Computer Help forum

Question

Dell inspiron factory restore boot problems help needed!

by acerts04 / April 21, 2013 11:12 AM PDT

hello everyone, i just joined the forums and this is my first post. my cousin gave me a dell Inspiron computer running windows 7 64bit home preminum. it was loaded with a bunch of stuff so i went ahead and did a factory image restore, everything completed without error and it told me to restart. when i restarted it flashed a BSOD and sent me to startup repair. startup repair could not fix the problem so now i am unable to boot up at all. safe mode/safe mode with networking both do the exact same thing. i cannot boot into windows at all. i dont understand when the computer was running fine just an hour ago. now after a factory restore it wont boot into windows. i just ordered discs from dell to try and boot windows 7 from the cd, other than that i am all out of ideas and any input would be appreciated.

thanks everyone,

alex

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell inspiron factory restore boot problems help needed!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell inspiron factory restore boot problems help needed!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try pressing the F11 key once a second
by glb613 / April 21, 2013 8:39 PM PDT

during startup. If the recovery partition is intact, you may be able to format and reload everything. If F11 doesn't work, check with Dell.com for the correct key.

Collapse -
Answer
Dell inspiron factory restore boot problems help needed!
by DELL-Appu_S Dell staff / April 22, 2013 10:11 PM PDT

Hi Alex,

You may experience a 'Blue Screen' error messages due to several reason. I would suggest you to run the Dell Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select 'Diagnostics' from the boot menu. Please refer to the link here, if any error code shows up.

Since you have already ordered the recovery disc, please refer to the link here on Windows 7 Manual Installation.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Appu S

Collapse -
Answer
Checkout...
by Willy / April 22, 2013 11:48 PM PDT

On top of the already provided advise, make sure no USB devices are attached to laptop during this reload process. That may or may not be a cause but *anything* hanging off the laptop should be disconnected during that install time.

Please explain just ordered discs from Dell, yet you use some CD to boot win7? What was that CD function or labeled as?

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Got it!
by acerts04 / April 24, 2013 6:48 AM PDT

Hey guys, thanks so much for the input. I recieved the operating system cd and drivers cd from dell yesterday. I did a clean install of windows 7and the drivers, and i have the computer running just like new! Thanks again

Collapse -
Cool !
by itsdigger / April 24, 2013 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it!

after you get all of the updates installed and all the printers and everything else you want installed , you should create a set of system image disc's , that way if you mess things up or get stuck somehow you have a good back up on dvd's . Nice tool to use.....Digger

Collapse -
another question
by acerts04 / April 24, 2013 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Cool !

digger, i have a question that kind of relates to what you said about creating image discs. i have all updates installed, antivirus&anti malware etc. i created a system restore point just in case things got hairy in the future. i have been reading about "volume shadow copy" on windows 7 not being enabled and causing problems wiith system restore, but also was told it doesnt make a difference. i checked after the clean install and VSC was not started on my computer, so i started it. if i needed to use system restore say, 6 months from now, and VSC was not enabled, would windows not be able to restore me to my restore point i created? very curious about this. thanks!

Collapse -
from what I read
by itsdigger / April 24, 2013 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: another question
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.