Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Mini 10 Mac OS X to Windows 7?

by scoutnhunt / February 3, 2013 1:54 PM PST

I bought a Dell Mini 10 Netbook with the Intel Atom Z530 / 1.6 GHz CPU, 1.0GB RAM, 160.0 GB / 5400.0 rpm hard drive, and came originally loaded with Windows XP Home Edition. When I bought it, had Mac OS X Snow Leopard already loaded and running fine. Inadvertently hit the wrong button on a pop up update and the Mac OS X Snow Leopard was wiped out?

Black screen now with what appears to be an error-type message I've described here:

When powered up, now it only gives a "You need to restart your computer.
Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power
button again" message on a light grey screen with lost of codes in the
left margin.
When restarted, same page/info appears.
The top line on the page reads:

panic(cpu 0x2acc8a): "Version mis-match between Kernel (23) and CPU PM
(17) " @/SourceCache/snu/snu-1504.15.3/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:771
Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x1c123c08 : 0x21b837 (0x5dd7fc 0x1c123bec 0x223ce1 0x0)
and then continues down the left margin in the same type codes as listed above.

I'd like to load Windows 7 operating system and be done with it - need the Mini 10 for college classes and I'm not a tech guy who cares to tinker with fine tuning the operating system if I don't have to.

I don't have the original Windows XP disc or the Mac OS Snow Leopard disc, so looks like I'm starting over here.

Recently purchased an external CD/DVD drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Mini 10 Mac OS X to Windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Mini 10 Mac OS X to Windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be a standard install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 11:23 PM PST

I don't see anything different here. You might have to clean off the drive with DBAN (see google) but then you install Windows, then drivers and any "helper" apps the maker tells you to.

Nothing looks different to me than a standard install.

Given the costs of restore media versus Windows and the extra work, I'm surprised you didn't go with the maker's restore media.
Bob

Collapse -
Maker's Restore Media
by scoutnhunt / February 4, 2013 2:18 AM PST

How do I access the maker's restore media? I'm a beginner/never performed operating system install before ....... will try Googling the subject and see what comes up.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Usually you pay for the discs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: Maker's Restore Media

Some have them at a download site, most have you order them. Here I pay on average 35 bucks. A license to Windows 7, any version is usually more than 100. Then you get to install the OS, then drivers just like all those other folk have written about.

The restore media from the maker might be cheaper, even if you have to do the "AnyTime" upgrade to a better version.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.