Dell

Resolved Question

Dell Inspiron 530S

by itsdigger / May 11, 2013 9:35 AM PDT

seems to have a power problem . This morning I pressed the power button to start up and the power button just stayed yellow instead of blue and the machine did nothing. No fans or light from the graphics card.I pressed the button a few more times and still it didn't change so I unplugged it and unplugged the monitor, keyboard and mouse and plugged the power cord back in and still nothing but a yellow power button . I opened the case and took out the graphics card and the wireless adapter and still nothing. Now not even a yellow power button. I'm thinkin' a new psu is in order. would that be a safe bet? I looked around and found this through Amazon http://www.amazon.com/KENTEK-Replacement-TFX0250D5WB-DPS-250ab-28-04G185021200DE/dp/B008551ZI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368305023&sr=8-1&keywords=400W+TFX+Replacement+Dell+Power+Supply will this do the job?...Digger

itsdigger has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron 530S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron 530S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by itsdigger

Collapse -
I'd try that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2013 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell Inspiron 530S
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oc4maHsnL._SY300_.jpg is a little interesting as we see the power plug is that ATX20/24 so this means that it would be possible to do the GREEN WIRE PSU TEST (see google) and then see if power comes out (I use a Volt Meter.)

No canned air required. Just "Clippy".
Bob
Collapse -
re: Green wire test
by itsdigger / May 11, 2013 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd try that one.

the fan tried to spin like a quarter turn (made me jump lol) and than stopped and that's it.

Collapse -
(NT) It's dead Jim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2013 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: re: Green wire test
Collapse -
geez
by itsdigger / May 11, 2013 2:49 PM PDT
In reply to: It's dead Jim.
Collapse -
Nice choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2013 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: geez

I recall that model is often noted at tomshardware for it's efficient power usage. That is, it delivers the most polygons per Watt.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by itsdigger / May 12, 2013 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice choice.

as always "You Da Man" ! I'm gonna put the 5450 I was using in a neighbors old Compaq Presario and make her day . I'll let ya know when I get the stuff and installed. Thanks ...Digger

Collapse -
Got'er Done!
by itsdigger / May 21, 2013 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

Hooked up my new 400 watt psu and my new gpu and the Dells up and running. It was easier than I thought! I had to give up my wireless card though because the fans on the gpu hang over the slot . I don't need it anyway now because I moved the printer closer to the computer and ran a usb connector so all is well. Thanks again for the help....Digger

Collapse -
My 530 has been running a month now
by itsdigger / June 23, 2013 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Got'er Done!

and here's the specs . Hows it look?Hardware Monitoring : ITE IT8718F
Processor Voltage : 1.33 V
VIN1 : 3.02 V
+3.3V Voltage : 3.41 V
+5V Voltage : 5.05 V
+12V Voltage : 12.29 V
+5V VCCH : 5.13 V
VBAT : 3.22 V
TMPIN0 : 34 °C
TMPIN1 : 36 °C
FANIN0 : 1762 rpm
FANIN2 : 1520 rpm
:
Hardware Monitoring : ACPI
THRM : 40 °C
:
Processor Intel Pentium : Sensor DTS
Core 1 : 32 °C
Core 2 : 34 °C
:
AMD Radeon HD 6670 : ATI Catalyst Driver
Temperature : 41 °C
Fan : 40.0%
:
Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T
Hard Disk SAMSUNG HD321KJ : 38 °C

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.