Computer Help forum

Question

Dell Laptop Problems

by EvanGSinclair / February 11, 2013 11:16 AM PST

So I've been having quite a few problems with my laptop for a couple of months now and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Here are the specs:

Dell Studio 1558 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU Q 820 @ 1.73GHz
Ram: 6GB
Display Driver: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

My biggest problem is that the display crashes a lot (once every other day if I'm lucky.) I get that message in the bottom right corner saying it has crashed and restarted. Sometimes it will just crash and I have to restart my laptop with the power button.

Earlier today I had a problem where I was watching a youtube video, and then all of a sudden green and pink squares popped up all over my screen. When I restarted, there were 5 columns of different colored pixels, all with similar patterns (if I can figure out how to add a picture I will). I've already tried updating and reinstalling almost every driver but nothing seems to fix it.

Other problems include none of the Microsoft updates working, the fan is constantly spinning fast and is loud, even with one of those fan cooling fans underneath it, and finally the battery dies in about an hour of being unplugged, even with all the settings set to extend battery life.

Now obviously my ideal solution will be to buy a new laptop (definitely not from Dell), but I was wondering if anyone could help to fix at least some of these problems so I can make it through the school year without this thing completely falling apart (or exploding) on me. Thanks a lot.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Laptop Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Laptop Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Columns
by EvanGSinclair / February 11, 2013 11:21 AM PST
In reply to: Dell Laptop Problems

Sorry for the double post. Here is the picture of the columns I was talking about. They popped up immediately after I restarted my computer because of the green and pink squares popping up. This picture was taken when my computer was searching for a restore point in Safe Mode. I could just barely read the restore point directions but I was still able to restore to an early time which has temporarily fixed the column problem.
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://tinypic.com/r/330r8kn/6

Collapse -
About that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Columns

Seen that when folk accept drivers from Microsoft. Don't accept driver updates from Microsoft. Please don't.

Collapse -
Drivers from Microsoft
by EvanGSinclair / February 12, 2013 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: About that.

I'm not sure what you mean by don't accept driver updates from Microsoft? I updated all my drivers through Dell's website.

Collapse -
It was a warning.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: Drivers from Microsoft

And if you get a failure by using Dell's drivers, you talk to Dell.

But how about this. Does it work if you don't update?

Collapse -
computer issues
by charlesDean / February 13, 2013 1:02 PM PST
In reply to: About that.

Hello R.Ptoffitt,

Ya you are right, when folk accept drivers from Microsoft. Don't accept driver updates from Microsoft and ther are lot of post about this.

Collapse -
If you have been using ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 12, 2013 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: Columns

the Dell supplied drivers and not Microsoft's offerings I have also seen that type of screen when the screen resolution exceeds the physical capacity of the screen. See what happens if you boot into SAFE MODE.

If you can get a working VGA screen in safe mode try installing a fresh set of Dell's graphics drivers as corrupt drivers can also cause such a display.

Collapse -
Screen
by EvanGSinclair / February 13, 2013 2:14 AM PST

I would like to point out that the columns of pixels isn't a permanent problem right now. When I turn off my computer for a little bit and reboot the problem goes away for a little while. The last time it happened I was changing the resolution from higher quality to lower quality (because when I moved the mouse it felt like it was dragging/delaying slightly) and as soon as it changed a couple pink and green pixels popped up on the screen, eventually leading to the columns. Dell told me to run a hardware test at the boot screen and the first time I did, the pixels popped up during the test and my computer started making strange beeping noises and then completely locked up with literally a mess of different colors. Of course, I ran it a second time a little while later and it passed without a problem.

And about the updates... I currently have around 40 "important" updates that won't download. After it downloads them and reboots to configure them, it gets stuck at 15% almost every time. I've already reinstalled the video driver and updated it and the problems still persist.

Collapse -
Answer
You write "YouTube"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Dell Laptop Problems

Do this on google -> "Disable FLASH hardware acceleration."

That's a very high end laptop. Tell me about your monthly or every other month cleaning with the canned air on the vents. Some folk think these are no maintenance bricks but you have a high end laptop so it will take some care to carry on.
Bob

Collapse -
Cleaning
by EvanGSinclair / February 12, 2013 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: You write "YouTube"

I've never used canned air on the vents, I know that you're suppose to but I didn't think that it could cause such problems. I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.