Desktops

General discussion

Dell Insprion 2305 help

by eperjesikevin1 / May 17, 2013 3:52 AM PDT

Hello, My Im trying to connect a monitor to my dell. here is how my dell looks like on the back http://www9.pcmag.com/media/images/238724-dell-inspiron-one-2305-io2305-3114msl-back.jpg

as you see i don't have a vga cable or anything to connect so will it be possible to connect another monitor to my computer. Also does my computer have hidden ports, if you look at the picture above, and look at the right side, you will see a picture of a lock and then a little opening what is that and how can i get that open? is that extra ports behind that?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Insprion 2305 help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Insprion 2305 help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: dell
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 4:03 AM PDT

Can you post a link to the user manual? That's much better for describing the ports and connections than a pic.

Kees

Collapse -
by eperjesikevin1 / May 17, 2013 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: dell

I don't have a link to the user manual

Collapse -
Here's a conversation
by itsdigger / May 17, 2013 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: reply
Collapse -
by eperjesikevin1 / May 17, 2013 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's a conversation

my computer doesnt have any hdmi or vga inputs so i dont think that link can help me sorry

Collapse -
it says usb
by itsdigger / May 17, 2013 4:22 AM PDT

not hdmi or vga

Collapse -
Check Dell support website
by Willy / May 17, 2013 4:22 AM PDT

Is there a reason why you can't check the Dell support website for detailed info you're looking for? It will be there and I provide the webpage it leads to:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-one-2305_service%20manual_sr-yu.pdf

You can also use your service tag#, enter it and follow the website for what you need for other items. Isn't this PC an AIO type, isn't your display not working. If so AND WHAT IS FOUND ON MANUAL @WEBSITE, you need to replace the video card in order to get it to work or if you find no ext. video port, that option was part of yet another video setup. basically, does yours have any at all?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by eperjesikevin1 / May 17, 2013 4:30 AM PDT

my computer only has a ac adapter on the port on the back, a few usb ports, Ethernet cable and that is it. no vga or anything like that to be able to add another monitor now where can i add my service tag? look in the first post on that picture that is what my computer has in the back

Collapse -
For this model you have to use USB video cards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 4:48 AM PDT

Nothing spectacular is needed but the performance is only good enough for web surfing, word editing and such. Not for video or gaming.
Bob

Collapse -
by eperjesikevin1 / May 17, 2013 5:02 AM PDT

ok thanks. i so wanted to use another monitor

Collapse -
You can get it to work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 5:20 AM PDT

But from the looks of things you need one of those USB video cards.
Bob

Collapse -
by eperjesikevin1 / May 20, 2013 3:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
by eperjesikevin1 / May 20, 2013 3:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's for a lock.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 3:24 AM PDT

To tie it down to slow down a thief. It has nothing to do with the topic so far.

Odd you ask. Are the sellers and vendors unwilling to show or document what they sell?

Look up Kensingon Laptop cable Lock on amazon for an example.
Bob

Collapse -
Inspiron One 2305 touch does not support an external VGA
by kabila626 / May 21, 2013 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: That's for a lock.

Please don't shoot the messenger, but the Inspiron One 2305 touch does not support an external display. The ports you see are for input only. Dell should have realized, what a blunder!

Collapse -

well i called dell and they told me to buy a vga video card they told me that is the only way so i can connect another monitor. so i got one and my computer DOES detect the vga connect/other monitor i have set it to extend both displays however on my second moinitor it is still showing a black screen. again my computer detects the monitor but it is still showing black on the monitor im trying to connect any help

Collapse -
How odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2013 1:43 PM PDT

I've used USB VIDEO CARDS for years to solve this issue. Wish you were closer so I could demo it.
Bob

Collapse -
by eperjesikevin1 / May 23, 2013 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: How odd.

this can be closed, i ordered a more expensive one and now i can finally connect another monitor

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.