Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dell Inspiron 530 won't turn on!

by chitown1974 / June 19, 2012 4:32 AM PDT

I've got a little problem today with my Inspiron 530. I went to turn on the computer by pressing the power button on the front and nothing happened. I looked at the back of the computer to make sure it was properly plugged in and there was no power light on in the back. I unplugged the machine, reset the surge outlet and plugged the cord back into the computer. The green light on the back near the power cord came on (steady green light) but it still will not power on using the front power button. No fan, no lights in front, nothing. Everything was working properly the day/night before. One issue I did notice a few days ago was while going to turn off the computer I accidentally clicked on "sleep" instead of "shut down". Instead of actually sending the computer into sleep mode the computer powered down. It started up fine a few hours later after shutting itself off. I have been having issues getting the computer to come out of sleep mode in the past month or so. It's past it's warranty and about 3 years old. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron 530 won't turn on!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron 530 won't turn on!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Desktop or laptop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 4:38 AM PDT

Try the old generic reset.

I'll write it for the laptop with the longer version over in the troubleshooting forum so ignore the battery if this is a desktop.

Remove AC POWER, slip out the battery (laptop only) then press and hold the power button for a full minute. Release button, slip in battery, apply AC and try again.

Collapse -
Re: Desktop or laptop?
by chitown1974 / June 19, 2012 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Desktop or laptop?

It's a desktop

Collapse -
I wrote this for both.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Desktop or laptop?

Your reply makes me wonder if you did the reset or not.

Collapse -
Re: I wrote this for both.
by chitown1974 / June 19, 2012 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I wrote this for both.

I haven't tried the reset. I'm actually away from the non working computer. I could definitely try a reset when I get home tonight. Any ideas if a reset doesn't work? Also, is this reset a factory reset? Will a reset erase anything as I don't have any backups made.

Collapse -
No it is just a reset. With power off, how could it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 4:51 AM PDT

This would be a first to erase files on a drive with the power removed.

As to your backups, let's hope you resolve that soon. For example, with dropbox giving you 2GB free what reason is there not to save what you can't lose?

Collapse -
by chitown1974 / June 19, 2012 4:56 AM PDT

I'll give it a shot. I've been reading a lot of forum about this issue and a lot of people claim this could be a motherboard problem or a power supply problem. Is that a possibility? I'm no computer genius. I will admit to being an idiot and not backing up what's on my HD.

Collapse -
Yes it could be. BUT!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2012 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: reset

But there is a pretty well known easy reset that we can do in 2 minutes that will resolve too many of these problems.

I see no reason to go into PC repairs at this point.

Collapse -
not the battery
by chitown1974 / June 19, 2012 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes it could be. BUT!

I've tried the battery suggestion and no luck. One thing I noticed was while plugged in there is a steady "amber" light on the motherboard while it's plugged in. Is this normal or is that an indication that something is wrong? I've still got a solid green LED on the back near the power cable but still nothing when I press the on button in front. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Now you look to be into PC repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: not the battery

There are thousands of posts about PC repair so I won't start another.

You have to make a choice of what parts you suspect and then change them.

You can google THE DEAD PC and THE GREEN WIRE POWER SUPPLY TEST to find these prior discussions. Your PC is not much different than any other so the same discussions apply.

Collapse -
Dell desktops
by Willy / June 20, 2012 3:14 AM PDT

I found far too many Dell PCs that had the infamous "bad caps" issue. This isn't totally the fault of Dell, but many users due to age and plain wear&tear of their PCs become a victim of bad caps. I mention this only because it has become somewhat common for me to check and/or replace the Dell mtrbd. as a std. action. usually doing so allows the PC to go on as if nothing happened. Google for bad caps examples and understand it needn't be so obvious to be a bad caps result. A slight tilt is often the result of a cap blown. Also, be aware that caps are over the elctronics of the PC.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
up and running!
by chitown1974 / June 22, 2012 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell desktops

got a new power supply and everything is now up and running!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.