Dell forum

General discussion

Dell Laptop Crashes within 1-4 hours

by krisrao / August 20, 2009 9:55 AM PDT

i. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that unexpectedly shuts down after an hour or more
ii. The machine worked fine for about a year and now for the last couple of months I have had the unexpected shut down problem
iii. I have re-imaged the machine multiple times (after repartitioning to eliminate boot sector viruses) , each time loading the latest drivers in the recommended sequence to no avail. I initially used my own Vista Ultimate but have now gone back to the OEM's Vista Home Basic OS. After the last re-image I only loaded the most important few drivers from the Dell Support, an AV program (AVG), Firefox and updated the OS - still crashing.
iv. No new hardware installed. Have not done a BIOS update.
v. Fan seems to be working harder than it should be. It revs up often just before crashing. Ran Speed Fan and it shows 78-83F or below in both cores, though.
vi. System Specs
i. Inspiron 1525, Intel

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Laptop Crashes within 1-4 hours
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Laptop Crashes within 1-4 hours
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One post deleted, and re-posted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 21, 2009 11:38 PM PDT

I have deleted the post by livesupportagent3. His "numerous" posts contain reference to his own web site, which is a "Pay for service" web site. Site promotion is forbidden in these forums and we are deleting all of his posts that include this site promotion. He is posting under various user names, but all directing members to the same web site.

So that I do not remove any relevant data or responses, I have copied his remarks, (minus the site advertising), and the response to this, below;

==============================================
It may be over heated.
by livesupportagent3 - 21/08/09 09:46 In reply to: Dell Laptop Crashes within 1-4 hours by krisrao

Hey, you pc may be over heated? Have you tried any tool for tracking your CPU temp? I suggest you ask some professional for help. Feel free to visit ************** for getting help.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes-tracked temperature
by krisrao - 21/08/09 12:46 In reply to: It may be over heated. by livesupportagent3

As I mentionned Speed fan shows below 83 F - not sure how good this is but in summer with the ambient temp in high 70s it seems OK. I believe temp is a good line of analysis - the fan sometimes goes crazy just before crashing etc
Post 3 of 3
===============================================

Mark

Collapse -
Found a lawsuit against Dell for poor design
by krisrao / August 22, 2009 6:15 AM PDT

1) There is a wikipedia entry about a class action lawsuit against Dell - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron#Overheating. "In 2003, Dell released several lines of Inspiron notebooks which had cooling problems, causing them to overheat and damage the video card and motherboard, or to shut down automatically. Overheating in Inspiron systems is mainly caused by performance-consuming tasks and software. This problem was determined to be due to the design of the air-flow from the bottom of the system. Affected models include the Dell Inspiron 1100, 1150, 1525, 5100, 5150 and 6400" Dell has acknowledged this problem and designed a new fan with a better heatsink and heatpipes to provide better cooling with less noise. Any repairs made at this point will include the redesigned parts. ?. The fan draws air from underneath the unit and vents it through the rear after passing over the heatsink. However, the unit also sucks up dust from underneath it. Over time a buildup of dust constricts the airflow through the unit, reducing cooling. The airflow is perceptibly diminished. ...To remedy this the unit must be disassembled, the dust removed, and fan operation checked. This problem not uncommonly results in a CPU temperature-increase of between 15-20

Collapse -
About item 1. That cleaning is..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 6:20 AM PDT

For most people something to do once a year. But let's ask this. How many laptop owners were told these laptops needed some yearly maintenance?

Almost all the owners I know treat the laptops as if they were zero maintenance items. In fact, I've heard this too often "I got a laptop because it's less maintenance."
Bob

Collapse -
Solution for the issue
by royz2010 / September 20, 2010 4:39 AM PDT

Hey friends..I also have the same issue and i know that it's quite frustrating.I think i found a solution..

1.Update Your BIOS version, Ethernet driver, WLAN Driver, and video driver from www.dell.com on the basis of your laptop model and Operating system.

2.Remove the dust inside ur laptop..You can follow this link http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1525/en/SM/cpucool.htm#wp1179839

AND IF ABOVE SOLUTIONS ARE NOT SOLVING THE ISSUE..TRY THE THIRD ONE..
3. Buy a cooling Fan(USB cooling Fan)

Collapse -
My Dell XPS 64 Crashes too
by DellUser66 / July 25, 2011 2:42 AM PDT

My Dell began crashing and ironically I began getting solicitations from:
1. Dell DataSafe Local Backup
2. Windows Global
3. Winzip(expired)
Do you find any association between the crash and the solicitations?

Collapse -
"Windows Global"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 7:17 AM PDT

I looked into that to see if there is a MALWARE called Windows Global and there is.

Grif writes about some scans at 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

I'd also want to hear how long since the cleaning was done.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.