Laptops forum

General discussion

by pheasantrun / March 14, 2006 2:06 AM PST

Hello, guys.

I had never seen an inspiron 1000 with a hard drive higher than 40 GB on the net.

Can my laptop support a higher hard disk. Its already has a 4200 rpm/ 40GB hard disk.

This Inspiron 1000 could use an 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm, 60, 80 or 100 GB hard disk?

Dell only offer as max a 40GB hard disk.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DELL INSPIRON 1000 HARD DRIVE.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DELL INSPIRON 1000 HARD DRIVE.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dell Inspron 1000 Hard Drive
by pattersonthomas / February 3, 2008 5:55 AM PST

can the Dell inspiron 1000 support a bigger hard drive? One bigger than the 40G that it come with.

Collapse -
Looks like the 127GB limit is in effect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2008 5:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Dell Inspiron 1000 hard drive upgrade
by tetsuo-shima / May 22, 2008 12:40 AM PDT

I have a Dell Inspiron 1000. I have installed a 160GB hard drive, and it works fine. The drive is a 5400 rpm drive.

I considered getting a 7200 rpm drive, but I decided not to because (1) a 7200 rpm drive may run hotter, and this laptop runs relatively hot already, (2) 7200 rpm drive only go a large as 100GB in PATA/IDE while you can get up to 250GB in the 5400 rpm variety, and (3) some of the speed increase your looking for can be felt by using a drive with more storage as the increase in density can reduce read times at the same rpm level.

I was particularly interested in a large drive because I use Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD. I wanted to put them all on the same machine. That informed my choice to some extent.

The most recent BIOS for this laptop is Dell A08. It will recognize the drive, but the BIOS will claim that there is only 137GB. If you do use multiple systems on you drive, be aware that any system that does not originate before the last cylinder recognized by the BIOS will not boot with LILO or GRUB, though it may appear in the list. If you're setting up a monolithic Windows system, you may have to use a partion editior (I recommend GParted) to expand your partition past that last cylinder, depending on the drive copy program you're using.

In any case, moving from 4200 to 5400 will feel significantly faster, and I whole heartedly encourage you to make the upgrade.

Dell doesn't tell you this, but you can also boost the RAM in this machine way past its alleged limit. They tell you that this laptop can only be expanded in its one available RAM slot by 256MB. That slot can take a 1GB SoDIMM. If they didn't solder the other chip down, it could take 2GB, but that might be overkill for this processor and bus speed.

Also, the NEC-6650A is a DVD-RW that fits in this laptop. Really cheap on eBay.

I know this is an old thread, but I hope this helps someone. This laptop isn't a speed demon, but it can to a lot with a just a few tweaks.

Collapse -
by LAWRENCESMITH71 / November 5, 2008 2:48 AM PST

with the ram chip added, a 1gb chip, does the system recognize it?
does it really work that way?

also, they say the cdrw/dvd-rom drive is integrated so can person get a dvd-rw into it at all?

Collapse -
memory upgrade
by djrobber / December 21, 2008 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: INSPIRON 1000

if you use a 1 gig PC2700 333 Mhz* un-buffered 200 pin SODIMM (2.5v)
the inspiron 1000 will recognize it instantly. No matter what dell's
manual or site claims, the chipset determines the ram addressable.
I just did this with a $40 chip from a local store, you can also order
*the soldered in memory on mine was slower, but it still worked

Collapse -
by Shneakyoleary / January 8, 2013 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: INSPIRON 1000

I added 1 GB the other day - it works perfect.

Collapse -
This is REALLY an old thread....
by Tinybeeber / January 15, 2010 5:35 AM PST

but Inspirons, being the Pinto of the laptop world, are still around. Since I've had my Inspiron (2+yrs), I have been running the Hitachi Travelstar HTS721010G9AT00 with no problems. Hard to find now, as IDE drives are being phased out. Worth it if you find them, though. is one place to get them. Google for others.

Collapse -
dell inspiron 1000
by JOEVAGAS / March 20, 2010 12:38 PM PDT

Dell says no replacement hard drive is available from them and they would not provide any suggested place to find it unless I first find the original buyer and tell them who it is. needless to say I will no longer ever buy any DELL products.They sent me a Sata HD and the 1000 uses a Pata. They say that all of their records say a SATA is to be used WOW.

Collapse -
RE: HTS721010G9AT00
by Tinybeeber / March 22, 2010 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: dell inspiron 1000

Hey Joevagas,

I just ordered another one from for $74. It is the HTS721060G9AT00, but they have the 80 and 100, as well. That included shipping. You don't go by the price request a quote. They are under warranty, too. They mostly deal in volume, but no problem buying just one. Getting it Wed. or Thurs. We shall see....

Collapse -
Update: Ordered a couple more...
by Tinybeeber / June 6, 2010 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: HTS721010G9AT00

from for friends. Just to clarify an earlier poster's concern about 'heat', they don't run HOT. The increase is negligible. Besides, for this Inspiron, I wouldn't think of using it without a cooler, regardless of which HDD I was running. My personal preference is the Rosewill RNA-3000. It is available at for under $20, and if it is on sale, it will be around $14 with free shipping. With a little program called DTemp.exe, you will see how cool everything stays.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.