Dell forum

Resolved Question

Dell Inspiron 531 CMOS Battery Failed Error

by SsnL / December 4, 2012 10:35 PM PST

I've replaced the CMOS battery on my Dell Inspiron 531 and the system date and time now show as correct, however on boot up it still goes to the error screen with 'CMOS battery failed' message and request to click F1 to boot or F2 for system set-up. In the manual for the 531 it tells you to go to the 'Maintenance Section' in the system setup and clear the errors in the 'Event Log'. There is no 'Maintenence Section' and hence no 'Event Log'. Any ideas on how I access and clear the errors so my machine boots up cleanly?

SsnL has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron 531 CMOS Battery Failed Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron 531 CMOS Battery Failed Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by SsnL

Collapse -
Try re-seating the CMOS battery
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / December 5, 2012 7:29 PM PST

Hi,

You can try to load BIOS defaults and press F10 key to 'Save and Exit'. Once done, change the settings.

Here is the video and the Owner's Manual for your reference.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Re: Dell Inspiron 531 CMOS Battery Failed Error
by SsnL / December 5, 2012 9:54 PM PST

Hi Manpreet

Thanks, did as you suggested and unfortunately it didn't work. Still coming up with 'CMOS battery failed' message and request to click F1 to boot or F2 for system set-up. I checked the manual you sent me just in case it had anything different from the one I have but it's just the same. It says to go to the Maintenance Section in the system setup and clear the errors in the Event Log but there's is no Maintenence Section or Event Log. Back to the drawing board...thanks anyway.

Regards
Susan

Collapse -
Try to reset the CMOS jumpers
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / December 5, 2012 10:54 PM PST

Thank you for the response.
Apologies for the error in Owner's Manual.

Follow these steps to reset the CMOS jumpers:
Note: The computer must be disconnected from the electrical outlet to clear the CMOS settings. Disconnect any attached peripherals (keyboard, mouse, printer, Ethernet cable, USB flash drives and the power cord). Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.

1. Remove the computer cover.
2. Locate the 3-pin CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) on the system board as shown in the image.
3. Remove the jumper plug from the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 2 and 3.
4. Place the jumper plug on the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 1 and 2, and then wait approximately 5 seconds.
5. Remove the jumper plug and replace it on the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 2 and 3.
6. Ensure that the battery connector contacts are not corroded or dirty.
6. Replace the computer cover.Connect the computer and devices to electrical outlets (To connect a Ethernet cable, first plug the cable into the network device and then plug it into the computer) and turn on the computer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Worked perfectly
by Ny197524 / February 27, 2014 2:06 AM PST

Thank you Manpreet. Had the same issue, used this solution to fix it, and it worked great. I did get a checksum error initially, as the bios was looking for the floppy drive, just hit F2 and disabled floppy. Everything works great now.

Collapse -
Answer
Let's forget the manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 5:29 AM PST

Did you try setup and then save and exit in the bios setup screen?

If that fails, the error could be the battery is not good or in wrong.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Dell Inspiron 531 CMOS Battery Failed Error
by SsnL / December 5, 2012 5:16 PM PST

Hi Bob

Thanks. Yes, saved and exited correctly, had to reset system date and time as it was miles behind, and as mentioned above system time and date are now correct so there can't be a problem with the battery or the seating.

Susan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.