference between WiFi and mobile broadband Internet Access. Mobile broadband Internet access is something that you purchase from your mobile phone provider like Verizon wireless, Sprint wireless, or AT&T wireless, etc. These wireless providers offer wireless support for voice and data. Meaning that you can purchase wireless voice minutes and wireless data blocks. To access these networks from your computer you need to purchase a wireless broadband card or phone tethered specifically for their cellular/G3 networks. These networks can be accessed from anywhere that the provider offers their digital and G3 networks. Most of the time this means metropolitan areas, but I have used mine camping in the woods in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

There are also short range networks called WiFi networks or 802.11 networks. These are the networks that you can access in hotels, airports, coffee shops, or in your very own home. To access these you need a computer that has an internal or external wifi card. Most new desktop computers and all laptops offer internal wifi cards. They are normally represented as wifi 802.11 or wifi A, B, G, or N or some reference to a combination of these. Wireless N is the fastest and offers the greatest distance from the wifi router, it is also backwards compatible with B and G networks. Stay away from A networks, they will just confuse you and serve little purpose for you. In order to form a wifi network you need a wireless router and at least one computer that can connect to this network. In order to connect your wifi network to the Internet, you need to connect the router to a modem that connects to your Internet connection. There are dial-up modems that you can connect to a wifi router, you just need to find them.

Obviously the best option would be to connect your wifi router to a broadband modem such as DSL, Cable, or FiOS. There is also Satellite and even some Electric companies are offering high speed Internet through their power lines. You need to check out all of your options. And just because it wasn't available 3 months ago, doesn't mean that it isn't available now. You just need to keep on asking your utility companies.

I was surprised to find that my father-in-law has broadband Internet access on his farm. He gets it through his phone company. But just got it this past Christmas. It isn't as fast as my FiOS connection, but then again, his connection is totally faster than anything he could get through dial-up. I hope that this helps you understand some differences.

As for the Netbook try the Lenovo IdeaPad S10...It is a 10.2" WinXP netbook that has a 80 gig hard drive, 512 MB of RAM, a one year limited warranty, and an internal B/G wifi card. It is the perfect little netbook all for under $350 from lenovo.com. Or if you live near a Circuit City store, they are going out of business and I know for a fact that they have these on sale for 15% off. Still not less than $300, but pretty close. And you can always negotiate for a lower price.

I hope that all of this helps.

Collapse -
3G & EDGE Tethering
by WessyD / April 13, 2009 10:55 PM PDT

Hi,y
What service provider and/or phone will let you tether it to your laptop and utilize the 3G speed?.. i've got an HTC Wing, & a HTC G1 Both with T-Mobile... Now the Wing is easy as pie to tether to my lappy and use its data package for browsing and what not, only draw back is that its top speed is EDGE (about 4-5x dialup)... Now my G1 can browse around (by itself, untehered) @ 3G speeds... I was hopen I could just tether my G1 to my Lappy like my Wing.. Are they planning on allowng that in the future.. Or should i change providers, and phones to get a tethered 3G feature/option. I really want that (as u can probably tell. Will be a great add-on to my carputer).

Appreciate your time,
-WessyD
TheMan5643@aol.com

Collapse -
Check the specs on the mini9
by ghettovision / February 5, 2009 2:23 PM PST

you have AT&T built-in cellular mobile broadband (HSPA 7.2 on the minin which can be used. Otherwise by a external usb dialup modem and a usb flash drive ($10). Copy the drivers for the modem onto the usb flash drive using your other computer and then you can intall the external dialup modem on the mini. Also you can you the internt cafe connnect to the internet and then install the usb external modem and let install wizard find the drivers on the internet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.