Dell forum

General discussion

Dell LaserPrinter 1700 Paper Feed Problem

by dougjp / March 20, 2009 12:05 PM PDT

Its beyond warranty however still on its first toner (little used). The paper seldom feeds, mostly jams. After 4-5 tries maybe I can get one page through. No idea from the manual how and where to clean in order to try to fix this. Is there a site or url - anything anywhere that can give me some tips to try? Obviously throwing away a (partially) working little used laser due to lack of troubleshooting instructions isn't what I want to do. Nor should this kind of thing need returning the product and a big fee.

Thanks for creating up this forum.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell LaserPrinter 1700 Paper Feed Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell LaserPrinter 1700 Paper Feed Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re:paper jam
by Dell-Jesse Dell staff / March 26, 2009 4:53 AM PDT

Here are some things to check and adjust to help keep paper from jamming.
Determine the Paper Specifications That Were Used
Fan the Paper
Adjust the Paper Guides to the Correct Position
Set the Paper Source, Size and Type
Try a Ream of Plain Copy Paper

Do you get a paper jam error?

Collapse -
Dell Laser 1700
by dougjp / March 26, 2009 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: re:paper jam

Hi. First of all its delightful to get a reply here from Dell. Unfortunately I think the printer is mechanically defective and I'm out of luck I guess.

I've tried your suggestions many times. About 4 different kinds of paper and HP Copy and Print paper seems to have the best chance of getting through (its a bit lighter and seemingly without 'static' between pages). I've tried many different paper guide positions. Usually I get a load remove paper error. Occasionally I get a paper jam error when it half heartedly starts to feed the paper then stops. i'm going to try reloading the driver etc. but unless there is some mechanical checks or adjustments I can do, its cash down the drain for me.

Collapse -
dougip
by PudgyOne / March 26, 2009 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell Laser 1700

Try reading this post and see if this is almost the same issue you have. llynster is very good with instructions on Dell laser printers.

Rick

Collapse -
Thanks.....but
by dougjp / March 26, 2009 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: dougip

Many thanks as it gave me something to go on. Yes that thread went into detail about what and how the paper feeds and that was most likely the problem area for me. One of the instructions was to move the retaining clips for 2 plastic wheels that are the devices which grab the paper to feed it. So the plastic retaining clips cracked off when trying to move them to remove the wheels for cleaning, and now this laser printer which hasn't even seen its first replacement toner yet, will instead be helping to create an artificial ski mountain at some landfill site!!!

Impressed by this product? Uh, NO.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.