Laptops forum

Dell laptop won't turn on

by nchowdhury07 / May 28, 2011 2:18 PM PDT

I have a Dell Studio 1536 laptop. Almost 2 years old. It has always
worked perfectly fine. I was using it earlier then put it in sleep mode.
i came back 30 minutes later and tried to turn it on but it won't
start. the power light turns on but the screen remains black as if there
is no power. i also can't hear the harddrive whirring or booting up. I
tried the trick where you reset the laptop and put power back in, but
that won't work. I then went inside the laptop, reseated the memory and
harddrive, but no luck still. same problem persists. i have a temperature reader on my laptop and the last time i used it nothing was alarming; it definitely had no temperatures to suggest it was overheating.
any help would be really really really appreciated. i am a college student and need my laptop badly.

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell laptop won't turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell laptop won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Battery life
by Willy / May 28, 2011 11:02 PM PDT

Since, you mentioned you used this laptop for 2yrs. that's more than 18mos.. The issue is that batteries don't last forever and as they age and remain connected to the AC outlet that causes the charging ckt. to do overtime duty. The result besides a weak battery the charging ckt. may finally die to over-use or heat stress. That also includes the AC adapter besides any int. charging connecting port. if you can swap out battery first. if access, use another charging AC adapter. Beware, some AC chargers can have broken wires, which in some cases seems to make the AC adapter work or recharge if moved into some position.

All Answers

Collapse -
Dell laptop won't turn on
by Jery_Lal / June 1, 2011 6:24 AM PDT

Sorry for the late response....We can try resolving this issue by updating the BIOS of the laptop and also update the Video driver and if its possible then check the power settings as well.

Collapse -
Dell laptop wont turn on
by nchowdhury07 / June 3, 2011 3:10 AM PDT

I took the HDD out and tried to boot through a CD but no luck- this would mean it isn't an HDD issue, correct?

Collapse -
(NT) Are you saying the unit does power up without this HDD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 3:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
by nchowdhury07 / June 3, 2011 9:03 AM PDT

No, it still doesn't power up without the HDD. I tried using a boot up CD without the HDD in but it didn't work, and now the CD won't eject though that is a minor issue. I'm guessing this means that the motherboard or some other hardware isn't working?

Collapse -
That helps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

Just in case, always try the remove AC, battery and hold the power button 60 seconds reset at each step to see if it comes back.

Think of anything you can remove. RAM, CD drive, etc.

I see this unit does not have one of dell's optional laptop video card so that's not there. There's usually not much to replace once we go so far so you swap the motherboard.

Collapse -
Tried the reset
by nchowdhury07 / June 3, 2011 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: That helps.

I tried resetting while removing the AC and battery, but didnt work either. Tried it a few times. Most people have also told me that its a motherboard issue.
My next step will be to try removing RAM, etc. So I should remove those like one by one and trying starting up the laptop to see if I can determine the problem that way?
Also, if the motherboard does have to be replaced, is that something i would be able to do myself? i'm pretty good with computers and safety though i have never had to replace anything before. I just want to avoid all costs if possible like sending it in to a shop to get fixed.

Thanks so much

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried the reset

Sorry but I guess I was unclear. That's after removing AC then battery (in that order!)

As to the RAM, when I see it reach the no power up stage I know to remove anything optional such as wifi , ram, cd/dvd, hdd, etc in hopes that it's a short in something that is replaceable.

Collapse -
inspiron1545 wont start up....
by gsxrjonny / January 7, 2013 3:29 AM PST

Hi my ddll 1545 starts ...but then goes to windows repair..but then doeznt repair and thrns off?!...or it just goes to a blank screen aftr it says windows staring...but normally goes fo ..launch windows repair and thats!?!

Collapse -
This does not sound like the symptom above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 5:09 AM PST

But this is an old post I'll answer and lock this old discussion.

Try the usual heatsink cleaning and replace the heat sink compound.

Start a new discussion if you need more details.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.