Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Latitude D610 Audio Driver Missing in Windows 7

by DComander1 / February 27, 2009 6:51 AM PST

hi, my friend has a Dell Latitude D610, and he installed windows 7 on, he says his audio driver is missing, even though he installed several different sound drivers, but no such luck. He needs the laptop by tonight, since its his only dell, and he loves them. Please help, if there is a way to install it, please reply, if not, then, i guess my friends out of luck yet again.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Latitude D610 Audio Driver Missing in Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Latitude D610 Audio Driver Missing in Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dell D610 Sound Driver for Windows 7
by nf14jk / April 25, 2009 3:25 PM PDT

I installed the sound driver for Vista, on my Dell D610, and it seems to be working just fine.

Collapse -
Where did you find the Vista driver for the D610?
by gkhairallah--2008 / May 6, 2009 11:31 AM PDT

I'm curious as to which exact sound card you have in your D610? perhaps you have the Sound Blaster card? I have the Sigmatel C-Major Audio. did you manage to get drivers for that in Vista? and if so, would you be so kind to share?

Thanks!

Collapse -
RE: Where did you find the Vista driver for the D610?
by DComander1 / May 6, 2009 12:59 PM PDT

Idk, my friend found it on his own, and he has the sigmatel audio card, and he said he used a driver from another dell model that ran vista to get it to work, but now he has Hackintosh OS X Leopard on it, and he likes it, so that ends his audio driver search.

Collapse -
XP Drivers work well

For those who care, I found the solution. Apparently, the XP drivers from Dell's website for the Latitude D610 work just fine.

The video drivers on the other hand, I haven't found anything specific to the Radeon Mobibility X300. It has the generic VGA drivers, and it has decent performance with those, surprisingly. Of course, no Aero or anything, but I don't think that the D610 would've been able to get Aero even with the ATI drivers. so it's all good Happy

Collapse -
In addition
by SaintJID / September 19, 2009 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: XP Drivers work well

I was running the evaluation build on a laptop of the same model, and it worked well. I recently upgraded to the full, professional version (acquired through the Computer Science Department at my school), and ran into this issue. I'm not sure if it's true all around, but I had to run the driver installer in XP compatibility mode.

Collapse -
audio driver
by ranasz / February 14, 2012 11:42 PM PST

i want download D610 audio driver

Collapse -
problem with sound drivers
by nana aboagye / September 23, 2009 4:45 AM PDT

dell laptop latitude d610, windows7,sound drivers not working at all

Collapse -
I had similar probelem.
by rdtelman / November 21, 2009 6:27 AM PST

The problem I had was that Microsoft Update downloaded the driver that seemed to work ok, but the headset jack didn't work and there was no way to activate it. I trashed that driver, downloaded driver R99254.exe from Dell Support site, the XP driver for the soundcard. Then activated and installed it using the run as an administrator choice in the drop down list. This activated all features of the sound card, speakers, headset jack, microphone jack. This file will also work for Vista loads too. On the D610, the only thing that DOES NOT work is AERO, this is because the video drivers won't support it. There are no supported video drivers beyond Windows XP. Dell doesn't support an OS beyond XP for the D610. The Aero not working kills video editing and dvd burning though. Otherwise it will run like a champ on Vista and Windows 7.

Collapse -
Audio Driver for Dell D610 Latttitude Laptop for Windows 7
by jeepautx / November 30, 2009 12:06 AM PST

Dell doesn't officially support Vista or Windows 7 on this laptop. They provide a link to purchase a latptop that does. I upgraded to Windows 7 anyway. It found drivers for everything except the audio. I followed the tip from CNET and installed Dell driver R99254. I received an error during the installation, but my sound started working. I'm happy with Windows 7. Thanks CNET.

Collapse -
Win7 installation for DELL D610
by animeshtripathi / August 29, 2010 12:53 AM PDT

Can anyone please tell me that can i install windows7 to my dell latitude D610.
If yes then how?

Collapse -
Ref: Problem of Sound card and vga on Windows 7
by njaule / May 23, 2011 6:43 PM PDT

Hi!! Guy i hve a Dell latitude D610, i hve install Windows 7 on that machine bt after the installatiion complited bt the sound card and vga drivers are missing on windows 7. how could i do to get that drivers. pls help me that problem

Regards,
Njaule.

Collapse -
Re: sound card and VGA
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 23, 2011 7:48 PM PDT

For the sound card driver, see the post by jeepautx 2 posts above yours. He doesn't mention the video driver however, but your best bet is to get it from the Dell site also. Try the Vista driver if there's no Windows 7 driver.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks a lot..
by abdusazad1 / April 22, 2010 2:07 PM PDT

Thanks a lot.. you are life saver.

Collapse -
gracias esto funciona thank you it work
by ferinfame / October 9, 2010 11:31 AM PDT

thankx

Collapse -
A postscript to my original posting
by rdtelman / December 23, 2010 2:01 PM PST

As was mentioned by a susbsequent poster, Dell doesnt officially support the D610 beyond the Windows XP operating system. The unit will run Vista and Windows 7 with limitations such as no Aero or DVD writing. The problem with video is that the Intel video chip doesnt support OS beyond XP. This chip is built into the Motherboard, so it's permanently attached and not replaceable.
Also I did mention in my original posting- download and run the installation for the AC97 driver with the administrator login. If you are unfamiliar with that procedure do a HELP search or web search for the procedure. It's simple, and allows you to do it with a higher priority than your regular login. With a little luck maybe your adminstrative login will allow you to load it, that is if someone didnt set it to prevent logins.

Collapse -
pci comunnication driver
by khs14 / August 1, 2011 10:55 AM PDT
please tell me how to install pci communication and video cntrl device in my d610 for win 7...
Collapse -
The way I do this is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2011 5:39 AM PDT

I go to dell.com and click on support, type in my SERVICE TAG and then see if there are drivers for those items.
Bob

Collapse -
Sound drivers
by srikanth1989 / November 19, 2010 1:45 PM PST

is there any way that i can install sound drivers in windows 7?please help...

Collapse -
try xp drivers
by kdspwnstehnoobs / February 15, 2010 2:05 AM PST

try the winxp drivers, they worked fine for me. you can also try windows update. i have a d610 running win7ultimate 32 bit. everything runs fine including aero.

Collapse -
This is the one
by jadbo / February 22, 2010 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: try xp drivers

Dell driver R99254 works just fine.

Collapse -
D610 Audio for Win 7
by MilTech / February 25, 2010 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: This is the one

Found that I had to load the Sigma Tel C Major AC97 from Dell using the XP Compatability mode. Works well and Windows 7 Rocks!

Collapse -
(NT) I have no sound on my computer/dell/latitude/d610/ help!
by Michael Anderson 1 / April 15, 2010 2:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
lattitude d610 audio driver missing win 7
by eyemfeduptwo / July 12, 2010 2:52 AM PDT

i had the same problem and had no luck with vista 64 drivers
so i went to majorgeeks.com and downloaded ac97 drivers 95-97 cant remember but its the same one as came with my board if you have a different audio setup you can still probably find them there
its a good place for free software never got a virus from them in 5 years

Collapse -
my laptop is missing a video card driver
by Tom_q2356 / January 9, 2011 9:44 AM PST

Dell driver R99254 from Dell support website is the right one for my latitude D610 Win 7. However, my laptop is missing a video card driver and I have already tried out those only three drivers from Dell website one by one with no luck. Could someone please send me (Tom_q2356@yahoo.com) a working video card driver for my latitude D610 Windows 7? Thank you very very much!!!

Collapse -
Possible Audio Solution for Dell Latitude D610 running Win 7
by 2tall1small / July 21, 2011 1:29 PM PDT

Hi
I installed Win 7 on my Dell Latitude D610. It located all the drivers except for audio. Well, I discovered a solution that may work for many of you. Follow this path: Local Disk(C:)/Dell/Drivers/R99254/setup (the setup that's an application - double-click on it) This is the install that XP does automatically but Win 7 fails to do. I hope this helps!

Collapse -
easy fix
by eug77833 / September 1, 2011 1:13 PM PDT

download dell R99254 to desktop--run as administrator. DO NOT replace the existing file when you unzip it! ad another digit to the suggested location name, then unzip it. You will have sound in 60 seconds

Collapse -
d610 audio driver
by jariluyin919 / October 29, 2011 11:32 AM PDT

need diver for d610 for window 7

Collapse -
Its allways a problem with
by orlbuckeye / February 15, 2012 9:32 PM PST

the laptop makers as they don't worry about supporting old hardware when MS releases a new OS. They concentrate on the present and the future and thats leaves the customer on their own. People that have the biggest problems are the one that bought a laptop with XP and are trying to install Windows 7, which is 2 generations down the line. Most can get it to work but tend to see little glitches here and there.

Collapse -
The answer is simple on this.....
by rdtelman / September 8, 2012 12:46 AM PDT

I hit the issue of the sound driver when upgrading from Xp to Vista a few years ago. You have to use the XP driver for the sound driver, the one on the XP driver disc from Dell or download from Dell.com. The trick to it is to install the driver when using the administrator login with your laptop.When opening the driver file, Right click your mouse, click Properties, and click login in as administrator. Load the driver and it will work like a charm. The issue of video, as mentioned somewhere else in this thread is an unfortunate one, being that Intel chose not to upgrade its support to anything beyond XP, for the Video drivers. Your laptop will work OK with the XP driver on video too, but the Aero feature and ability to write video to a DVD-rw drive will be rejected when tried. You can still burn an ISO file to a DVD, but you cant burn videos to DVD's in Windows Media Player, a minor clitch. . The DVD-rw will still play a DVD though and record everything else, but no video disks. On intital restart, you resolution on the video will lokk weird, but you can reset your screen resolution and use you laptop like before....who needs Aero anyway! There may be a third party way around this, but Windows Vista and 7, which are kissing cousins, balks at the video thing..
Also if you're upgrading from Vista to 7, the upgrade should just load the drivers from Vista and use them OK.

Collapse -
RE the video
by rdtelman / September 8, 2012 1:01 AM PDT

These D610 laps tops and the D630 are some of the most prolithic laptops produced it the last 10 years by Dell, by the thousands. They produced them with a multitude of chips and hardware. If you check their auction site today, they are probably still selling them as refurbished units. They contain so many different Motherboards, you really have to match the individual units up one by one to get the correct drivers. Fortunately you can go to Dell support, enter the service tag number and get a printout of the units original configuration and hardware installed for the most part. Anyone who had Dell on site support can attest to the swaps and changes individual units could have had done to them when serviced over the years. My daughter's D-630 had virtually the entire unit replaced piece part by piece parts over the four years she was in college. The drivers you need to get depends on the individual unit configurations, which is infinitismal. Happy hunting!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.