Dell

General discussion

Dell Inspiron 1526 to HDTV connection using HDMI - NO AUDIO

by abhi.ko / May 1, 2009 10:37 PM PDT

Hi,

I connected my Dell Inspiron 1526 laptop, which has an HDMI port to the TV using an HDMI cable directly. The connection was easy and the video quality is very good. However, I cannot get audio through the TV for the media I play from the laptop, either online from Netflix or on the laptop, tried all the HDMI ports on the TV.

Do I need a separate cable for Audio, when the connection is done through an HDMI cable? Doesn't HDMI carry both audio and video signals, if so then why is the audio not playing through the TV's output. I have a Sony DVD player and home theater hooked up to the TV which is working fine, in terms of both audio and video.

The audio cables are connected to the audio out port on the back of the TV and into the audio in port on the DVD/home theater system, the video cable is connected from the DVD to the video port on the side of the Samsung TV. This connection is producing the desired results.

The PC to TV connection was tried without the home theater and with it, both ways there is only video and no audio. The only audio I can hear is from the laptop's speakers and not from the TV.

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
Processor: AMD Turion 64X2
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1270

Please help me resolve this issue and get audio through my TV or home theater.

Regards,
Abhi

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron 1526 to HDTV connection using HDMI - NO AUDIO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron 1526 to HDTV connection using HDMI - NO AUDIO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi, Abhi!
by Osprey4 / May 2, 2009 12:23 AM PDT

Try this. Enabling the Audio Settings for a TV
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Sound.
Under Sound, click the Playback tab.
NOTE: The default playback device is indicated with a green check mark.
If the HDMI device is not the default device, select it, click the Set Default button, and then click OK.

Make sure to reset it to spakers/headphone after you disconnect the HDMI cable.

Collapse -
Hey Thanks ..that did not work...! Any other ideas?
by abhi.ko / May 2, 2009 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi, Abhi!

Tried what you had suggested, but did not work, the options I have under playback are:
1) Speakers / Headphones
SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec
2) Digital Output Device (SPDIF Out)
SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec

The first one was the default one, but as per your suggestion I changed the default to the SPDIF one. Now all the sounds are cut off, no audio through either TV or Laptop, but the green wave button keeps fluctuating showing that it is detecting the audio, but no output is produced anywhere, wonder why this is?

Any suggestions or ideas? Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Abhi

Collapse -
add audio cables
by mlg63 / May 2, 2009 2:54 AM PDT

You need to add audio cables when connecting hdmi. It's actually a Hdmi/dvi connection and carries only video to tv. Your tv manual should have instructions for attaching a PC. It's slightly different than attaching a cable box with hdmi.

Collapse -
this is from the ATI help guide

On pre-ATI Radeon 2000 series graphics cards, the DVI output of the graphics card supplies video only. To connect this type of graphics card to an HDMI-compatible DTV, you need a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable to supply video to your DTV. You must also make a separate connection from the audio output of your computer to the audio input of your HDMI-compatible DTV.

and you stated your laptop's Video Card: ATI Radeon X1270 so you will need a separate cable for sound

also depending on what sound chip you have in your laptop . . . some had trouble with vista in the past year or so

Collapse -
Having HDMI issues too
by heelzsir23 / August 29, 2009 12:50 PM PDT

I am having the same problem with my desktop PC not producing sound from the HDMI --- HDMI connection. I have Gigabyte's NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT. I installed this card a few months ago.

Do I need an extra cord for this? If so, which one?

Collapse -
Have same Dell issue
by RussP275 / December 5, 2009 8:51 PM PST

Bought Dynex 32 from Best Buy (I'm working-class). Tried to connect sound on both Compaq laptop (VISTA) and Dell netbook w/HDMI (XP) -- nada.

Have BB warranty; new Dynex chip installed. Did not work.

Have been all over laptops -- just will not work. Have given up -- using boom-box for sound.

Very insane

Collapse -
no sound
by krazee186 / December 21, 2009 10:01 AM PST

Hey guys, I too had this problem. The HDMI cable DOES transmit sound as well as video. If you guys are using internet explorer this wont work though. If you try using mozilla it will most likely work. I tried for hours to mess with settings while trying to stream video from hulu but it just wouldnt work until I tried it with mozilla firefox. Also turn the tv off, connect the laptop, THEN turn on the tv. Hope if works for you guys

Collapse -
(NT) No sound with HDMI -- fixed
by RWDaniels / November 28, 2011 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: no sound
Collapse -
no sound with HDMI fixed
by RWDaniels / November 28, 2011 1:22 PM PST

My post got posted before it was finished. Anyway, I had the same no sound problem and none of the previous solutions helped. Then went to Control Panel/sound and had there was an icon for an Intel E321VL "display audio", made it the default device and after I did, I tried turning the tv off and on, tried using mozilla instead of IE and eventually discovered all my audio (IE and even itunes) working just fine off the TV now. Hope you find a solution

Collapse -
No sound with HDMI -- fixed
by RWDaniels / November 28, 2011 1:39 PM PST

One more thing, I noticed that when the cable was afterward disconnected, the icon for the E321vl did not appear in the Control Panel/sound setting area any more. So, make sure you are connected before trying this out. The nice thing was that even though I made this my default device, when it was unplugged the audio configuration nicely returned to the previous default.

Collapse -
inspiron 1526 for xp driver download
by albertshena / October 13, 2010 11:41 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.