Computer Newbies forum

Dell inspiron n5040

by zulu41 / April 25, 2013 4:27 AM PDT

my Sisters laptop on start up goes directly to repair start up and the option to start windows normally cannot be selected....any sggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell inspiron n5040
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell inspiron n5040
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What happens when you do the repair?
by wpgwpg / April 25, 2013 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell inspiron n5040

Have you done the repair? If not, do so.

All Answers

Collapse -
More details
by Willy / April 25, 2013 1:54 PM PDT

Are we to guess how the laptop got to this point? What is the prior history before the repair display appeared. Any issues before? What are the results is a repair is done? Did you get a display to use a "restore point" feature to get to a prior date before all this happened? Any recent OS updates that it didn't recover from or is this the result? Do you have an actual repair disc handy for that laptop?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Dell inspiron N5040 by zulu41
by zulu41 / April 25, 2013 7:49 PM PDT
In reply to: More details

It happens (not every time) when she switches the laptop on, it then gives you a choice of Repair or Start windows normally but it will not allow you to select Start Windows normally. It times you out and goes into repair mode then asks if you want to restore then it tells you it can't fix it and the Laptop then goes into Start Up and everthing is hunky's very strange. Laptop is 18mths old and yes, it does have a recovery disc. I should also say that I am not a computer whiz!!
But thankyou Willy for your reply

Collapse -
Re: inspiron
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 9:00 PM PDT

If startup repair can't fix it, it's time for a clean re-install from the recovery disc. I assume your sister has a good backup of what she doesn't want to lose? Some recovery discs delete everything on the hard disk. Other recovery discs move personal data to a backup folder. If you don't know what Dell's disc does, it's good to be on the safe side and have your own backup!

Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / April 25, 2013 10:23 PM PDT

Having a "repair disc" will work when the build-in or HD accessed repair mode doesn't get started or is hosed. Often enough this is the result of a corrupted or some virus attack(or similar). I suggest, boot into "safe mode with networking" and have your AV(anti-virus) run a scan. it should be updated with the latest tools, so get that as you access the WWW. if no AV pgm. available, I suggest you use AVAST free version, install it and when it asks to run in "boot scan" mode, do so. Allow it to scan and give it all the time to verify no infection is at work. If you get a clean bill of health from whatever method, then access the "repair mode" and see if it runs now. If not, then find a repair disc for your OS version and boot into its repair process. This is a bootable disc, provided that laptop has been bios set to boot from CD/DVD drive as 1st boot device -OR- select it from the boot menu(display) hitting whatever key does this, maybe F10 or F11, check manual or it displays during initial boot-up. If no repair disc, generate one from any other PC using same OS version, google for instruction on how to do this. Below is a link for win7 instructions:

I exclude any other source of problems for now. What you've described maybe what I stated already. Even, if its not, it generic to recover from your issues. Sometimes a failed OS update where the user too quickly reboots before the update is done or completed(not allowed, seems frozen) or true HD failing or corrupted boot start-up file, etc.. Also, understand the repair disc is NOT a recovery/restore disc where you reload the OS, etc., but the same repair options as found via the display you already seen. It's more flexible and access is on a disc not corrupted provided it was done right.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Dell Inspiron N5040
by zulu41 / April 26, 2013 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Look into...

Thanks guys especially you Willy - very could well be as you suggested that my sister is a bit too quick with her mouse clicking and does not let things run as they should....I always get the "help" cry after the event generally but at least I have a few things to look into.
Will keep you up to date, won't be seeing sis until next Tuesday.
Thanks again all.

Collapse -
Once you have a good backup of the files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 1:28 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.