Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Latitude C400 Battery Charge Indicator light

by Bootnrally / October 17, 2008 3:59 AM PDT

Howdy all,
Daughter just brought her Latitude C400 home from school fussing about the battery. Basically, when the computer is off and the adapter plugged in, the indicator light blinks orange...the Dell signal for low battery. The computer will not power up on battery alone, and the little button on the battery pack shows LED 2&4. I am assuming that she has killed her battery.

Any thoughts? Experience? Suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Latitude C400 Battery Charge Indicator light
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Latitude C400 Battery Charge Indicator light
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh, yeah
by Bootnrally / October 17, 2008 4:01 AM PDT

Sorry, but I forgot to say that even with the blinking orange light, the computer works fine with the AC adapter plugged in.

Collapse -
How old is that battery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2008 4:30 AM PDT

If we read the Dell "spec" I see 300 cycles or about a year of use. Could be just another old battery.

Collapse -
Quick Suggestion
by arizonaCHAMPS / November 12, 2008 6:36 AM PST

Hello. My son went throught the same thing last month. We were back and fourth with the support team at Dell, and they eventually determined it was the battery. They of course tryed having us buy one from them, but we declined to look at some other options first.

Long story short, we bought a Denaq name battery off of one of the online auction sites. My son actually printed out a couple of Denaq review forums first before we made the final decision. Major selling point for me was that it had a 1 year warranty in case it goes bad. A lot of ther places didn't. And we saved $90 as well :o)

I hope your daughter gets everything fixed. Take care!

Collapse -
by Bootnrally / December 20, 2008 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Quick Suggestion

Okay, so I went with my hunch, and it was the battery. After doing this, there was so little space on the 6g HDD, that I ended up replacing that too. Since the C400 has no drives, had to go Ebaying to find an external drive and bay, as well as a wireless card. Now, I have this really nice, compact 20g wireless wordpad that doew internet!

Pretty cool.

Collapse -
How long has your c400 battery been used?
by LawrenceLuo / September 25, 2009 2:48 PM PDT

How long has your c400 battery been used?
The deadline of laptop battery is used to be one year.
Generally speaking, the capacity of our laptop battery will drop to 60-75 percents after 1-2 years
I think you can order one Dell Latitude C400 battery replacement.
If needed , I can suggest one website to you:
Shipping all over the world.
I have bought one mini 9 battery from that website, The battery is being used so far so good
Hope this information could help and good luck with your DELL c400.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.