Laptops forum

Dell Inspiron 8200 Hard Drive Compatability

by naran13 / December 22, 2012 5:30 AM PST

What hard drives are compatible with a Dell 8200 Inspiron laptop?

The one I currently have is a Hitachi Travelstar 30GB 4200RPM ATA/IDE

Model: IC25N030ATMR04-0

The processor is a Pentium 4 mobile.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron 8200 Hard Drive Compatability
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron 8200 Hard Drive Compatability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
That's your usual 2.5 inch 9.5mm high laptop drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 5:33 AM PST

I don't seen an OS noted so for DOS and up to Windows ME you want to stick to 64GB and smaller drives.

And without any indication of 48 BIT LBA SUPPORT the max I'd use on this machine is 127GB and smaller.

Good hunting!

Also, how did you solve the P4 overheat crash issue on this one?

Collapse -
by naran13 / December 22, 2012 6:04 AM PST

Windows XP Home Edition (I don't know what service pack).

I took your advice: since the BIOS comes up, the processor should not be an issue (however I'm still thinking of replacing that too).

Collapse -
(NT) XP and without 48 bit LBA you stick w/127GB and smaller.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: OS
Collapse -
by naran13 / December 22, 2012 7:57 AM PST

What's the fastest RPM that will work with this laptop?

Collapse -
No limit on that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: RPM

Just what the limits of material technology from what I see. Just out of curiosity, what makes folk think this is an issue?

Collapse -
PS. When I mention 48 LBA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: No limit on that.

It's so folks can research what it is, what it does, and if their machine has it (I'm not Dell so I can't look at tech specs on your machine but you own it so you would know it well.)

Collapse -
48 LBA
by naran13 / December 23, 2012 1:42 AM PST

I'm checking that out right now. Sounds newer than the 8200, so it probably does not support it.

The Dell was given to me second-hand, no owners manual, but that's online, so I'll check there.

Collapse -
by naran13 / December 23, 2012 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: No limit on that.

Reading around on the Internet, it seems to be an issue of compatibility, like hard drive capacity.

Why this model can't support a larger capacity hard drive, for instance, seems a little weird to me. Several people have mentioned using larger hard drives, but the BIOS or whatever only recognizes part of it, and ignores the rest.

Seems like it might be the same case for RPM. I'm still checking it out.

Collapse -
I guess folk will write such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: RPM

But no, it's not an limitation. You can even fit 10,000 RPM drives if you can find them. And solid state drives? What RPM are those?

You can safely get a nice 7200RPM.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.